Aerial Photography

jh504

Explorer
Anyone here using RC setups for aerial photography? I have been kicking around the idea for a while and I am thinking of diving into it. I would like to hear from anyone with experience what kind of setup they are using. Here is a video shot with a 7D on a heli platform.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuQvZu7PGN4"]YouTube- Aerial video with a Canon 5D , 7D helivideo.com[/ame]

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Looks like it would be a really fun toy. I like the electric based chopper vs gas.

My problem is I'm already tapped out on hobby $ with my camera and accessories. My RC skills are limited at best. I think I would just keel over with a heart attack if I ever crashed it with high camera equipment on board.:Wow1:

The results if you have the funds and flight skills are amazing though. Be sure to post up your progress if you decide to go down this cool path.

ThomD

Explorer
Looks very expensive. I'm thinknig about putting this on my Christmas list.

01.jpg

AR Drone

Wander

Expedition Leader
Cool business idea but I know I'd wreck the heck out of it and then be very, very ill.

I could see a big market for the video/stills as you could cut the usual aerial fee by a huge margin.

A friend of mine was in the SLC area and booked and hour or two of chopper time to take aerial shots of the Wasatch Range. The shots came out great and I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
This $16k toy was flying around the recent We-Rock 4x4 event here in town, very neat to watch the two man team run the rig. One flew the heli while the other controled the 3 axis controls of the camera.

2263117810102496289S600x600Q85.jpg

2559815950102496289S600x600Q85.jpg

(photos courtesy of Joe @ Teraflex)

jh504

Explorer
This $16k toy was flying around the recent We-Rock 4x4 event here in town, very neat to watch the two man team run the rig. One flew the heli while the other controled the 3 axis controls of the camera.

2263117810102496289S600x600Q85.jpg

2559815950102496289S600x600Q85.jpg

(photos courtesy of Joe @ Teraflex)

That is a VERY nice setup. I am looking into some cheaper options. I am mainly thinking of using it for photography and not videography so hopefully I can get by with simpler equipment.

Crashing with a DSLR on board would be devastating. I would definitely have the whole setup insured. I will keep the board informed. Currently looking at some Trex 600 heli's to start out with.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Crashing with a DSLR on board would be devastating. I would definitely have the whole setup insured.

Check out State Farm. Just called for a quote and was surprised that to have $20,000 worth of equipment it was only $250 for the year, with no deductable. That's not all that bad and they cover the equipment for full replacement value, so if you can find or buy it used, you're actually gonna make money if anything happens to it.

If I had a DSLR strapped to that chopper, I'd have it insured 100%

Cant wait to see some of your photos

jh504

Explorer
Check out State Farm. Just called for a quote and was surprised that to have $20,000 worth of equipment it was only $250 for the year, with no deductable. That's not all that bad and they cover the equipment for full replacement value, so if you can find or buy it used, you're actually gonna make money if anything happens to it.

If I had a DSLR strapped to that chopper, I'd have it insured 100%

Cant wait to see some of your photos

Thanks for the info, that is very encouraging. I have my house insured with State Farm and I was going to eventually contact them about the equipment. I wonder what their stipulations for pay out on claims are. They may not be so eager to pay out if they know I am flying camera equipment around in the air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles