looking for a sub $100 sleeping bag for sub freezing temps

gmwelder86

Adventurer
After growing up camping with my parents and just using their sleeping bags which were usually colemans that were onsale at the time they needed news ones and they were fine for them sleeping in a TT. Now I am getting into doing alot more tent camping on my own and the old colemans just arnt cutting it. So I am looking for a bag with will keep me warm down to around 20 degrees, I dont tend to camp in anything colder than that, Size doesnt matter as I do not backpack. Just looking for some advice, thanks.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
0* Alps Mountaineering bags are decent for that price. I've seen them for as little as $70 on Steep and Cheap lately. Or, you can find them sometimes at Backcountry (same company) and Sierra Trading Post.

They are bulky and heavy, though you said that didn't matter.

I've had mine for over 2 years now and I've been happy with it.

MtnFlyer

I recommend spending a bit more money if you can and getting a good bag. I have a Woods 5 Star bag that is 2 parts, can be zipped together when the girlfriend is around. I have had it for 9 years and it still is as good as new. It's big, bulky, and warm but worth the extra cash.

Don

MotoDave

Explorer
Like teotwaki said REI sales are a great place to find deals on gear. I have been really happy with all of the REI branded gear I own.

A good sleeping bag will last you 10+ years of frequent use if you take care of it. I have an REI 20 degree bag, and got a fleece liner that I can add in for even colder temps. I've had it down to 0 degrees in this configuration and been comfortable.

Hedge

Adventurer
I picked up a Coleman synthetic 0*F mummy @ wally world that has worked well in the teens. Construction is decent; good fill pattern and well constructed draft tubes along zipper and neck. If you're at all tall, make sure your selection is long enough that your toes don't compress the insulation at the foot. A crisp, clear night when you've the top opening zipped up tight around your head, forcing you further down into the bag, and you're slightly sliding downhill toward your toes is usually the first time you'll notice...

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
Like teotwaki said REI sales are a great place to find deals on gear. I have been really happy with all of the REI branded gear I own.

A good sleeping bag will last you 10+ years of frequent use if you take care of it. I have an REI 20 degree bag, and got a fleece liner that I can add in for even colder temps. I've had it down to 0 degrees in this configuration and been comfortable.

X2 on the REI bags. We've had ours for years! Good idea on the fleece liner also.

Maddmatt

Explorer
As has been said, a lot of the more mainstream brands, Coleman and others, make a pretty fine product that's more than capable of holding up for years of normal use - Slumber Jack is another good brand to look at - same parent company as Sierra Designs and Kelty - I have a 0 degree Moonstone down bag that was worth every penny - but haven't gotten rid of my now 15 or 16 year old synthetic Slumber Jack "Everest Elite". Great bag, I've woken up many mornings with frost on the bag and frozen solid water bottles and been surprised at how cold it was outside of the bag. Once even had my Siberian Husky crawl into the bag during the night. You know it's seriously cold when the husky wants into the bag.

Also check Campmor and Sierra Trading Post - that's all first quality new gear at "used" prices.

And one more jump onto the bandwagon - I've never had an REI bag, but my REI tent is creeping up on 15 years old and still works great.

But as important as the bag - I'm sure you know this - but make sure you get some separation from the tent floor. I'm old school so I still like my Therma-rest - but I hear there's lots of new tech mattresses on the market. No amount of insulation is going to do you any good when your a** is frozen to the ground. DAMHIK. :)

One more thing to keep in mind, especially with the less expensive, bags, go for a bit colder rating than you think you need. If 20 is as cold as you go, shop in the 0-10 degree range. Better to have to unzip the bag once in awhile then find out the temps. dropped more than you expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles