Skyliine Drive to Bountiful Peak to Session Mtn. Road

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Skyline Drive to Bountiful Peak to Session Mtn. Road

Well, due to the goofy work schedule that I have I found myself with some time on my hands and decided to continue my exploration of Skyline Drive just east of Bountifuly, Utah.

On my last trip up here I turned off and ran Old Ward Canyon Road this time around I continued up to Bountiful Peak at an elevation of around 9600'. The views of the valley down below and the mountain road made for a great time, some fresh air and some cooler tempartures.

Panoramic1.jpg

I have another version of the this one but the photo's didn't stich together as well.
Panoramic21.jpg

Panoramic3.jpg

Panoramic5.jpg

101_0073.jpg

Last edited:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Next up I headed over to Session Mountain Road/FS Road 815 to explore that area some and to get some views of the adjacent valley.

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Panoramic6.jpg

Panoramic7.jpg

Panoramic8.jpg

FS 185 continues on past this point but this is where I decided to turn around. The road continues on up the hill in the foreground
Panoramic11.jpg

Panoramic10.jpg

Both these area's I found offer some great area's for camping or a nice hike along some of the trails. I'll have to head back up this way to finish the Skyline Drive route and FS 815 to Holbrook Creek but that's for another day.

Richie

Adventurer
Good stuff. It seems there are endless roads and mountains to explore in Utah. I haven't been out there in years. Thanks for sharing.:safari-rig:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I spotted Skyline Trail/Drive last year while perusing the maps. I've wondered what it would be like to go the entire length. IIRC you can drive that over 100-miles right? Thanks for posting!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I spotted Skyline Trail/Drive last year while perusing the maps. I've wondered what it would be like to go the entire length. IIRC you can drive that over 100-miles right? Thanks for posting!

There are several portions known as "Slyline Drive", the northern section as shown here is often called Skyline I and is much shorter than the southern route. The southern route goes from Tucker in Spanish Fork Canyon to Interstate 70 on the south end, with hundreds of miles of spur trails and side canyons too. Unfortunately they do not connect like the name implies.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
There are several portions known as "Slyline Drive", the northern section as shown here is often called Skyline I and is much shorter than the southern route. The southern route goes from Tucker in Spanish Fork Canyon to Interstate 70 on the south end, with hundreds of miles of spur trails and side canyons too. Unfortunately they do not connect like the name implies.

Never knew there was more than one Slyline Drive or an extension of it. How is the southern portion?

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Skyline Drive Loop, FS Road 084, Francis Peak and Wastach Pond

Part 2:

The original plan for today was to head out with a group from the FJ Cruiser Forum to run Wards Canyon and Skyline Drive but due to my work schedule it didn't happen. Well, come to find out about 1pm I get a text from dispatch that the project I was assigned to tonight had just canceled and I had the night off now.

So needing something to do this afternoon instead of getting some sleep for work tonight I decided to head back up Skyline drive and finish the loop. Truthfully, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy myself the views were awesome, seeing rain storms start and stop, finding some new places for future camping trips and just being out in the open was great. One disappointment I did have have the disrepair of Bountiful Peak Picnic area, most of the picnic tables had weeds coming up though them and the trails to some of the tables and restroom were becoming overgrown.

Ultimately, in the end I ended up running the loop from Bountiful to Farmington, hit up FS Road 084 and some how winding up at the Wasatch-Cache National Forest Pond (I think).

Heading up:
100_0157.jpg

Panoramic1.jpg

Panoramic2.jpg

Panoramic3.jpg

100_0180.jpg

100_0183.jpg

100_0192.jpg

100_0196.jpg

100_0198.jpg

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Heading up to Francis Peak and around:
Panoramic11.jpg

Panoramic121.jpg

100_0254.jpg

100_0255.jpg

100_0256.jpg

Right below the snow-line is next road back to the pond
100_0275.jpg

100_0278.jpg

Snow-melt still in July
100_0281.jpg

100_0282.jpg

Panoramic15.jpg

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Wasatch-Cache Pond:
100_0284.jpg

100_0285.jpg

100_0287.jpg

100_0288.jpg

Panoramic13.jpg

100_0294.jpg

Panoramic14.jpg

Finally, decided to head back.
100_0304.jpg

Random snow melt photo:
100_0306.jpg

100_0311.jpg

So that's all.

Rest of the photo's can be found here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v681/tbox/Skyline Drive 7-12-09/

**Rant Alert** What is up with the ATV, Rhino and Dirt Bike riders running around like bats out of hell up there. I don't know how many times I about hit theses riders, they would come speeding around blind corners at full throttle, on the wrong side of the road around these corners or riding double file down the roads. Do they have a death or think that they own the road? Not to say all the riders I came across were like this but a vast majority was. Come on and use some common sense people. **Rant Ended**

02TahoeMD

Explorer
When I saw the thread title, I thought of Skyline Drive down in VA, which is pretty but is entirely paved. And highly, highly congested during summer tourist season.

What a delight to see these roads in Utah. Now THAT is a Skyline Drive I would love to go roam on. Still, even with your rant, there has to be tons less people up there vs the one here on the Eastern Seaboard.

Great pics and thanks for sharing. Have to add that to my list of places to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles