The $15,000 Expedition Vehicle: How would you build it?

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
1: White 1996 Dodge ram 3/4 ton 4x4 with the cummins.

2: Four wheel popup camper (or similar), used (obviously).

3: Fridge

4: Winch.

5: Air compressor.

done.

:iagree: except I would go with a 89-93 dodge (no CAD 4wd system), a 4" lift to soften up the suspension a lot and 35" agressive all terrain tire.

These trucks can be had very cheap, have virtually no electronics on the engine, and are dirt cheap to modify. Plus a nearly bullet prof drivetrain.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
No expert here, but from the looks of it, 10k might have been a better "challenge" :)

I think if the OP was going for a vehicle that couldn't be bought for less than $5K, then $15k is a good challenge, but so many vehicles are available cheaply (especially if you are planning on staying close to US borders)... Now, if this was "Build a LC 80/Tacoma/4Runner/Xterra/Rover for $15K" it would be a challenge...

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Plus, I have an entire spare truck if I need anything off of it... I doubt I'll spend that much though, most of my stuff will be made myself or purchased used...
Original task was to build a vehicle for a 6 months trip to Tierra de Fuego; you will therefore have to add a trailer to drag your spare truck with you through Latin America ... ;) But your set-up sounds quite capable.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
Original task was to build a vehicle for a 6 months trip to Tierra de Fuego; you will therefore have to add a trailer to drag your spare truck with you through Latin America ... ;) But your set-up sounds quite capable.

That's what I get for not reading the entire thread! Actually, if I were to do that, I'd disassemble the parts truck and put the parts in boxes and label them... That way I could easily have someone go pick up whatever I needed and ship it to me... A trip that far outside the US and I would go for a different truck though...

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I would take a stock 80 series ,preferably a FZJ80,add a bullbar,roofrack and spare tyre carrier.
Tyres to suit the terrain and availabilty.
Throw in the fridge and camping gear and be gone in the morning.

Things I would NOT be taking would be a huge lift,modified diffs,rows of spotlights,anything bigger than 33in tyres.
It is after all going to be a road trip with side tours that may involve sensible wheeling.
Its foolhardy to do serious offroad work when a long way from home so you dont really need it
Keeping the weight down is being kind to your truck.

VicHanson

Adventurer
My $10,000 semi-expo rig was an Izusu NPR (only 2 wheel drive) for $5000 and build a camper on the back for another $5000. I have spend a couple of weeks planning and searching for parts and materials via the Internet and I am currently at over $18,000 and haven't gotten to all the 'little' things yet! Can't believe the price of plywood these days, and I need about 50 sheets of 3/8" (21' cab over)!

I decided to allow up to $8000 for the truck to get a newer model or lower miles, so that was part of it. And the electric power and stuff adds up real quick, I'm at about $3500 now for 240 W of solar panels, 400 W wind generator, 400 AH of deep cycle batteries, inverter, charger, controls, etc. (with a small gas generator for backup). I plan on living in it full time, totally self contained for extended back country use, so not counting on any access to the electric power grid. This will be for North American use only, or maybe into Mexico/Central America.

Starting to think I should get a $3000 - $5000 trailer and mount that on the back! Or buying a wrecked one to get the parts out of it. But that still doesn't get me the electric power.

Vic

AmityFJ

Observer
I think my old 4cyl 95 Tacoma would of been a great vehicle to start off with.

tacoma3.jpg

tacoma1.jpg

I bought her for 5K and sold her for 5K and I regret doing so.

With a small lift and all terrains, communication/nav gear, minimal armor, winch and maybe a fridge you would be good to go. Less is more. Probably cost 10K after all said and done. If I was planning to go down to Central/South America, I would try and keep a low profile (blend in with the local transportation) and I think Toyota pickups would fit the bill.

Last edited:

strange

Observer
hmm ill give her a stab, what im currently doing
its main purpose is daily driver so,
really clean 95 bronco -$5,000
had 33s
junkyard lift+new springs -$200
sell stock 5.0 and auto +$500
Cummins 4bt and ZF5 -$2600
random manual swap parts -$100
lights and electronics (cb) -$300
metal for bumpers and sliders -$200
got my norcold used for -$150
still need winch -$300-500

im sure im forgetting somthing but total of $8,400

and its a fullsize 4x4 rig with a well over 700 mile range per tank
since its my daily driver i spent some money on a nice one, but you get an older not as nice one for like 1500.
so split the difference and your around $5k

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That would mean I would get to spend about 11-12K more on my Dodge :)

I didn't think I would ever like a Dodge truck this much, but its hard to beat a truck that comes with a Cummins, granny 5spd, all gear np205 transfer case, Dana 70 rear with a powr-lok, and a dana 60 front all from the factory. Sure, I could change a lot of things for a stronger and more powerful truck, but what do you really need anyways.

To meet the requirements for this little exercise I would....

-Change around the rear storage/sleeping system to use two cots that rolled up against the sides when not in use and allow easy access to the gear stored below. I would use cheap plastic storage containers from walmart with a decent tie down system. This would keep everything in the back pretty organized without costing a fortune.

-Build front and rear bumpers. Something simple, clean and fairly light.

-I would buy an affordable winch, something like a xrc10 smitybilt and install it on a multi-mount system to pull on the front or back. More importantly the winch could be stored in the back locked to the floor and hidden out of sight.

-Do some body work and paint the truck so I don't look like a midnight drug runner. Some Rustoleum would be fine as long as it was one color and reasonably smooth

-I would rip out the front seats and replace them with something comfortable. Some lower end suspension style seats would be more than enough.

-I would also mount a small fridge between the two front seats to act like a center console and provide icy cool beverages and some cold food storage.

I am sure I could think of more....but I would feel comfortable taking the truck on a trip like that generally like it is.

Start strong, build light, and keep it simple.

Viggen

Just here...
Bringing it Back!

This is a great thread. I would say a diesel 60 but that would eat about half the budget for a rusty example here in the states.

First Gen Isuzu Trooper- $1500-$2000 all day on CL
Acme Adapters TDi Conversion kit- $1000
Toyota 5 Speed with transfer case- $500- $650
Used TDi with computer- $2000- $3000
TDi programming- ~$500
Small lift- <$1000
33x9.50s- <$900
Random diesel conversion bits- <$500

Left over money would go towards the other things needed to get out there. The TDi can make in upwards of 165-180 hp and torque numbers in the mid 300s on stock internals and still return better than gasser mpg. A chip puts hp and tq numbers around the same as its stock gas numbers. Wont be a flex monster or anything but they are really stout trucks.

My other build would involve a First Gen 4 Runner and a FlipPac for a midsize quadcab pickup like a Tacoma or something. Figure out some way to enclose the cab using the original hardtop. Same drivetrain as above.

2001 Jeep Cherokee- $6,500
Rear bumper/tire carrier/fuel carrier- $1,100
Used ARB Bullbar- $350
8,000 lb winch- $500
Lighting- $250
Deep cycle battery- $250
Fridge-$500
Full OME suspension- $1,500
5 245/75R16 tires on OEM wheels- $625
Roof top tent- $800
------------------------------------------------
$12,375

Plenty of room for odds and ends like Communications, Navigation, organization and a medicine kit.

cocco78

Adventurer
I didn't read all of this but I'll give it a go here. I don't really know prices on all that fancy expo related gear but I think I have about 3 choices on rigs.

1. 1996-99 Jeep XJ sport, 4 door, 4.0L, 5 speed. 2000-01 had head cracking issues. I'd do a 3" rubicon express lift, 31" tires, and an aussie locker in the rear. Skip the the factory axles and go find a ford 8.8, keep the D30 front but bring an extra set of unit bearings. I would consider gearing to 4.10's. I would say $5000 for a real nice used XJ and maybe $3000 in upgrades. XJ's are all around the world so you should be able to find parts if need be.

2. 1992-95 Ford Bronco, 5.0L, no lift, 33" tires, aussie locker in the rear, some upgraded shocks... Yep thats about it. They are cavernous inside, the ride nicely thanks to the TTB front end and coil springs, and the drivetrain is pretty stout. Probably more limited on finding parts outside the US, and the newest one is 14 years old now. Keep some U-joints with you, a spare set of Warn hubs just in case, but if you keep the front open you should be set.

3. Oh maybe some sort of crew cab tacoma would be cool. I had a 2001 taco, reg cab, short bed, 4 cyl, 5 speed, 4x4 and thought it was a great little truck, seemed very durable but lacking room.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
15k isn't what I would consider cheap. Especially for the DIY type willing to fab things on their own.

I would start with a CHEAP vehicle. It's better to buy something as cheap as possible and replace everything than buy much more expensive and STILL need to replace everything or have parts with much more use if not replaced.

$1000 Bronco.
Rebuilt E40D $800 (by my brother in law-Ford tech)
$2,00 Rebuilt 302, including new water pmp, alt, starter

$450 Rebuilt rear 8.8 w/used aussie locker, free open carrier, forum sourced install kit, and used 4.56 gears. including H/D diff cover and fluids (do the work myself)

$550-600 Rebuilt front Dana 44 TTB with Dana 50 stub shaft (used-forum sourced) spicer joints, timken bearings mile marker premium hubs, 4.56's (used-forum sourced) forum sourced install kit and open 3.92 and up carrier.

$400 Rebuilt steering-rebuilt box, F350 2WD crew cab linkage, all new tie rod ends

$500 forum sourced and like new 35X12.5X18's with 18x9.5 wheels. Hankook MTO3's

$100 Trim fenders and tube/flat flares like on jeeps.

$300 Rear bumper with tire carrier, high lift and mount, built in ladder, DANA 44 spindle and hub for hinge, jerry can mounts with seperate swing out....

$350 custom front winch mount and shackles using stock bumper including harbor freight winch.

$100 Roof rack. Donated steel from atv crate, and sourced brackets.

This adds up to a grand total of

$6,550

This is my plan, and things that I have sourced already, or know that I can (for instance already discussed the trans rebuild with my brother in law)

On top of that price I would add some nice stock-ish height Deaver springs, front replacements from Napa, and some non reservoir Bilstein 7100's.
Maybe another $700

For my use I would add a roof top tent, on board shower system, and a fridge....

EASILY well below the 15k limit for a basically NEW vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94