And it begins. Stump XJ's trailer build.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Its probably not a big deal at all, I was just justifying the destruction and resurection of a perfectly good, but unused trailer. :D

Yes, its my personal home garage (thanks!), and yep I am doing all of the cutting and bending of the sheet metal. Its not that hard honestly.

~James

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I didn't read the whole thread - maybe this has been addressed.

I'm worried about the lack of bushing element at the radius arm to axle interface.

All the moments with articulation are going to be bind up the arm. I'm guessing the frame side of the arms are going to start cracking the mounts on the frame.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
moose, 60's era american pickups used the same set up on the rear, and they did fine. ive had plans to do the same set-up whenever i swap over to coils on my trailer, i'm not worried about it.

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I didn't read the whole thread - maybe this has been addressed.

I'm worried about the lack of bushing element at the radius arm to axle interface.

All the moments with articulation are going to be bind up the arm. I'm guessing the frame side of the arms are going to start cracking the mounts on the frame.

Not much to address really. You cant think of it like a car/truck where the drivetrain is contantly under a twisting force due to the rotational physics of axles, tires etc. A trailer is just being dragged behind the vehicle. All those arms do is keep the axle center under the trailer and provide an attachement and pivot point. Not much articulation needed, and what twisting will be involved will be forcibly absorbed by the coupler. Just the way it works. With that being said, there is quite a bit of true articulation in this set-up simply with the front bushings but it will never be realized since the coupler will soak up any twisting first. Honestly, with a trailer you could weld the axle directly to the frame rails, and it would articulate on the coupler better than any 'super suspension' anyone could dream up. It would ride very rough, but would twist until it flopped over on the coupler. Obvisouly not the same for a solid axle vehicle.

Many trucks use a 2 arm trailing arm suspension in a similar manner, with either a triangulated trailing arm, or with a panhard bar like my set-up. Late 60's and early 70's chevy trucks use this system

Here is an aftermarket trailing arm suspension for hotrod trucks.

0709st_46_z+suspension_buyers_guide+trailing_arm_kit.jpg

Last edited:

gunny1001

Adventurer
James..
I just read through the whole build..Freakin awesome...U ready to build some bumpers and skid plates for my 4 runner? :ylsmoke:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I see what you are saying wrt the coupler ball taking all the twist forces.

I need to see this in action (i.e. off-road - not on-road).

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Yeah, I cant wait to get her offroad. If the stars align correctly, it will be in two weeks up in the mountains. It obviously wont be finished, but it will be good enough for a quick shake down run.

Here is a good picture showing how the trailers we build 'articulate'. :) The axle is still very much parrallel with the frame. I think most off-road trailer manufacturers shoot for ground clearance (which I am at about 25 inches to the frame rail), and enough travel to soak up lots of bumps, which is where the airbags/shocks and fairly smooth travel of the trailing arms come into play.

Thanks for the comments! ~ James

4x4trailer__19_.jpg

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
James..
I just read through the whole build..Freakin awesome...U ready to build some bumpers and skid plates for my 4 runner? :ylsmoke:

David, just say the word bro. I have offered up my services/equipment to all of my fellow Expo'ers. Not many have taken me up on the offer, but its there. Buy the materials, and bring em over.

~James

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I think I'm going to be plotting articulation charts and free body diagrams in my head all night now. LOL

seanz0rz

Adventurer
curious, and maybe i missed it if you said, where did you get your gas struts for the lid? im about to start back on my trailer and its one of the missing pieces i still have yet to figure out.

thanks! wonderful trailer build!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Stumpy,
Just thinking about our trip coming up --- from my experience, this might not be the best time to use your water tank unless you can figure out how to heat it. I only did it once (October '08 in Cataloochee) and we had an interesting time defrosting the petcock.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
curious, and maybe i missed it if you said, where did you get your gas struts for the lid? im about to start back on my trailer and its one of the missing pieces i still have yet to figure out.

thanks! wonderful trailer build!

Sean, I got the gas springs from McMaster Carr. It was wierd, I ordered them on Sunday night online, they said they would ship out on Monday morning, and I got them at 2pm on Monday. The same day they shipped out. I can honestly say that has never happened before!

Here is where they start in the catalog, and go for a couple pages. Good info in there too.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-springs/=5ctvph

Here are the actual ones I got, came with the ends and everything. For $21 bucks each, I figured I couldnt go wrong.

Part number 4138T63 (250 pound)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#4138t63/=5ctwen

Thanks!

Stumpy,
Just thinking about our trip coming up --- from my experience, this might not be the best time to use your water tank unless you can figure out how to heat it. I only did it once (October '08 in Cataloochee) and we had an interesting time defrosting the petcock.

I was going to ask how folks kept their tanks from freezing... I guess that answers my question! I will wait to see what the temps will be before filling up. Honestly, I probably wont have the pump and battery wired up anyway, so I wont be using it. If there are also any chances of precip, the trailer wont be going since it likely wont be painted by then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier