Old mountain bike

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
I have a mid 90s Giant iguana model mountain bike in real good condition.
Around 2005 I upgraded all the shifting and braking components.
Probably haven't riden it at least 10yrs.
So, it's still very usable.
I don't want to give it away but, does it have any value?
Thanks

Hnoroian

Observer
Sure does. Clean it and replace/repair worn items and start riding again. If you are looking to sell it for the “value” look at local bicycles in the classifieds where you are and you will get an idea.

J!m

I still have my Ibis Mojo from the early 90’s… all top line components too (Paul’s, Cook Brothers, XT/XTR, ti Ibis handlebar…

They are worth what you get paid for it. Unfortunately, not a lot.

nickw

Adventurer
I have a mid 90s Giant iguana model mountain bike in real good condition.
Around 2005 I upgraded all the shifting and braking components.
Probably haven't riden it at least 10yrs.
So, it's still very usable.
I don't want to give it away but, does it have any value?
Thanks
Post up a pic - vintage bikes command a premium depending on model.....

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Saddles a little rough.
What do you think it's worth?
Haven't posted on Craigslist.... yet.

Attachments

• 20230519_105642.jpg
    20230519_105642.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230519_105554.jpg
    20230519_105554.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 25

Steve_382

You might also check The Pro's Closet. Might be more for high end stuff, but worth a look for a value anyhow.

Mfitz

Bike like this are probably worth more to the current owner than for sale. You might get a taker on CL but I wouldn't expect much. I have sold pretty decent mtn bikes (for their time) for very little because the components and standards changed so much, they got outdated pretty quickly. Perfectly rideable in the right conditions, just not valuable on the used market. $150-$250 would be my guess.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've regretted selling my old bikes back in the day. I wish I still had the bikes I went through back then as I moved up and got hooked more and more - a Schwinn High Plains, Giant ATX 780, then a GT Zaskar. The GT was replaced by a Rhygin Juke SS.

I was smart enough not to sell the Rhygin and have kept all my bikes and most components since. But the stuff from 2000 on doesn't have quite the same historical and nostalgic value as the late 80s up to mid 90s stuff.

So yeah, vintage bikes do get money but it's unique and mid to high end bikes and especially ones with original parts.

Value on this Iguana is probably not a lot, though, in real dollars. It has practical value to someone who needs a bike, so I'd sell cheap or donate it to a kid or someone who needs it.

toddz69

Explorer
Regrettably probably not more than $50, I hate to say. The only vintage mountain bikes that bring much $$ at all are the highly collectible ones (I'm a Ritchey man myself and they're not cheap). @J!m's Ibis would also be a very collectible one.

Like others mention - check out the local CL and see what folks are asking for bikes.

Todd Z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier