Canadian Disco 2 Build

michaelgroves

Explorer
Most clutches I have done (but never a TD5, I concede), have been self bleeding. Just put fluid in, pump up and down a few times (not fast, or it aerates the fluid), and it gets rid of all the air. Barkes, I do your method: allowing fluid out on the down strokes, and closing the nipple again before the upstrokes, until it runs clear.

In any case, I can't see how air locks can cause a clutch to slip - as you say, it will just cause problems disengaging the plate.

Rod too long, mounting point wrong, plate in backwards, parts mismatch, something (a dowel?) preventing the bellhousing from being properly mated to the box...

Did you remember to reset the ECU's GREMLINS setting to "off"?

bobtail4x4

Adventurer
sorry to say this but...

the new clutch pressure plate and the flywheel are coated in a waxy substance to prevent rust in storage,
its normal to wipe it off with a cloth soaked in gas,

I have heard of people cleaning an oil covered clutch with a can of coke, through one of the access points, not sure if its an option?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Looking at this page:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID010160

It seems all the TD5 and V8 slave side clutch actuating parts are the same. Rimmer Bros will differentiate between V8 and TD5 if there is a difference. So unless whoever built my box hung the wrong parts on it...

I also see that most of the clutch release parts are the same for the late model Defender as Disco, making a mixup even less likely.

But then, what the hell is this?!

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-FRC2402

AlexJet

Explorer
Looks like things getting together fine.
We missed you at Camp NL this year.
BTW, I've done that trail where you flooded the Disco. The water was 42" deep in one hole and around 3' at several others. My rear locker failed, so I nearly stuck in that deep one, but made it through. It was very muddy on the bottom. We sank sold axle Xterra on 37 with ~6" and TJ on 44s. The bow wave covered my wipers and was over the mirrors. Lucky I had a snorkel. So I paid the hole back for stucking your truck there alst year. I wished we could of done it togeteher with your Disco. I hope we'll come back there next year...

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Well, I went and drove the truck around town at lunch. Much more clutching, starts and stops, stop lights, etc. than my commute which is pretty much a cruise at 80 km/h. I didn't think much at first, but driving down my street in the industrial park, I gave it a bit of a caning
driving_smiley.gif
, and the clutch held! I was able to row through the gears and use full throttle in 3rd and 4th! :wings:

Not sure yet, but, there's hope. I got under the truck after to smell the clutch, and there was nothing so I don't think I got it too hot.
PRAYER.gif

So, I'll bleed the clutch tonight because I still think it needs it. And make a shift knob, because the threads are not comfortable. :elkgrin:

Alex, Crystal Lake trail? Sounds like the water is deeper than before, or I just didn't get far enough. Did you make it all the way through? Could you not fit through the bypass? I know it was tough for me, your truck is even bigger.

I'm hoping to get out and do some trails in September/October with some JK guys, and I'll for sure let you know. Really good bunch of guys. Only thing is my truck is definitely the smallest!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yup, on the drive home, much better. I think in 5th gear, full throttle, it might have been slipping about 200rpm, but it's hard to tell because the truck is accelerating at the same time. In any case, it's getting much better. I was even able to spin the inside tires accelerating from a stop and turning from a stop sign in 1st. Maybe I will be able to use the truck for our vacation next week.

AlexJet

Explorer
Alex, Crystal Lake trail? Sounds like the water is deeper than before, or I just didn't get far enough. Did you make it all the way through? Could you not fit through the bypass? I know it was tough for me, your truck is even bigger.

Yep,I made it through all the way. I didn't even used bypasses, just decided I'll go through and use bypass if I can't make it through. Kind of familiar decision..."I have a snorkel, so should make it"... :)
It was fun. My started had problems all week after, but looks like I fix it and my pulleys sounds now like I have F15 jet engine under the hood. Everything else is fine. Oh, except, the grease gone from U-joints and Fab joints. Lubed the U-joints, but have to take fab joints apart to re-lub them.

Oilburner

Adventurer
For the clutch slipping issue you need to clean off the oil/cosmolene off the flywheel and pressure plate. Press the clutch pedal down, have someone hold it and spray a can or two of brake kleen into the bellhousing, preferably while the whole mess is running and flywheel is spinning. You should have cleaned it off before you stabbed the trans back in.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
It's totally fine now. I only wonder if the clutch is totally releasing because it's hard to shift sometimes. Or is just it because the R380 sucks.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Check your fluid too. So a week after completion what's your verdict Rob? Do you like the r380 or do you love it

Oilburner

Adventurer
It's totally fine now. I only wonder if the clutch is totally releasing because it's hard to shift sometimes. Or is just it because the R380 sucks.

It's probably cause your clutch is glazed from the oil you left on it and your flywheel has hot spots now. If that's the case it will get better.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
It's probably cause your clutch is glazed from the oil you left on it and your flywheel has hot spots now. If that's the case it will get better.

Maybe that makes sense because it shifted better early on. Then I tried rebleeding the clutch, and it was way worse with lots of air in it. So I bled it again, and now it feels the same as the first time, maybe a little better for pedal feel, but the shift quality just isn't there.

Otherwise, I love the R380 for all the same reasons I love manuals in every other car. Control. I like being able to downshift before a corner, and be in the right gear in the corner. I can be in the right gear before I get to a hill. Etc. And I love the sound with the 5 speed, and the stock exhaust with the resonator cut off, and especially with the idlers I replaced yesterday which had been screaming like a supercharger on helium for a long time.

This V8 sounds great uncorked a bit. Real nice burble, and it's just not the same with an auto. Overall, the whole thing is just a better driving experience. Except for the shifting.

Doesn't help my parents are visiting with their Civic (even my Mom drives a 5 speed at 60) and it shifts better than any car I've ever owned.

I guess I like it, if it shifted better, I would love it.

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
For giggles you need to drive some recent TJs and JKs to see what the shifter feel is like compared to the R380. I know I'd like to compare them. But I'm an automatic 4x4 guy so it's more a point of interest/curiosity than anything.

I'm spoiled with shifting feel. Between the S2000 and a new style Civic LX and Civic Si I cringe whenever I try a different car. BMWs are pretty decent though. I drove a DSG BMW Z4 at the autocross on Saturday and left it fully auto. Bad idea... what was I thinking?

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
For giggles you need to drive some recent TJs and JKs to see what the shifter feel is like compared to the R380. I know I'd like to compare them. But I'm an automatic 4x4 guy so it's more a point of interest/curiosity than anything.

I'm spoiled with shifting feel. Between the S2000 and a new style Civic LX and Civic Si I cringe whenever I try a different car. BMWs are pretty decent though. I drove a DSG BMW Z4 at the autocross on Saturday and left it fully auto. Bad idea... what was I thinking?

I have a raceprepped s2000 and a race prepped e36 m3. Both forced induction. I can't begin to tell you what a pleasure shifting the s2000 is. I honestly prefer it to almost any car out there. 911s included.

I want to shake the hand of the man that designed it. And the monocoque body.

-Sam

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I did try a JK briefly a little while ago. I'd need more seat time. I know it wasn't great, I ground the gears a bit trying to shift quick, and had to slow down.

Oh, and the redline on the RV8 is super low. 5250rpm. I don't think I've ever had a car that low. The Mustang didn't make any power after 5250, but it would go to 6000 I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles