Jerry cans

The Saints

So I am having the Bobcat constructed from All Terrain Camper with the capability of hanging a Jerry Can on the back. I have also been looking around on the internet to locate the "perfect" Jerry Can if it is going to be on my set up. What I am finding out is a few unsettling things. I saw a Scepter Military style can made from plastic that looked really nice from previous forums from this web site only they dont sell them in the US. And it seems difficult to locate a nice looking metal one to boot. Although I did see some mice looking stainless steel ones for $150.00. Then since I live in California, I have to get some special spout to pour with, bla bla bla bla.
Has anyone else run into this problem, or am I just being a baby? Does anyone have any recommendations or do I just have to get an old used military one and possibly paint it? I have discovered a "jiggler" hose in my search for the perfect can. Those seem pretty neat. There is a hose company in town that I am going to have build me one so that I can assure that I get a good valve and a long enough hose to go from the back of my truck to the gas tank fill.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If I were you, I'd try to obtain a Nato style can.

Problem with the other Jerry Cans designs is most have a screw on cover which is more prone to leaking gas fumes. The only ones that can nearly guarantee a leak free gas can is the Nato Style can which employs a lid that uses a cam mechanism to press secure the cover. This design creates an effective seal preventing leaks.

Unfortunately, these Nato cans are not legal in CA because they don't meet CARB guidelines. From what my research has shown it's because the pour spouts have to be redesigned to prevent spills and fumes from escaping. I've found nobody offers a carb compliant spout) for these cans.

That said, I own 2 Nato style cans & use them exclusively for transporting fuel. They are so leak proof I have no problem transporting gasoline in the back of my Montero so I know they're safe and out of harms way. The seals are so effective that even in the hot desert there hasn't been the slightest noticeable hint of fuel fumes escaping a closed Nato can.

HTH.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately, these Nato cans are not legal in CA because they don't meet CARB guidelines. From what my research has shown it's because the pour spouts have to be redesigned to prevent spills and fumes from escaping. I've found nobody offers a carb compliant spout) for these cans.

HTH.

These are no longer legal to sell by a vender or import. They are still legal to use however if you already own or find a pre CARB compliant can for sale through private sale.

94-RUNNER

Over The Hill
Wedco style fuel cans

You might want to try these folks. Another Expo member listed them as a source and I ordered one and it was brand new and in perfect condition. It looks nearly identical to the Wedco cans that I already have.
http://deutscheoptik.com/

......Tucker

The Saints

Thanks 94runner. I was looking at the Wedco, but these look real nice too. If I can get a holder for it and have it shipped to CA, I might go this route instead. Now I have alot of thinking to decide..................:Wow1:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
These are no longer legal to sell by a vender or import. They are still legal to use however if you already own or find a pre CARB compliant can for sale through private sale.

To sell in ANY state or just CA?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just read that it's a federal mandate and the main reason the wedco cans are not compliant is their lids are not child proof.

Last edited:

bugnout

Adventurer
Nevermind. Just read that it's a federal mandate and the main reason the wedco cans are not compliant is their lids are not child proof.

Isn't that amazing. Now you can safely let the kiddies play with your Gas Can!!! Better than blocks, more fun than a swingset! :sombrero:

matt s

Explorer
i got one of the metal blitz cans at sportsmans warehouse for under $30. It was a pretty great deal. Shucks has them for $60.

yooper

Observer
I have the NATO cans from Deutsche Optik. They are really nice and my new fuel can standard and they never leak, unlike Blitz cans that leak if they are stored sideways. They're having a sale right now, 4 brand new cans and a nozzle for $127 shipped.

Apparently they didn't get the memo yet that it's illegal to sell them. Actually I think it's only illegal to manufacture new cans for sale in the US that don't meet the new stupid federal childproof standard.

The CARB compliant cans that I've encountered to date are a nightmare to use and every one has caused me to spill fuel, which is of course completely contrary to the purpose of the CARB regulations. I can use a standard NATO can all day without spilling a drop.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I use a 12 gallon boat gas tank, and a 12v transfer pump.

FJ_Viz

Observer
Garrettwade.com

For NATO cans see Garrettwade.com They were out of stock for a while but apparently they have more. They have gas & water, in their Sept 2009 catalog. $59.95 each. I have 2 and lay them flat on the roof rack with no leaking.

saburai

Explorer
Buy the Deutsche Optik

I have the cans from Deutsche Optik as well great price and the cans are German Mil issue - you can't go wrong with them.

I have the NATO cans from Deutsche Optik. They are really nice and my new fuel can standard and they never leak, unlike Blitz cans that leak if they are stored sideways. They're having a sale right now, 4 brand new cans and a nozzle for $127 shipped.

Apparently they didn't get the memo yet that it's illegal to sell them. Actually I think it's only illegal to manufacture new cans for sale in the US that don't meet the new stupid federal childproof standard.

The CARB compliant cans that I've encountered to date are a nightmare to use and every one has caused me to spill fuel, which is of course completely contrary to the purpose of the CARB regulations. I can use a standard NATO can all day without spilling a drop.
g

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne