Toyota truck-based SUV before the 4runner - What was it called?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Okay, this thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27478

About the Nissan Bushmaster got me to thinking and remembering (both quite dangerous!! :sombrero: )

Back around 1982 - 83, there was at least one, possibly more, custom vehicle makers that were taking the 80-83 bodied Toyota 4x4 pickups, putting a cab-high fiberglass shell on it, then cutting out the back of the cab and the front of the bed and putting a "pass through" from the cab to the back of the truck, carpeting the rear of the truck, and selling it through Toyota dealers as a kind of new SUV (though I don't remember the term "Sport Utility Vehicle" being in the vernacular at that time.)

Does anyone remember what they were called?

FWIW there were some oddball vehicles around at that time. Another "conversion" that was sold at Toyota dealerships on the 84-89 pickups was the "crew cab" conversion. They cut a pickup in half behind the cab and added a fiberglass compartment to give the vehicle a "crew cab" effect, except that the extended portion did not have doors. I still see these around occasionally, and snapped a photo of one in Denver a few years ago:

052808_16521.jpg

That's a long bed and you can see that the addition of the "crew cab" gives it a truly limousine-length wheelbase! I can't imagine that vehicle gets taken on many Rocky Mountain trails and I'll bet it's an SOB to park!

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
I see those Trekkers on Craigslist every now and then, pretty neat little trucks.

As far as parking one of those, probably no worse than one of those mega-cab Dodges! Holy smokes, I saw one at Costco this weekend and didnt realize just how BIG they are.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I always thought that was a great concept. Even before the Trekker, I remember reading some 4wd magazines back in the 70's and some custom coach builders would occasionally do the same thing with a full size 4x4 truck.

I wonder if it would even be possible to do that today? Think about all the people who would like to have a 4runner but with a manual transmission, and who don't mind 2 doors (maybe even a 4 cyl motor for simplicity and economy.) A custom coach builder could buy a stripped down Taco and then get to work: Cab high topper, connect the bed and the cab, cut the cab wall and do the pass-through, put in carpeting and a back seat and some seat belts and voila - you have your ultimate SUV.

Only flaw I can think of is that it would likely not pass the current safety laws, which I think would prevent it from being sold through the dealership. Warranty service might also be tricky. Although I don't think that would prevent a coach builder from offering to turn an already owned Taco into such a vehicle (although, again, warranty would be iffy once you start taking a Sawzall to the body.)

I can't imagine that vehicle gets taken on many Rocky Mountain trails and I'll bet it's an SOB to park!

It is... There was a recent-model pickup with a lift on it, probably about 3 feet shorter. I parked next to it at the Food Hole. When I got out, I watched the driver get into his truck, and try to pull out of his spot, and he couldn't get out. I had to get out of my spot before he could.

Is it possible that whoever designs these parking spaces do it on purpose to force you out of your older, larger vehicles into these newer "mobile sofas" putting around town like really fast, street-legal modern go-carts? I would NOT be surprised...

Stephanie

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
There were actualy 3 versions

The aforementioned "Trekker"
Toyota_Trekker_1981.jpg

rdunntrekker1.jpg

62088319zImRqV_ph.jpg

62088308afhwZJ_ph.jpg

Here's the "Trailblazer the TB is my least favorite of the three.
tblazer.jpg

attachment.php

And the Elusive and IMO very cool/Turtle looking... "WOLVERINE
Wolverine2.jpg

and OK... I'll come out and say it... I LOVE THIS TRUCK.
Wolverine1.jpg

The "Project Super-Turtle" moniker I've bestowed on my current 1st Gen 4Runner, would go SO well on this truck, plus no SAS nessescary... I just like the looks alot. Drop in a 1KZ-T/R151 combo and maybe a 2nd gen 4x4 interior with a pop-up made out of the rear roof section, and I'd be set...

Funny thing is even untill the 1st Gen 4Runner was made, they were shipping them in w/o rear seats and carpets and calling them Pick-ups/Trucks. Then the dealer would install the carpet and rear seats and they'd magicaly turn into SUV's...there was a teriff implied on non us made SUV's at the time. As such, even thought they were alot tougher in every way, they were viewed as cruder and not as fancy as the Jeeps and Bronco's of the day and the price was just insulting for what you got -at least on the surface, but clearly not under the skin ;)...turns out they were biult ten times better then those old Cherokee's and Bronco II's... So you got what you paid for. Still do, always will. but hell the US Gov had to find some way to Keep Jeep, the BroncoII and the S-10 blazer afloat. Hence the "Chicken Tax"

yes the Us Government has been helping keep the Big 3 viable formany years beofre their current bail-out. Those bastards...

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
OT I know but here's another neat truck Toyota made back in the day:

The Stout:
File:Toyopet_Stout_1900.jpg

toyota001.jpg

ToyotaStout19664.jpg

Cool Crew-cab
Anuncio3.jpg
[/IMG]

This one looks ready for an Expo even in 2wd guize
Toyota_truck1.jpg

I used to have some sweet pictures of an SAS'd one that was Yellow and al 4x4'd out...very neat. Interesting reading Wiki on Toyota, I never realized that their first post-war car was a fully IFS/IRS set-up that basicly had a here and there little differences Volkswagen Beetle... No kidding it looked exactly like a beetle... Pretty cool though to read their history etc. I guess I'd also forgotten that the first Cruisers didn't even have a hi-lo range box... And they still went like stink eh ;) That's Totota for you, they never let ya down. I love what you do for me TOYOTA!!!!

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I'm now finding myself scouring the papers aand internet for more Wolverine info and for sale's... I really think that could make for a perfect 2person explorer much like my current 1st Gen 4Runner... I'm now officaly fascinated with them. But not so buch the Trail Blazer or Trekker (although I like the Trekker more) the Wolverine has just caught my eye with it's but-ugly good looks and oh so great-to-start-from rear cabin.

Cheers

Dave

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
And the Elusive and IMO very cool/Turtle looking... "WOLVERINE
Wolverine2.jpg

and OK... I'll come out and say it... I LOVE THIS TRUCK.
Wolverine1.jpg

Hmmm... I've seen a few Trekkers and Trailblazers over the years but NEVER have I seen a Wolverine.... uber, uber rare - unobtainium!!!

:coffeedrink:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Funny thing is even untill the 1st Gen 4Runner was made, they were shipping them in w/o rear seats and carpets and calling them Pick-ups/Trucks.

Unless I'm mistaken, the first 4Runners were shipped w/o rear seats, as well. My '85 had a really crappy dealer-installed, non-toyota rear seat.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Unless I'm mistaken, the first 4Runners were shipped w/o rear seats, as well. My '85 had a really crappy dealer-installed, non-toyota rear seat.

Yeah correct, that's what I was trying to say. My 89's rear area is FAR different from my mates 85... Those seats the Dealers installed were horrible IMO.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94