Looking for a good FJ-80 91-93

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Looking for a good FZJ-80 '93

*UPDATED 10/26*

You may have noticed my thread about a rig change. I think the FZJ-80 is going to be the best route for many reasons. If you know of a good 'un, I would love to hear about it!

I have searched the craigslistings and cars.com. You know how that goes... I am near Denver, but would be willing to go about 1K miles to get the right Cruiser.

I have seen pricing go from $3500 to over $8500 with no real difference other than seller desires.

Color is largely unimportant - but solid build - no issues - no rust - lockers :rolleyes: - etc. would be nice.

So, if you see a cool (and affordable) rig in search of a home - please let me know!
:beer:

Last edited:

fowldarr

Explorer
The earlier engines have considerably less power...and as far as the newer engine, they don't usually need a HG until well past teh life span of a domestic engine. My last one, a 96 had 235k on the clock and still had not needed a HG. So look for a low mileage, or one that already has the HG done, and you'll be fine.

If I was looking for one, I would be looking newer...I'm not power hungry, but I like to go up hills without slowing down too much.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
The earlier engines have considerably less power...and as far as the newer engine, they don't usually need a HG until well past teh life span of a domestic engine. My last one, a 96 had 235k on the clock and still had not needed a HG. So look for a low mileage, or one that already has the HG done, and you'll be fine.

If I was looking for one, I would be looking newer...I'm not power hungry, but I like to go up hills without slowing down too much.

The pricing is an important part of the equation. The newer the rig - the more $ it will command. I have a daily driver car that is plenty peppy. This rig is going to be for adventures / camping / snow days.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
The pricing is an important part of the equation. The newer the rig - the more $ it will command. I have a daily driver car that is plenty peppy. This rig is going to be for adventures / camping / snow days.

I've driven a 91 and my dad's 94 with the newer motor (fzj80) and honestly I can feel the difference.

I think, though, that the amount of power is a non-issue. I had an 86 4runner that would wheeze up the grapevine in 3rd gear, doing 55. The thing is, it would do this getting 24mpg, and without ever having a single engine issue in 2years. Ever. Nothing.

If this as well as mpg's in the 12-15 range are the only negatives, I would say that There IS no problem with the earlier fj80's. Reliability, space, comfort, 4x4 ability, descent mileage for a brick on wheels, etc.

Plus, I will never recommend someone purchase a financed vehicle again. Buy within your means, and adjust the purchase to your budget. If that means waiting to save for a newer model, so be it.

It sounds like the earlier rig is the better choice, to me.

-Brian

[The FJ80 is a real contender for replacing my XJ, due to the 7 seat status, as a well as no-compromise offroad ability. Very good trucks...Oh, and they can be had for about $4000-5000 here in san diego just for reference. All rust free, usually. ]

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Once again - it is a matter of cost for me. I would love to have a newer, fully optioned rig but need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Photog

Explorer
In that case, make yourself a list of the final product you want to end up with. You may be able to save a lot of money, buying something that has much of that work already done. It will probably be more expensive up front, but should be much less expensive overall.

That is if $$$ is the actual issue.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
About the same time as the new engine design they got rear discs and the FF rear axle. Not sure that all of that happened at exactly the same time, but close. Mud's 80's forum would have those exact answers, once you wade through the cup holder threads. :sombrero:

Box Rocket

once you wade through the cup holder threads. :sombrero:

Someone sounds a little bitter.:)

Let me help you out. This should be helpful in finding the differences between years etc without "wading through ANY cup holder" threads. :rolleyes

80 Series Land Cruiser FAQ

FWIW, I have a '93 with the 1FZ-FE engine. The earlier '91-92's had the 3FE with less power. '93 is when the transitioned to full-floating rear axles and lockers as an option. My '93 however was originally unlocked, and has a semi-float rear axle. Same thing can show up on some '94's.

Looking at the pick of your "build goal"...are you also planning on swapping in Volvo portal axles?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hey fella's - re-read his initial post.

Lets do a bit more "finding him a rig"

and a little less, "correct me if I'm wrong"....me included.

For those that forgot already:

91-93 with no rust, solid drivetrain
mods are fine within reason, tastefully done
within 1k miles in and around Denver

He knows what he wants, though we may have suggestions otherwise.

Lets "Keep it ExPo", gents

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Craigslist Las Vegas 94 w/ FF axles & 4 wheel disc, and Lockers with a new head gasket and he'll take $5K when I talked to him on the phone. I'd have bought it but I really hate that shade of green that much!

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Craigslist Las Vegas 94 w/ FF axles & 4 wheel disc, and Lockers with a new head gasket and he'll take $5K when I talked to him on the phone. I'd have bought it but I really hate that shade of green that much!

The yellow one? I emailed him but saw no other contact info on the add.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link Rocket Box! Very helpful!
:coffee:

Someone sounds a little bitter.:)

Let me help you out. This should be helpful in finding the differences between years etc without "wading through ANY cup holder" threads. :rolleyes

80 Series Land Cruiser FAQ

FWIW, I have a '93 with the 1FZ-FE engine. The earlier '91-92's had the 3FE with less power. '93 is when the transitioned to full-floating rear axles and lockers as an option. My '93 however was originally unlocked, and has a semi-float rear axle. Same thing can show up on some '94's.

Looking at the pick of your "build goal"...are you also planning on swapping in Volvo portal axles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles