Gear's TW200

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
DSC_7691.jpg

Back in the saddle again! After a failed attempt to get a none California compliant TW200 registered I managed to return it and pick up this little gem. Here is my new to me 2008 Yamaha TW200 with 148 miles on it. Got it home and did a quick oil change on it. I then loaded it up for a maiden voyage out to Arizona for the Overland Training, Wilderness First Aid Course. I was able to do a nice 2 hour ride on the way out to Prescott, AZ. Here is the new bike and a quick trip report.

I explored the Black Mountain Road off the 78 just north east of Glamis.

Here is a link to GPS satellite image of the area and ride. When you open it up click on the right side satellite / large / and then zoom in and hit play.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/8753276

DSC_7693.jpg

The new bike came with an after market rack and a Pelican case on the back. Worked out nicely for putting the camera in. All thought I am planning on changing this setup.

DSC_7704.jpg

Plenty of trails to explore.

DSC_7709.jpg

I had hoped to ride out to the Colorado River. Do to time constraints I did not make my objective.

DSC_7717.jpg

This road was looking really promising(marked EC 815). Unfortunately I ran into this sign with a no motorcycles past this point. So I turned around.

DSC_7725.jpg

This is coming back out of EC 815. Just enough interest to keep things exciting.

DSC_7726.jpg

Then I found another road that started down this very long wash. Ran into this little guy. At this point I turned around do to time constraints. I wanted to be in Prescott, AZ buy night fall.

DSC_7735.jpg

DSC_7737.jpg

I ended up taking a different trail out to the 78. Definitely easier then the sand wash.

In total I rode just under 32 miles in 2 1/2 hours. The new bike handled the terrain Great! I am looking forward to starting in on some mild modifications as well as getting out on the back roads.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Nice.

I have a '96 T-Dub in the garage that Marisa rides around every now and then . . . it doesn't quite keep up with the 800GS, but it is fun to go bum around the hills with.

Willman

You are one lucky man! :drool:

With that hitch mount...You could put that bike behind your AT!!!

;)

Gear

Thanks Guys.

Willman wrote
With that hitch mount...You could put that bike behind your AT!!!

This was my intention but I spoke to Mario from AT and he had some concerns about it being to much weight on the back. I am sure the AT could hold it. I think the problem is it will unweight the tongue causing poor handling. I hope to resolve this issue. One thought is to remove the fuel cans/water storage on the front and slide the bike up there. Will just have to see.

The TW200 weights 279 lbs. wet. If I am carrying 19 gallons of water + 2 jerry cans full of fuel plus the nose box with a group 31 battery and other stuff. Who knows if this will off set the weight of the bike on the back.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Nice! I jealous! Let us know what transpires with mounting the bike on the back of the AT or the front for that matter..... that's my ultimate setup as well.

Gear

Thanks everyone. Hopefully in the next week or so I will be able to pull the Chaser out of the garage and play with the hitch mount for the TW200. Any ideas on how to weight the tongue weight without destroying my bathroom scale. First off I am going to try and attach the hitch carrier to the Chaser and see if my weight on the hitch carrier causes the front of the trailer to rise up off the ground. If that is good then maybe I can just keep adding weight to the hitch carrier until it pulls the front support wheel off the ground. If all goes well I hope to be able to add several hundred pounds more than the bike to the hitch carrier. This would then mean that there is enough tongue weight. That is it for my idea on how to test the tongue weight. I would like to hear if you guys have any other ideas. Also I guess there could be a concern using the Chaser because it has air bags. If I was to loose pressure in one of the bags this could cause a problem while driving.

Thanks Guys.

Gear

Thanks for the reply's about the trailer and towing. I have been busy riding the bike. Here is a quick ride report.

The other day I was able to get out with the TW200. I managed to do 120+ miles of mostly roads with some being dirt. I rode up to Mount Palomar, down to Lake Henshaw and then took a back road to Ramona. Here are a few photographs.
DSC_7884.jpg

DSC_7890.jpg

DSC_7899.jpg

DSC_7881.jpg

Gear

I hit the pavement last saturday and rode 113 miles in a little over 3 hours 30 minutes. I wish I could get to the dirt roads quicker. The best part, I felt like I was really moving on the pavement. Then I looked at the GPS top speed, 53.9 mph. I think I need to regear. Well here are a few shots from the other day.

DSC_8039.jpg

Santa Ysabel Open Preserve. I have driven by here before but on the bike I seem to find so many cool things. Looks like a great place to bring the mountain bike.
DSC_8043.jpg

I am really liking the Pelican case on the back. Inside I managed to store a full size Nikon camera, a Flip video camera + tripod, a 2 meter radio in the lid pocket, 32 Nalgene, Powerbars, NRS straps, a GPS, and a .06 fuel bottle in the white sock. Oh yeah and the First Aid kit.
DSC_8041.jpg

Mesa Grande Store. The teal accents caught my eye.
DSC_8047.jpg

Here I stopped for a quick drink and a Powerbar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior