Newbie question

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have found a '91 300GD 81k mile and very tempted- however, I had a '03 US model and was not so impressed-very nice, but waaay too mamy electrics. This has the 6 cyl diesel obviously, which is the temptation. I've had Rovers for 15 years, and trying to simplify a bit. Are these older diesel versions the real deal- strong, reliable, bombproof so to speak? I have done the research, and feel it is the right model. We do a ton of trips with two children, and the ergonomics are greatly enhanced over the D110 and 130. What about towing the KK? The truck is some distance away and unable to do a 'towing' test drive. Any/all feedback greatly appreciated. I feel the G can replace several Defenders, and hopefully spend much more time playing than wrenching. Cheers

39Ronin

Adventurer
Is it the OM603 engine? The OM617 5 cylinder is boom proof, last more than a million miles engine. Check out the Pointed Three forum for lots of good info about the various types of diesel engines.

G-force

Adventurer
The OM617 is more reliable, but i still enjoy the OM603NA. Just make sure you keep it cool, and you`ll be fine. I am more familiar with the turbo version (OM603 960) but the same rule apply to the NA, in the G.

A couple of alternatives to keep it cool, is to remove the rubber gasket between the hood and the bulkhead. Or go for 463 vents in the front fenders, with open trough air passage from the engine bay.

This is if cooling is a problem . . . .

And the sound of that beautiful straight six . . . .

"Its a beaut, Clark, its a beaut!!:bike_rider:

If you do go for a change for an OM617, mind that you need a new tranny as well. The starter is mounted on different sides of the engine, and that is a tell tale sign of a no-fit-combination.

Enjoy your G, with the OM603. You`ll learn to love it.

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
I have found a '91 300GD 81k mile and very tempted- however, I had a '03 US model and was not so impressed-very nice, but waaay too mamy electrics. This has the 6 cyl diesel obviously, which is the temptation. I've had Rovers for 15 years, and trying to simplify a bit. Are these older diesel versions the real deal- strong, reliable, bombproof so to speak? I have done the research, and feel it is the right model. We do a ton of trips with two children, and the ergonomics are greatly enhanced over the D110 and 130. What about towing the KK? The truck is some distance away and unable to do a 'towing' test drive. Any/all feedback greatly appreciated. I feel the G can replace several Defenders, and hopefully spend much more time playing than wrenching. Cheers

1991 300GD's were never really legally imported. Proceed with caution unless you plan to import it and federalize it on your own. This costs $$$, but yes the 463 diesels are nice, however I prefer the 460 for it's simple electronics and more reliable diesel engines. 617 Turbo + 460 chassis = wonderful machine!

Good luck, ask questions if you have them.

Hunter

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks guys. This is a legal import by a licensed and registered importer, with proper US title. Don't know why I'm so hesitant, except tons of Rover knowledge, and not looking forward to the steep end of the learning curve again. However, hopefully not needed to such an extent. Any durability/reliabilty issues with said model? Normal routine maintenance? Any surprizes lurking? Thanks again all.
Oh yea- tire size. There is much info, and lots contradictory- what size fits stock, 33" or up to 35"?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. This is a legal import by a licensed and registered importer, with proper US title. Don't know why I'm so hesitant, except tons of Rover knowledge, and not looking forward to the steep end of the learning curve again. However, hopefully not needed to such an extent. Any durability/reliabilty issues with said model? Normal routine maintenance? Any surprizes lurking? Thanks again all.
Oh yea- tire size. There is much info, and lots contradictory- what size fits stock, 33" or up to 35"?

Rovertrader, I've owned just about every type of rover ever made, from a '52 80" HT to a '58 107" SW, to a couple of SII's to a SIII to a built RRC on 37's to a P38 RR and I truly loved them all, but I can tell you right now that I would never, ever fly into Los Angeles, buy one site unseen and then drive it all the way home to VT (like I did with my recently acquired '80 460 LWB with the 617 td), no way, no how, not even the P38, in fact especially not the P38. I can honestly say that none of the rovers would have made the trip without major mishap. Somebody recently told me that while Rovers are built to be field repairable, Gwagons are built to never need repair in the field. Of course, the problem is that when they do finally need it, it's expensive and time consuming.

My advice? Buy the G and have Josh Price (Placentia, CA) source you a good 617 and install it for you.

And for tires, 235x85R16 KM2s. Fits beautifully stock, looks sharp, easy to replace, quiet as a churchmouse on the road but still really effective off-road.

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Too funny Vt!! I have done the same crosscountry trips w/ 110 2.5 NAD- and have yet to make it w/o mishap. Even did the 'loneliest road in America' in Nv, and broke just after reaching civilization. By contrast, I have driven a new 130 Tdi from Belize to home w/o a problem. Check our website to see the Rover addiction in full force- and it hasn't been updated in several years- really, we even have another child, now 3yo!! www.theroverbarn.com
I am chatting with the seller again today, and will be asking for comp check #s- thanks all.
Is the cooling issue w/ turbo or NA as well?
I have heard the field repairable vs none needed many times- must be some merit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles