JK/J8 Flippac rumor??

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
They are comming soon.....:Wow1:

no pictures yet , but if you look at the site there might be a pic,, I havnt found it yet.
http://www.wildboarproducts.com/campertops.html...
Luis, I was just thinking yesterday if I should mention Wildboar. I hope their plans are still on. I sent Wildboar 2 e-mails in this regard a couple months back and have not received any response from them. This campertop teaser page they have now on their website for 6 months or more with no updates ...

LUISJG

Explorer
Luis, I was just thinking yesterday if I should mention Wildboar. I hope their plans are still on. I sent Wildboar 2 e-mails in this regard a couple months back and have not received any response from them. This campertop teaser page they have now on their website for 6 months or more with no updates ...

same here,, no return emails,, im sure who ever comes out with this,,will make a killing.

I saw the AEV prototype at SEMA and it was great,,wonder why they have not gone forward with it..

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
same here,, no return emails,, im sure who ever comes out with this,,will make a killing.

I saw the AEV prototype at SEMA and it was great,,wonder why they have not gone forward with it..

I am not sure how big the market really is; if you look at this thread, there are maybe 10 - 15 Expo members really interested, not more. AEV has been in the Jeepn business for quite a while, I fear they had their reasons.

18seeds

Explorer
I am not sure how big the market really is; if you look at this thread, there are maybe 10 - 15 Expo members really interested, not more. AEV has been in the Jeepn business for quite a while, I fear they had their reasons.

FWIW: One of these may be enough to get me to buy a jeep

.........Going with an Earthroamer style off the back only complicates things. The Earthroamer uses a winch to open and close it....... Thanks, Looks good!

I thought Earthroamer opted to do it that way to make it easier for thier customers to "flip their lid" ....pun intended :elkgrin:

I don't see why a torsion bar off the rear wouldn't work just as well as it does off of the front. Remember this negates the need for an awning which can save a customer anywhere from $300- $800+ dollars.

I also agree about not loading up the interior. Keep it simple. Sleeping area with room to stand while getting dressed. Which reminds me, some type of window covering for the Jeep should be in order.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Linda,
That would be the unit we made for Safari Pacific.
M
I don't know much about the JKs but have been watching this thread with interest. According to FRP, there are only two different sizes of the top piece - the part that flips, with the mattress in it. For fullsize and "mini"-trucks, corresponding to the substantially different widths.

That's why all the different shaped bottom pieces depending on whether it's a longbed, regular bed or shortbed. You can see how different these two look - one on a Tacoma regular bed, the other on a Tundra longbed.
flippers.jpg

So just from looking at the pics on this thread, I think you're right - the "nose" on the camper part would have to extend closer to the front of the JK - that space behind the back seats looks tiny!

As far as height - I agree here also - it would have to be higher than the roofline of the JK. 7" seems about right. My flip when opened has about 6" of clearance between the cab roof and the mattress part. I wish it was higher because I'd like to put a roof rack on the cab. I don't have any really good pictures of this but these should give some idea:

partsoverview.jpg

openwithcrank.jpg

Last time I was at FRP they told me they'd recently made their smallest ever - 48" (that would be the truck bed length) - maybe Mario can tell us about that?

(sorry my pics are all different sizes)

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I got an answer from Wildboar Products today and it sounds promising:

Hi Michael,

We are testing the Camper prototypes now. Once we are satisfied with the qc finalize patterns & molds and begin the initial production run we will post images and information to our website and begin advertising.

I expect 6-8 weeks out from now.

Bart K.
techsupport@wildboarproducts.com
http://www.wildboarproducts.com
:coffee: I'd say lets sit tight and wait.

kb7our

Explorer
Thanks Mario, that looks cool!

I stole this pic from his build thread, very impressive. This illustrates exactly what I was talking about, short bed = long "nose".

at_flippac4.jpg

I've been missing out on a terrific thread for JKs. This one seems very workable especially for anyone pulling a trailer the nose does not get in the way out in back of the Jeep. Not sure where an awning might go as it appears that the roof length isn't terribly long or perhaps it's deceiving and a smaller 6' awning could fit on the side like Mario's setup. I'll be watching this thread for sure :Wow1:.

Wade

Roktoys84

Adventurer
I think many people are forgetting that this thread was about a Flip Pac for JKs, not about one-off custom campers. In order for something like this to sell to the masses it would need to be as close to a direct fit replacement top as possible, nothing more. Leave all the customizing to the individual.

I agree that the AEV design looks great, but the Flip Pac just has so much more interior space (and that is what AT is offering), I think that is the design to stick with.

Here is a quick chop (it looks hack, I'm just learning).

attachment.php

Attachments

• JK Flip Pac.jpg
    JK Flip Pac.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2,426
Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I think many people are forgetting that this thread was about a Flip Pac for JKs, not about one-off custom campers.
Nice chop, but I might be missing your point regarding custom campers: We were all talking mostly about how a FlipPac would have to look to fit on a JK and then about some other companies working on possible camper shells for the JK, not at all about custom campers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles