Temp/Compass 510 Resistor

gfiero

Adventurer
My overhead Temp Compass Console died a couple of days ago, for about an hour I heard a tiny rattle. This afternoon when I pulled it out to resolder the 510 resistor (The historical culprit) I found one missing. That was the tiny rattle.... so to make th repair I need a new one.

Toyota is of not help, they just want to sell me the whole unit for $900.00.

I feel so used.........

Thanks

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
DON'T BUY ONE FROM THE DEALER!
It's a common problem. I found some excellent info on the subject via Google when mine failed.

Here's one from TRDParts4U for $106.42.

ryguy

Adventurer
Common problem on these newer tacos but you dont need the whole overhead console. Your dealer needs to do their homework.
83290-04030-$147.50 list.

gfiero

Adventurer
Thanks for the info and ammunition, I will be speaking to the dealer this afternoon.:sombrero:

gfiero

Adventurer
Fixxed!

I purchased some 510 resistors (25 to a pack) and did the work, it works fine... Cost $1.99 for the resistors, $106.95 for the module and $900.00 for the whole console. Toyota dealers her in L.A. would only quote me the console. Greed run amok!

Any way I have 23 1/4 w 51 ohm resistors left, any one needs a couple send me a pm.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I purchased some 510 resistors (25 to a pack) and did the work, it works fine... Cost $1.99 for the resistors, $106.95 for the module and $900.00 for the whole console. Toyota dealers here in L.A. would only quote me the console. Greed run amok!

Anyone who gets that run about parts prices and availability from dealers in the future should contact Jacque at Toyota of Dallas (TRDparts4U dot com), they will not play games with you.

Last edited:

RU55ELL

Explorer
My overhead went out this morning, too. I'll resolder it back when I can borrow the iron and solder from a buddy of mine.

algriff

where did you get the 510 resistors?? I tried to solder mine but I think I fried the resistor cause nothing works.

Toyota is of not help, they just want to sell me the whole unit for $900.00.

Thanks

I often wonder why dealers are so uninformed. Then I spoke with the Dodge dealer about the trans in my Cummins truck and I get it now. This guy was STUPID! Not just uninformed, but dumb.

Toyota needs to realize that there's a huge market here in the states for guys who like to (and are capable of) work on their own stuff. Stop stone walling us and help us out. Jeep has their finger on the pulse. You can buy a Hemi conversion for your JK over the counter.

vicali

Adventurer
I resoldered mine and a friends, then replaced both with the proper resistors when they crapped out a year later.. They've been good for three now.. Total cost was somewhere around $1.50..

Still looking for a solid link to where I can buy these resistors. I dont know all of the exact specs on the resistor except the 510 mark on the top. When I search for it I need to narrow down the search and cant find the specs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles