Kayak inflatable or hard shell

I am looking for the first kayak for my family. What I need is something suitable for lakes and rivers, tandem for my wife and I or one of the grandkids ages 3 and 8, My wife and I are not skinny minnies so one of those long slim cruisers will NOT work. It will ride in/on an XJ What we plan on is fishing, lake cruising and some river riding up to maybe grade I whitewater. I am on a tight budget ATT however once the Family CFO gets the bug the purse strings will get much looser as I know one will NOT be enough. which way should I jump, model suggestions/advice welcome

Weasel

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have an inflatable. My first kayak. Works very well, feels very stable and though I use it mostly on lakes I would have no problem with some easy river runs. But, it has me wanting a good hard shell kayak. My buddies all go faster, turn easier.

Heck, I even built a rack on the camper for one. But like you I'm on a budget and the inflatable will have to do for now.

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Since I don't sell kayaks anymore, I've sort of lost touch with the current recreational kayak models.

Generally speaking, the inflatables (aka deflatables :Wow1:) are for budget and convenience, and don't paddle all that well. They are good for getting you out on the water when you otherwise may not ba able to. The hard shells definitely paddle better. The question, as usual, is do you know, do you care?

My advice, since you asked:), is look for a used Wilderness Systems Pamlico II or equivalent. There's got to be people selling them slightly used, with paddles and gear, for a song and a milkshake.

Also, learn a bit about rivers and how to read them before getting the family on one. Remember, if anything happens you can't just turn the key and shut 'er down to assess the situation.

Hope it helps a little.

chrslefty

Observer
have you thought about a canoe ? keeps my fat butt outta the water and fits just fine on a xj : )
i know u said kayak , but ... there not to expensive and fits the bill for what you described . food for thought i gess . either way good luck with your search

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I've been looking into inflatable kayak to carry in my camper for fishing and general exploring. They seem to vary from the silly Sevylor models to units which cost $4k.

Here is a website I found helpful when looking between brands...

http://www.portablekayaks.com/inflatable_kayaks

For me, the weight and pack size is critical, as well as the requirement to have 2-up capability. The Sea Eagle 340x Pro Package looks like it might fit the bill, and costs about as much as an equivalent economy hard shell. With a weight of 42 lbs and a pack size of 31x19x8, it can live on the roof rack unless needed.

Just a thought.

Spence

Cody1771

Explorer
imo for family use, pending your not planning any long trips go with the inflatable. you can get some really nice "canoe style" inflatable kayaks you can sit 2 or 3 people in comfortably and they are incredibly stable. i have a set of sing person inflatables and i can stand up in them without bracing anything. as well as they are super durable (i whitewater with them) and fold up to the size of a mid ranged suit case. i wouldnt go back to a hard shell kayak unless i was going to get into some long range kayak trips. and for the amount i do that i usualy just rent them. my niece and nephew can both use the singles and they are 6 and 8 and i dont have to worry about them tipping. the kids can climb all over them and not flip them. and if they do, they are a sinch to flip back and can be paddled complety flooded

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Well...it depends....

For rivers, up to Class III, I'd go with a nice Ducky inflatable...but for lakes...inflatables are frustrating, IMO.

Maybe a compromise with a sit on top tandem, like a Cobra?

For 2-3 folks, I prefer a sit on top or canoe. For solo I like a hard shell.

HTH

-H-

off.track

Adventurer
craigslist

it kind of depends on how much paddling around you think you may be doing.. one or two trips a year, yeah, maybe go with inflatable. otherwise a canoe or maybe a tandem 'yak.

btw. the inflatable i found to be rather a good fun ride on ww C I-III.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
definetly hard shell but you can not put 4 in a yak. You need a canoe, look for a 17' model for comfort and capacity to be safe. if you really want a tandm the twin otter from old town makes a nice flat water double.

Last edited:

atavuss

Adventurer
have you considered the pedal kayaks? Hobie makes a great kayak. it is easy to pedal effortlessly all day. they are not cheap though.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Your description sounds like what I was looking for, less the white water.
We bought a craigslisted Rogue River canoe 14' ,42" wide ,seats three adults or 700 lbs.
I think it will be a great place to start. I am sure we can sell it and get our $300 back when/if we decide to make a change.

frumpy

Explorer
I may sound dumb for stating the obvious (well its what I decided to do this season anyway) but I have been renting and trying different things/styles out. I am pretty much sold on the canoe idea (fits the fiance and I, our two small dogs, cooler for lunch, fishing gear, even camping gear if we want). I kind of lucked out though as there is a place right on the water that rents for very reasonable rates or I can get free rentals through work (just need to get them to the water)

craig333

Expedition Leader
I would imagine a canoe being much nicer for dogs. I put my dog in my inflatable kayak, he wasn't real comfortable, kept squirming around, made it very hard to keep a straight line. Otoh, I was never worried about him puncturing it.

go4aryd

Adventurer
Two more cents of input.

Once you get to water, canoes are great (both flatwater and ww). Neverthe less, I know many that will no longer drive with a canoe on top or on a trailer. They are long and typically deep. They can really be scary on the rig (and water) in bad winds which seem to follow me wherever I go. My buddy sold his canoe after a bad experience traveling with it on top of his pop-up trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior