80 series lc

bat

Explorer
I went to the auction yesterday and my friend picked up a vehicle so I had the chance to drive his landcruiser home 30 miles or so. This thing was so slow and could not get out of his own way going up hills is this normal for a landcruiser.Here is a pic of his setup

052.JPG

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 64

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
80's are slow no matter what. Does he have the stock gears in it? They aren't that bad if regeared for tire size. It all depends on what you are used to. I was fairly content with my FJ80 untill I started driving a Silverado then a Tundra as a daily driver. Made it a bit frustrating at times in the Land Cruiser. Prior to the 80 though I drove old Troopers and an FJ60 so I was used to not getting anywhere in a hurry. My 80 is just used for overlanding duty now and it is perfectly suited. Even when driving highway I'm not in any hurry and it is no problem. Might be different if it was a daily driver and I had to drive it at freeway speeds though. Luckily though there is no freeway close to where I live so not an issue! haha :victory:

brentbba

Explorer
First, you've got to realize that an 80 only has an inline 6 producing a whooping 212 hp. Second, if your friend has anything more than stock 275 tires, it's also going to affect things unless he's regeared. The LC may not be as fast as what you are used to, but it will get you there...and last longer than any american made POS. :wings: That's a totally biased opinion on my part after 15+ years of ownership of my '94 LC with 199K on the clock. Quite typical for a LC.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
What model/year?

93-97 FZJ80 are poop slugs.
91-92 FJ80 are super poop slugs.

Even after a regear they are slugmobiles. Need 4.88 and Supercharger to fly!

bat

Explorer
I think it is a 95, I did not realize it weighs 6000lbs. It is a nice rig for offroad and it is setup with OME stuff. My jeep has the inline six and it only weighs 3200lbs you can definately feel the difference.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I've owned an XJ and an 80. It's apples and oranges. One has a frame and one is unibody. The XJ was quick and sort of nimble, the 80 is slow and stable like a battle ship. There's a reason why they call them Iron Pigs :D

Faol

Observer
LC 80s only get about 12 mpg also, right, versus 18-20 for XJ? Trying to decide between these two myself.

bat

Explorer
My mileage has never been that good maybe 17mpg but I do have 5" lift and 32 tires. I know my buddies LC gets around 13/14 but it is very roomy and well just plain luxury. I mainly have the jeep for running around and going over or up things. He did find out the hard way that a LC will not fit through the squeeze in Anza borrego, body work on both sides. If it was me I would pick the LC for an all around camping fun rig but since I have crew cab for camping the jeep does fine.

Brian894x4

Explorer
I run a 6500lb FZJ80 with 33s and stock gears and I have no problem passing people or going up hills. I had it pretty much floored, but I was zinging up a steep long highway grade at over 70 mph just the other day.

Ya, they aren't as fast as the V-8, and sure the supercharger would be nice, but it's not dead slow. Something is obviously wrong with that vehicle. Or maybe he's running 35s or taller with stock gears. That'd probably be a bit slow.

Or you're used to vehicles way faster than I am.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
LOL...try getting in my 70 from that FZJ....you'll think you're going backwards it's so slow.....:elkgrin:

-H-

hieronymus

Adventurer
I don't know about petrols, but even my HDJ80 diesel I wouldn't call slow.
It's going uphill like a rocket and I just did a 100 mph on the Autobahn last week! (and I run on 33's)
Maybe it's the enormous intercooler.........:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94