who knew? Pope an xtreme off-roader

Status
Not open for further replies.

jh504

Explorer
Also, I thought I'd add that us Americans killed over half a million Japanese(primarily civilians) during WWII(and all we got is Jeep). And that doesn't take into account the deformations and disease for decades to follow.

Thats what used to happen when you attacked someone unprovoked. You got dealt with. Now we just ********** foot around trying not to hurt the worlds feelings.

Gurkha

Adventurer
What goes around comes around, you nuke someone they nuke you back and then its disaster all over, equations have changed. So I guess even with the unprovoked attack, killing millions of civilians was justified I guess so why just blame the Nazis then. Whats the difference here. Also don't forget that during the end of war, Churchill deliberately bombed Dresden with incendeary bombs causing loss of massive number of civilian life. Irony was that it was just un-necessary as Germany was on brink of defeat. Everyone has committed atrocities one point at a time, some are still committing it today with impunity, such is the way of the world, no one can claim to be a saint.

Anyways, Hitler or not, G Wagen will remain to be a fantastic concept of vehicle enduring all and prevailing over time as it has shown till today.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
We wouldn't have VW, specifically the beetle, the G-Wagon, the Autobahn, or Ramstein AB if it wasn't for Hitler. Not exactly a fair trade but hey. Also, I thought I'd add that us Americans killed over half a million Japanese(primarily civilians) during WWII(and all we got is Jeep). And that doesn't take into account the deformations and disease for decades to follow. Also, the Hitler Youth in most cases did not offer a choice in membership, as was the case with the Nazi party...you either joined or you might as well have been Jewish yourself. Anyway, if everyone had just taken their G-Wagens and gone overlanding there wouldn't have been a problem right?:smiley_drive:

Just curious, why did you want to add all that? I reread the thread to see if I missed the relevant point, and still didn't find it.

jh504

Explorer
What goes around comes around, you nuke someone they nuke you back and then its disaster all over, equations have changed. So I guess even with the unprovoked attack, killing millions of civilians was justified I guess so why just blame the Nazis then. Whats the difference here. Also don't forget that during the end of war, Churchill deliberately bombed Dresden with incendeary bombs causing loss of massive number of civilian life. Irony was that it was just un-necessary as Germany was on brink of defeat. Everyone has committed atrocities one point at a time, some are still committing it today with impunity, such is the way of the world, no one can claim to be a saint.

Anyways, Hitler or not, G Wagen will remain to be a fantastic concept of vehicle enduring all and prevailing over time as it has shown till today.

Ever heard of the term guilty by association? If your country is attacking super powers for no reason and you stay in your country, or even support its cause, then you are guilty by association and therefore an enemy of the opposing country. I am American, when another country, or people group, or whatever, kills my fellow countrymen, I back my country. If the Japanese didn't want there civilians to get caught in the cross fire then they shouldn't have bombed Pearl Harbor! We didn't start WWII, we just finished it.
By the way, I am no war hawk, but I do still have some national pride left.

Last edited:
What a strange deterioration of this topic. At any rate the devastating bombing of Japan at the end of World War II saved far more lives than it took. History is important. Revisionist history is not.

jh504

Explorer
What a strange deterioration of this topic. At any rate the devastating bombing of Japan at the end of World War II saved far more lives than it took. History is important. Revisionist history is not.

^ Very true statement here.

Anyhow, the Pope does role hard in the G Wagon. Is that bullet proof glass that incases him, or are those just bars?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Alright guys and gals. This thread is moving towards a **********-bottom. :littlefriend:

Two choices here:

1 - Stop the rehashing of WW2, politics, etc, because we all know that doesn't match what ExPo is about.
2 - Keep going and watch this thread get locked.

Pete

jh504

Explorer
Alright guys and gals. This thread is moving towards a **********-bottom. :littlefriend:

Two choices here:

1 - Stop the rehashing of WW2, politics, etc, because we all know that doesn't match what ExPo is about.
2 - Keep going and watch this thread get locked.

Pete

Sorry, I just get a little amped for the Red, White, and Blue, when people run it down.
I tried to get back on topic in the last post.

Gurkha

Adventurer
Ever heard of the term guilty by association? If your country is attacking super powers for no reason and you stay in your country, or even support its cause, then you are guilty by association and therefore an enemy of the opposing country. I am American, when another country, or people group, or whatever, kills my fellow countrymen, I back my country. If the Japanese didn't want there civilians to get caught in the cross fire then they shouldn't have bombed Pearl Harbor! We didn't start WWII, we just finished it.
By the way, I am no war hawk, but I do still have some national pride left.

Same thing applies to all, so should the terrorists justify their strike against US?

Anyways back to G.

Nice vid of G with diff locks engaged in action on the test track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUBFcqBU_OM&feature=email

Last edited:

rdb4Runner

Observer
A little defense

1. I made the comment because there seemed to be an unfair bias within certain comments (probably my perception) in the thread and wanted to portray the other side(however my comments were detremental to the thread and therefore shouldn't have been posted).

2. I think my 5 yrs and running of military service, two deployments in support of our cause:26_16_2:, and being stationed overseas my entire career speaks for my opinion of the red, white and blue.

3. Hi, I'm new here:av-7:. Actually I've been around for awhile wishing I could go on some of these trips.

4. From wikipedia: Some Popemobiles are open air, while others have bulletproof glass to enclose the Pope. Some allow the Pope to sit, while others are designed to accommodate the Pope standing. The variety of Popemobiles allows the Vatican to select a vehicle appropriate for each usage depending upon the level of security needed and distance and speed of travel. The vehicle registration plate of the Popemobile reads "SCV 1". "SCV" stands for Stato della Città del Vaticano, which is Italian for the Vatican City State (literal translation: "State of the City of the Vatican").

rdb4Runner

Observer
I guess this isn't the first time the Pope was rockin a G "During the papal visit to the United States in September 1987, a pair of Mercedes-Benz 230 G Popemobiles were flown to Washington, D.C. and modified by the Secret Service to provide access to from the driver's compartment, a design that continued to be used after the trip. One of these vehicles has been retired and is currently on display at the Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart, Germany."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MHV_MB_W460_230G_Pope_1980_01.jpg

jh504

Explorer
Same thing applies to all, so should the terrorists justify their strike against US?

I wouldnt know, Im not a terrorist, Im American.

1. I made the comment because there seemed to be an unfair bias within certain comments (probably my perception) in the thread and wanted to portray the other side(however my comments were detremental to the thread and therefore shouldn't have been posted).

2. I think my 5 yrs and running of military service, two deployments in support of our cause, and being stationed overseas my entire career speaks for my opinion of the red, white and blue.

Im not too worried about any unfair bias towards Nazis or imperialist Japan.

Much respect given to you for serving your country overseas. There is much to be said for that. We might have different opinions on world politics but you have my respect and admiration for your service. Welcome to ExPo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles