Taco Regearing cost?

GaryMc

Explorer
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on regearing my '03 Tacoma? Labor and parts?
The combination of 33's and the Four Wheel Camper have turned it into a bit of a dog....

Thanks,

Gary

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on regearing my '03 Tacoma? Labor and parts?
The combination of 33's and the Four Wheel Camper have turned it into a bit of a dog....

Thanks,

Gary

I think parts and labor will run about a grand at a shop.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I just got a quote to put 4.56's in my 2005.

Front Gears: $220
Rear Gears: $271
B&S Kit: $152
Seal&Shim Kit: $45
Labor Front: $652*
Labor Rear: $507*

Total= $1847

*The labor quoted includes installation of ARB lockers front and rear (but not ARB compressor, switches, etc.). The labor would be slightly less for gears only.

The prices I quoted are from a local, well respected, shop in San Diego. I think you could find a better price elsewhere. I'm also seriously considering shipping my diffs to East Coast Gear Supply. If you remove and ship your diffs, they'll install the gears and ship them back at a significant discount. I've done some research and they seem to have a good rep. Might be worth a call.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I just got a quote to put 4.56's in my 2005.

Front Gears: $220
Rear Gears: $271
B&S Kit: $152
Seal&Shim Kit: $45
Labor Front: $652*
Labor Rear: $507*

Total= $1847

*The labor quoted includes installation of ARB lockers front and rear (but not ARB compressor, switches, etc.). The labor would be slightly less for gears only.

The prices I quoted are from a local, well respected, shop in San Diego. I think you could find a better price elsewhere. I'm also seriously considering shipping my diffs to East Coast Gear Supply. If you remove and ship your diffs, they'll install the gears and ship them back at a significant discount. I've done some research and they seem to have a good rep. Might be worth a call.

Wow, I was off a bit. Thanks for breaking it down HMR.

Willman

I too have priced it out...

Came out to be around $1,200......This price is taking out your own diffs and taking them to a local shop for some under the table side work.

Supercharger.....still kicking it around!

:smiley_drive:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
How will it effect engine longevity? I've got 85k on the truck....

I've got 100K supercharged miles on my 3.4ltr, with 149K total miles. My goal for this truck is 250K miles.

Gears will compensate for the 33's, they won't help much, if at all, with 700lbs of FWC. I think you'll find the cost of a SC & install, to be similar to regearing and with much better results.

YMMV....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I respectfully disagree. My 4.88 gears have helped tremendously with much more weight than 700-lbs.
From a 1,500-lb trailer to a 7,500-lb trailer, my 4.88s ROCK! :wings:

snip..

Gears will compensate for the 33's, they won't help much, if at all, with 700lbs of FWC. I think you'll find the cost of a SC & install, to be similar to regearing and with much better results.

YMMV....

dyogim

Explorer
If you are not in a hurry, search the message boards (TTORA, Pirate4x4, Yotatech, IH8MUD, etc) you should be able to find someone selling a complete third member with either 4.56's or 4.88's at a fair price and cheaper than a complete build. As far as the price for the build, I agree, it'll be about $1200 if you take the thrid members out yourself. Rather than having the shop remove it. This would also be a good time to install a traction system. Either lunchbox locker, LSD, Posi, auto locker or selectable.

Otherwise, you can do the gear install yourself. There's a lot of resources on the net to help you...

toy_tek

Adventurer
1200 sounds about right if you R&R yourself. Tim and I had both front and rear out in under 2 hours on his 01.

I have a 3.4 and the 4.88's made a huge difference in pulling my trailer which is about 1300lbs loaded. Not only that but you gain in slow crawl as well as downhill.

And x2 (or is it x3) on adding traction control now if were you thinking you might do it in the future.

Rexsname

Explorer
Mine was about $1500 or so.......I had an appointment at one well respected shop but that didn't work so well.

There is a thred around here somewhere, I'll look for it later today

REX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles