New Tacoma vs Colorado vs Ranger

Grassland

I have really enjoyed this thread everyone. Lots of valid points and interesting discussion.

Currently with the lack of full size incentives, mid size trucks are more affordable.
Being a person who finds an XLT F150 significantly equipped, I dislike how the off road trims are all jamming in goodies and amenities as standard, driving up the cost.
With the Fiddy going to aluminum (aluminium) the curb weight for a 300a XLT Supercab isn't that far off from a heavier crew cab mid size.
And as mentioned by others, a crew cab 6' bed Tacoma isn't all that nimble or short.
Outside of a supercab F150 with the 2.7 and payload package (up to 2200# payload, heavier duty rear axle and differential, springs etc) a lot of the full size trucks do indeed gain a lot of weight over a mid size and as mentioned by others, many trims do not offer much more payload.
Prior to this pandemic and supply chain issues and rampant inflation, it was actually cheaper for my to buy an F150 the way I'd like it than a Colorado or Tacoma the way I'd buy them.
Now it's about 10k CAD more for the F150 or Silverado vs a mid size.

I'm under the impression the Colorado has a much larger aftermarket these days than 10 years ago, but the Tacoma is always going to have the biggest selection.
I personally like the new Frontiers as far as price, looks, features, capabilities. But it won't have the aftermarket like the other two mid sizes mentioned.

I need/want a vehicle that can realistically tow 5000# (so a 6-7k tow rating) rear locker, 4x4 with low range transfer case.
My 2014 F150 3.7 naturally aspirated V6 with 1500# payload did everything I needed with 33" LT AT tires, cap, skids etc so a similarly weighted and powered mid size could do it.

skrypj

They're all based on the same architecture, that doesn't mean they share a frame. Probably some suspension parts are shared between the Tundra/LC300 and maybe trickle down to the new Tacoma.

I did see in an interview that all but the lowest power versions get a version of the 9.5" rear axle, a good sign that the powertrain has some real durability designed in.

The highest power versions get the 9.5. The lowest gets an 8.4. Or specfically I think he said a 240mm and 210mm

skrypj

Yes, kinda, but with caveats.

The full size trucks do have better specs in almost every category, that is true. But in many cases, that’s a marginal improvement - 1900lbs payload vs 1500 lbs payload. Some full size even have less payload than the mid size because of the number of options. MPG and range are both better, as is power, but MPG and Range are easily addressed with more gas and that’s rarely truly necessary in North America — motorbikes do the most remote run in the continent all the time and almost every one has less range than a truck.

So, there are marginal improvements in payload, and the other improvements are there but not necessarily significant. The negatives are weight and size. For an extra few hundred pounds of payload capacity, the full size trucks are often over a thousand pounds heavier or more than their mid-size counterparts as a starting curb weight. Because they are bigger, they fit more stuff and the “better bring the kitchen sink” means that loaded up, they are even more significantly heavier (assuming the mid size is kept in spec; many are not). And the physical footprint is much bigger, which impacts turning and off road performance in the bush, and makes them a bit less easy to drive in populated areas.

I can find a way around most of the issues a mid-size presents — keep things light to stay in payload (400lbs is rather easily found in aluminum vs steel armour, or by taking a backpacker mentality to your kit). Have a way to bring Jerry’s for the occasional time more range is a nice to have. And as far as performance, they all go way faster than the speed limit and get to that limit…eventually — the newer gen ones quite quickly actually. But, I cannot make a full size truck more narrow, and that extra weight can be the difference between sliding off the weakened bank of the mountain road or not. So, I personally weigh the pros and cons of both, and end up preferring the mid size truck for my needs.

If I was going to go full-size, it would either be the f150 with the heavy duty payload package, or I’d skip right past the 1500 series trucks and go for a minimum of a 2500 series. Same relative footprint, but that’s when you start getting seriously impressive payload advantages over the mid size class.

What if you wanted to do something silly with your new, shiny, 315hp/400 ft-lbs truck? like tow? Or even just run some aggressive 33's and and RTT and stuff. Thats where the 18 gallons sucks.

I honestly think Ford does it to keep the Ranger from stepping on the F150's toes. If they made it too capable(like a mid 20's gallon tank and a 6' bed), then suddenly there is a ton of overlap into the 3.3 and 2.7L F150's and we can't have that. There is no reason they couldnt have fit a larger tank in a 130" wheelbase leaf sprung truck when Toyota is able to fit a 23 gallon tank in a 109" wheelbase 4Runner/GX with a linked rear axle.

The older 4wd mini trucks weighed in the low 3,000lb range! Mid-size vs full is indeed pretty marginal all around.

Thats cause they were tin cans. I just sold my 1995 4runner and I honestly didnt love driving my kids around in it because it just doesnt have a lot of beef to it.

