FJ60 trailer build

wheelin62

Observer
More fender work today. Getting a little better using the Ready Welder on sheet metal. Was able to cut the rear body and weld in the front fenders. Tomorrow I am getting some more metal for the internal frame for the hood supports and hitch mechanism. Hoping by the end of the weekend to cut it away from the rest of the frame and sitting more like trailer.

Attachments

• trailer 13.JPG
    trailer 13.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 29
  • fender 4.JPG
    fender 4.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 22
  • fender 6.JPG
    fender 6.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 27
  • fender 7.JPG
    fender 7.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 30

wheelin62

Observer
Was able to fab up the hood hinge frame today. Made it out of 1.5" angle. The frame is bolted in using the existing fender holes and soon will be bolted to the floor. I also added a hinge spacer to lower the entire hood hinge so that it would sit lower beneath the top of the trailer. I will add a piece of plywood to the frame to separate the two compartments later. So the hood is functional, just need to add the latch and pull cable.

Attachments

• trailer 17.JPG
    trailer 17.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 21
  • trailer 15.JPG
    trailer 15.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 16
  • trailer 19.JPG
    trailer 19.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 20
  • trailer 18.JPG
    trailer 18.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 22
  • trailer 21.JPG
    trailer 21.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 28

wheelin62

Observer
After working on the hitch assembly some, and separating the trailer from the rest of the 60 frame, and setting the rear bumper on the frame, I couldn't resist to roll it up behind the cruiser to see what it will look like. Still more work to be done.

Attachments

• 1trailer.jpg
    1trailer.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 2trailer.jpg
    2trailer.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 3trailer.jpg
    3trailer.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 75

wheelin62

Observer
Started messing with the rear top portion behind the hood. Will have to add a section of roofing to widen it. Getting this section right will make or break the look of this. If this section doesn't work out well, I might just do a canvas top for this until I find a better solution. The pics give a general idea.

Attachments

• trailer 30.JPG
    trailer 30.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 29
  • trailer 29.JPG
    trailer 29.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 26

wheelin62

Observer
I love it! Looks like you need the section that goes under the windshield to make a nice transition there.

Yeah that would be nice to have. I am going to try and form the front section of the roof to match the hood. We'll see how that goes.

wheelin62

Observer
More work on the rear top portion. Went ahead and shaped both sides to the hood line, flushed it into the fenders, and then added a middle section. Need to splice a rain gutter edge to the middle and work on a frame of some sort for the support of the top.

Attachments

• trailer 31.JPG
    trailer 31.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 18
  • trailer 32.JPG
    trailer 32.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 30
  • trailer 33.JPG
    trailer 33.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 26
  • trailer 34.JPG
    trailer 34.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 22
  • trailer 35.JPG
    trailer 35.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 21

wheelin62

Observer
Finished adding the rest of the center section for the roof. Also put the tailgate on to see what I have to work with. Decided to change plans, I am going to hinge the roof section so it opens as well. This will solve some other problems foreseen, and it will make this side lockable using the lower 4 inches of the lift hatch. Need to make the frame for the roof section first.

Attachments

• trailer 38.JPG
    trailer 38.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 40
  • trailer 37.JPG
    trailer 37.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 19
  • trailer 36.JPG
    trailer 36.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 19

cgalpin

Observer
I had thought you were going to hinge it initially but then saw you had started to weld it up. It will definitely be more useful if it opens, but doesn't it make it a bit harder to build? Not disagreeing, I just expect it to be harder that way (but better).

G-force

Adventurer
This is definately gonna be a cool "one of":ylsmoke:

Saw this tread as it started, and was a bit quorious. Could this be anything close to pleasent to look at?? Following the work you do, i seem to like your build more and more. And now with pictures behind your 60, i really dig it:sombrero:

Seeing myself behind in line of your trailer, laughing my a* of, seeing it!

Cool, and keep it up:coffeedrink:

wheelin62

Observer
I had thought you were going to hinge it initially but then saw you had started to weld it up. It will definitely be more useful if it opens, but doesn't it make it a bit harder to build? Not disagreeing, I just expect it to be harder that way (but better).

Yes and no. Making the hinges, framing it up well, and lining things up yes. But if I kept it permanent I would have to weld in the lower portion of the lift hatch to the tailgate to fill the gap. Then I would have to rework the tailgate latch so I could open it.
At this point there really arent any plans, it's now trial and error to see what will work best, and I knew this back part would take some creative solutions.

wheelin62

Observer
Worked on the rear roof hatch. Cut the lower section of the factory lift hatch. Shaped the upper portion to fit the roof line. Also started on the frame for the roof section. Probably not the best way, but I had some angle left and decided to use that. It works and gets the job done. I was just happy I got the outer edges to match the fender lines. Next is finish welding the the frame and work on some hinges. Nice to see it all enclosed.

Attachments

• trailer 39.JPG
    trailer 39.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 20
  • trailer 40.JPG
    trailer 40.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 18
  • trailer 41.JPG
    trailer 41.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 18
  • trailer 42.JPG
    trailer 42.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 25
  • trailer 43.JPG
    trailer 43.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 17

cgalpin

Observer
Impressive! What's your plan for the rain gutter in the middle? Worry about that after the frame/hinges are done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior