80 series lc

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Shoot, you guys wanna be slow? Try driving an 80 series that weighs 7200 lbs and then pulling a fully loaded Adventure Trailer behind it. Sometimes we let Dixie out to run next to the rig or go pee.

We are the ultimate in snail pace :elkgrin:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Shoot, you guys wanna be slow? Try driving an 80 series that weighs 7200 lbs and then pulling a fully loaded Adventure Trailer behind it. Sometimes we let Dixie out to run next to the rig or go pee.

We are the ultimate in snail pace :elkgrin:

Brian <------laughing audibly in his office.

Xjaddiction

Observer
I love the 80 series cruisers, but I ultimately sold mine because it's just not enough power for me. I even replaced the gears with some 4:88's, but only ran 33" tires. Much better, but not like my previous XJ's. I went to a 5.2L ZJ next, then to my current 5.9L 360 V-8 ZJ... that thing is rediculous, and keeps a grin on my face daily... But, I still miss that old slow pig...

dclee

Observer
Remember, as someone else said, apples to oranges. Know your intended purpose. The Jeep has a WAY different intended purpose than the 80...

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
and i'm gonna go with comparing delicate china to a rock :elkgrin:

the 80 will not get you there in first place. however, it will get you there, every single time.

THats why man invented caffeine, the 100% natural substitute for sleep. When you pull over, I keep going. No DOT hours of operation, and I'm good. You can keep your "speed!" :sombrero:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I can't imagine it's any slower then my 22RE 5spd 4Runner is when I'm fully loaded. And I've got 33's with 4.10's right now so for me it's 3rd gear and 55 maybe on the big hills... IS an FZJ80 or an FJ80 for that matter any worse then that??? I mean in reality were all driving bricks/tractors around at highway speeds here people... WHat are we really expecting.

Cheers

Dave

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Don't feel too bad Dave, my V6 4Runner with 33's and 4.10's fully loaded is a pig on hills too. 55 in 3rd gear in long grades for me too. 4.88's one day.

I can't imagine it's any slower then my 22RE 5spd 4Runner is when I'm fully loaded. And I've got 33's with 4.10's right now so for me it's 3rd gear and 55 maybe on the big hills... IS an FZJ80 or an FJ80 for that matter any worse then that??? I mean in reality were all driving bricks/tractors around at highway speeds here people... WHat are we really expecting.

Cheers

Dave

bat

Explorer
Thats the one, that thing has so much articulation on the trail it is crazy. When the road starts to go up the 80 is always the last one up.

expo80

Adventurer
I run a 6500lb FZJ80 with 33s and stock gears and I have no problem passing people or going up hills. I had it pretty much floored, but I was zinging up a steep long highway grade at over 70 mph just the other day.

Ya, they aren't as fast as the V-8, and sure the supercharger would be nice, but it's not dead slow. Something is obviously wrong with that vehicle. Or maybe he's running 35s or taller with stock gears. That'd probably be a bit slow.

Or you're used to vehicles way faster than I am.

i would have to agree i have two 80's both engines i fully rebuilt and are in perfect running order trucks are lifted, locked, armored and heavily loaded on trips and we easily do 75 to 80 all day :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles