Pics of my new Nato cans

jamm

Observer
I thought that you could put diesel in a gas can but not gas in a diesel can due to the difference in gasket material. Are you planning on changing them or did I miss something?

Pretty cool idea on the linex, I may have to do that on my old Wedcos.

wyomingben

In rural places people use diesel to burn trash, lighting a barrel with diesel soaked trash is like lighting a candle. Lighting a trash barrel soaked with gasoline the same way is like :oops: I know of a least twice this happening and some people with thin eyebrows because of it. It happens because people put gasonline in diesel cans. I'd ditch any yellow on gas cans, I'm just sayin'..

wyomingben

I like em too. just me and a few other poster's are just sayin', rattle can the yellow; red, camo, black, purple, etc. Yellow means diesel.. :ylsmoke:

saburai

Explorer
Mine seemed new...

...When I received mine, I strongly doubt that they ever held anything other than air. The cans were in perfect as new condition.

BTW I really like the line-x idea!

Excellent condition, looked to be surplus or barely used. Had one small scratch on one that needed primer, if I wasn't Line-Xing them. I need to order an extra nozzle or two just to keep on the shelf in case of wife loosing one. They actually poor nicely without a nozzle because of the built in air vent. I think I'll limit these style cans to fuel use, and use scepter style ones for water. They are EXACTLY like the Wedco fuel cans, with out the cross pin lock. The holes are there and I might add them, but didn't come with a cross pin.

spikemd

Explorer
I am looking at purchasing a set for myself. I shot DeutscheOptik a message inquiring about red tops, but I really think they will all be yellow. I am alos trying to figure out a way to get them shipped somewhere else (Vegas) so I can pick them up on my way to Canyonlands. They won't ship them to California.

Do you think you can paint the yellow tops red? I really don't care that much myself. I will be the only one using them and I will never put diesel in them. I just want to be sure the gaskets won't deteriorate as I have heard they should be different materials for gasoline vs. diesel. If the caps are a standard size, we may be able to purchase new gaskets from a different company as well. I asked DeutscheOptik if they had different gaskets.

I will let you know what I hear from them.

Bowatti

I am really interested in why they wont ship out to California. I saw another post about the cans a few days ago and was stoked on ordering them tonight. Anybody know why they don't have a cali air-drop??

-Bow

dclee

Observer
I am really interested in why they wont ship out to California. I saw another post about the cans a few days ago and was stoked on ordering them tonight. Anybody know why they don't have a cali air-drop??

-Bow

Our lovely Air Resources Board has deemed them as "evil"...

BTW, on all of my NATO cans, there is place next to the spout to mount these neat little metal plates that designate whether the content is diesel, petrol, kerosene, whatever. You just insert the proper plate in the holder to ID the can. They are even reflective for easy viewing!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hrm, you guys are making me nervous. Earlier this week I went ahead and placed an order for those same cans and today got my shipping confirmation (no tracking # though).

Maybe this is one of those times that its better to ask for forgiveness than permission?

Maybe the official answer is "No we won't ship", but if you just use the web portal they'll just box 'em up and slap a shipping label on without looking at the destination...

CYi5

Explorer
Hrm, you guys are making me nervous. Earlier this week I went ahead and placed an order for those same cans and today got my shipping confirmation (no tracking # though).

Maybe this is one of those times that its better to ask for forgiveness than permission?

Maybe the official answer is "No we won't ship", but if you just use the web portal they'll just box 'em up and slap a shipping label on without looking at the destination...

Hopefully they aren't intercepted at a california sorting facility...that would suck.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Linex is polyurethane based, so you should be able to paint them with a polyurethane paint.

Some Linex facilities offer a color match where they mix automotive paint with the top coat, so automotive paint may work as well.

cyclic

Adventurer
Just a little update..................

OK, I painted them with some flat Krylon camo paint. I used some vinyl letters and pressed them on tightly right before painting. After painting I peeled the letters off. They came out really nice. Time will tell as far as the paint lasting, but I think these should outlast me. The month tag tells me when to empty them into my truck and get fresh gas, and yes I do use Sta-bil in my fuel every time. So I'll never have gas thats more than one year old, even with only four cans right now. If I come across some extra money I'll get some more, but for now these will do fine.

30aciuh.jpg

2nqff46.jpg

1255mwl.jpg

1speed

Explorer
I love the LineX! Since the supply of these is going to run out eventually I may have mine done to help make them last. Only problem is I have 12 of them already and thinking of ordering another 4, it might get a little pricey. And by the way, gas WILL eat the pink gaskets they ship with. The black spare gaskets they sell work fine with gas.

There at least 2 people in this thread that have reported recieving cans shipped to CA.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31883

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94