Not only it’s not a “solid bump over what the Ranger offers” but it’s less. The new ranger max Payload is 1805 lbs for the base model. the 1700 you refer to is for a base Taco, that’s the max payload for bare bone. So I insist, the TRD Pro / Trailhunter payload is a big question mark.
At this point if the ZR2 had 1500lbs payload I would place an order. For the old ZR2, they make a very cheap kit that includes add-a-leaf and stiffer front spring. That gives you much better load carrying capacity and would be a perfect solution but unfortunately that does not change your “legal” payload.
If the Trailhunter has 1500lbs payload I think I will buy it. 500lbs for the Lone Peak Camper and drawer system, that leaves me 1000lbs for gear and 3 people which is plenty.
My fully loaded Badlands Sasquatch Bronco has 980 lbs of payload. I weighted myself with the RTT and all the gear for a week of camping and we used 100% of the payload. On a Truck I have to take into account that a Lone Peak will be heavier than my RTT, and kid + kid equipment thus why 1500 would be a good number. 1150 from the ZR2 is too low unless I just put extra leaf/stiff spring and drive above the weight which 99% overlanders do in the US.

I would be interested to hear about why you want to move back from a truck to a wagon?

No Frontier because I do not like it, and no Gladiator because it’s overpriced and I don’t like the solid front axle nor the lack of safety and tech. I extensively tested a Wrangler, and I am happy to report that my Bronco is a million time better in so many way I would not trade it for a Wrangler if you paid me.

It‘s pretty simple. I have a Bronco with RTT + slide/fridge setup. We absolutely love it. However, space is limited in the trunk and with a kid on the way, it just won’t work anymore.
A midsize + a Lone Peak Camper essentially gives us a Bronco with a trunk that’s double the length/volume which is exactly what we need. On top of that it gives us the ability to stand which we can’t with our RTT. and it’s a much better “RTT” than what we have.

Why on earth would I pay more, have worst mpg, have something longer and wider that’s a PITA in town and on narrow trails alike?
I would not buy a full size if you paid me the difference.

A full sized SUV seems to check a lot of your boxes, has a ~120" wheelbase, and a tighter turning radius than a Ranger. Its still wide but FAR more manuverable than a 145" wheelbase FS truck so you can still get around obstacles. And your breakover should be better than a mid sized too.

I have a 157" F150 and there have not been many, if any, situations where I physically couldnt get down a trail due to the size.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I need/want a vehicle that can realistically tow 5000# (so a 6-7k tow rating) rear locker, 4x4 with low range transfer case.
My 2014 F150 3.7 naturally aspirated V6 with 1500# payload did everything I needed with 33" LT AT tires, cap, skids etc so a similarly weighted and powered mid size could do it.
Most midsizers will support that tow rating. I have a 5,500 lb (wet weight) 23' (hitch to bumper) trailer. When looking at trucks last year, I realllllly wanted to downsize to a midsize truck. But after spending lots of time doing research, what is written on paper doesn't translate to real life. While people can and do tow that and more with a midsizer, I read over and over that it was a white knuckle experience. I thought since I only tow during the summer, no big deal. But, the thought of fighting sway on every trip convinced me to stay full size.

As far as these trucks go, they all seem like nice trucks. OP, test drive them and go with whichever you like best. I don't think any one of them will be a 'bad' truck.

For me, if I could go midsize, I'd drive each one but I wouldn't go with the Offroady versions myself. I don't have the need for a Bison or Tremor. A regular ol Z71 or FX4 would be more capable than I realistically need and I might end up with a little more payload since I'd be foregoing the softer off road biased suspension.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It may be picking nits to compare these trucks, at this point (not denying that bench racing is fun!).
First, we don’t have all the specs.
Second, the aftermarket will often favor some trucks over others.
Lastly, unless things change drastically on the supply chain front, we may have to buy the one that’s actually obtainable. :(
Just a side note
All dealers especially big auto group owned store fronts have moved to a hidden stock format in CA. Which tends to lead dealer scheme trends ahead of other markets in the US. The local Mercedes dealer has literally stripped their lot clean of all inventory except 1 example of each model/trim. The sales staff give you the OMG we have no inventory BS everything is ordered and it’s months wait unless we can find it somewhere song.

But I walk a 4 block radius around their store and I count 6 hidden lots with about 500 new vehicles stuffed into them still with transport wrapping on them?.

Its kinda the weird Tesla sales model (one example of each model) mixed with the used car lot scam artist.

I told the kid wow I should probably buy my next Mercedes from another dealer you guys are probably going out of business with no inventory ??. Oh no we can find any car you want! What are you looking for? LoL

Lithia Toyota dealers polished that game in CA 15yrs ago btw.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Same. I think we have the same turning radius as a semi.
Definitely agree on the turning radius thing. My 2019 heavy tow standard length Expedition pulls a U turn about 6in more space needed than my Subaru Outback. And it’s shorter than the mid sized crew with 5ft bed. Far better passenger comfort/ seating configuration options. I still haul stuff. Heck took two 40gal water heaters over to my rental last week. And yesterday was loaded full of end of school party supplies for on campus event. Its been the right choice. For lumber, concrete etc? I use my heavy 4x6 utility trailer which I would use with one of these midsize trucks to avoid messing up an expensive rig, tearing up the bed, bed sides, tailgate etc.

skrypj

Definitely agree on the turning radius thing. My 2019 heavy tow standard length Expedition pulls a U turn about 6in more space needed than my Subaru Outback. And it’s shorter than the mid sized crew with 5ft bed. Far better passenger comfort/ seating configuration options. I still haul stuff. Heck took two 40gal water heaters over to my rental last week. And yesterday was loaded full of end of school party supplies for on campus event. Its been the right choice. For lumber, concrete etc? I use my heavy 4x6 utility trailer which I would use with one of these midsize trucks to avoid messing up an expensive rig, tearing up the bed, bed sides, tailgate etc.

Im really starting to think a FS SUV is the way to go to have an offroad capable, tow capable, family capable truck. You lose the bed, but every other vehicle has a bunch of compromises too.

I wish Ford would bring the Excursion back. Solid axles, locker and a 7.3L/10 speed would be sweet.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Im really starting to think a FS SUV is the way to go to have an offroad capable, tow capable, family capable truck. You lose the bed, but every other vehicle has a bunch of compromises too.

I wish Ford would bring the Excursion back. Solid axles, locker and a 7.3L/10 speed would be sweet.
Our Suburban was a good vehicle and took our family on lots of adventures. Can't knock a full size SUV. Almost went with an Expedition EL but didn't trust the 5.4L For our use case the truck bed comes in handy though.
1078691_10201310563113649_79273165_o.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-12 144926.png

nickw

Adventurer

The expedition is a pretty rad rig with small lift and some 33/35's, the max tow, from what I understand, uses the big 9.5" rear end:

1685065476585.png

jaywo

As far as these trucks go, they all seem like nice trucks. OP, test drive them and go with whichever you like best. I don't think any one of them will be a 'bad' truck.

For me, if I could go midsize, I'd drive each one but I wouldn't go with the Offroady versions myself. I don't have the need for a Bison or Tremor. A regular ol Z71 or FX4 would be more capable than I realistically need and I might end up with a little more payload since I'd be foregoing the softer off road biased suspension.

I agree it’s best to test drive. Almost impossible though if I want it next year. There is already a huge line for the raptor and Tacoma.
As far as I am concerned my best ever memories were on incredible remote camp sites that needed serious off-roading to get there. Fully use the capability of my bronco to the point I am even concerned if a ZR2 will be sufficient, especially in the break over and departure angle category.
A full sized SUV seems to check a lot of your boxes, has a ~120" wheelbase, and a tighter turning radius than a Ranger. It’s still wide but FAR more manuverable than a 145" wheelbase FS truck so you can still get around obstacles. And your breakover should be better than a mid sized too.

Not really. I don’t know any full size SUV that cost 50K fully loaded and comes with skid plates, 33-35in tires, dual lockers and 2.5in external reservoir suspensions.
Additionally, a full size SUV would mean use the RTT I have now which is nowhere near as nice as having a camper like the lone peak.

I think a mid size truck is the perfect response to my need. I am just trying to pick the right one among 3 models that I can’t test drive haha.

nickw

Adventurer
I agree it’s best to test drive. Almost impossible though if I want it next year. There is already a huge line for the raptor and Tacoma.
As far as I am concerned my best ever memories were on incredible remote camp sites that needed serious off-roading to get there. Fully use the capability of my bronco to the point I am even concerned if a ZR2 will be sufficient, especially in the break over and departure angle category.

Not really. I don’t know any full size SUV that cost 50K fully loaded and comes with skid plates, 33-35in tires, dual lockers and 2.5in external reservoir suspensions.
Additionally, a full size SUV would mean use the RTT I have now which is nowhere near as nice as having a camper like the lone peak.

I think a mid size truck is the perfect response to my need. I am just trying to pick the right one among 3 models that I can’t test drive haha.
Are your requirements 'fully loaded', 'dual lockers' and 'external reservoir shocks'? I mean those are certainly nice to have, but not required for 99% of expedition work. Kinda feels like you are ruling out a few rigs with those, unless those are truly deal breakers....they very well may be, just asking.

A deal breaker for sure is truck vs SUV.

Where are these remote campsites out of curiosity?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
For sure. Everyone's uses are different. For me I need payload / towing more than off-road capability.
I love all the off road models, Rebels, Power Wagons, AT4's, Tremors, Raptors, PRO etc...

But if I'm real with myself about how I use a truck, they are far more off-road capable than I'd ever need.
So I'd just end up paying for features I'd never take advantage of.

If possible maybe drive the regular version of the trucks if PRO's and Raptors aren't available to drive?
At least you'd get an idea or ergonomics, seating position, room etc?

Are you planning to order one or wait till inventory is on dealer lots?

For what it's worth and not sure if this is still the case, but I was able to negotiate a deal in Jan 2022 because I factory ordered a truck vs buying one off the lot since inventory was low. Might be the same case here with these high end model trucks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles