hilift come along with straps vs chain?

trae

Adventurer
Hey folks, I'm wondering if there is an option to use hilift or a farm jack with straps rather than chains? I'm already carrying a tow strap and a tree protector; I'm not gonna carry any chain. But I can't visualize how repositioning would be done with straps. Is it even possible?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It makes for a long hard day with plenty of opportunity to hurt yourself. Even a polyester 'tow' strap is still going to stretch about 5-10% plus whatever you are going to need just to take up the slack. Adjusting the length of the strap can be done by twisting it, but honestly, I wouldn't wish farm jack 'winching' on my worst enemy even with the best setup.

J!m

You should have at least two lengths of load chain with grab hooks... for the genius on a trail with no business there and therefore, no proper recovery points. (Or that one time the entire front bumper/winch mount ripped off the frame...)

Don't like long lengths of grade-100 chain? me either. I carry a spare 50-ft length of "plasma cable" or whatever you kids are calling it these days (Synthetic winch line). Super-light and very little stretch- no stored energy...

1682516746837.png

trae

Adventurer
Don't like long lengths of grade-100 chain? me either. I carry a spare 50-ft length of "plasma cable" or whatever you kids are calling it these days (Synthetic winch line). Super-light and very little stretch- no stored energy...

How do you re-rig/shorten the winch extension when using hilift as a come a long?

J!m

You can knot it to a shackle, or whatever else. The knot reduces the load capacity, but a hi-lift won't exceed this.

trae

Adventurer
You can use the daisy chain technique with a rolled up magazine or a stick....

That is brilliant. Something that has to be practiced regularly though, I forgot it the second I closed the video. Though it seems very straightforward when watching said video.

toy_tek

Adventurer
That is brilliant. Something that has to be practiced regularly though, I forgot it the second I closed the video. Though it seems very straightforward when watching said video.
Daisy chaining is how i store lashing straps - you can practice with those. I had been doing this for 25 years but using this method for a rigging synthetic winch line had never occurred to me. Cool to see.

Wendell-R

You can also use an X-Lock to shorten an extension cable.

Both the recommended "shortening" configuration of the XLock and the daisy chain have limits though - can't easily shorten it to less than 1/3 of its overall length.

Instead, use the X-Lock in "belay (lowering)" configuration but instead of holding the tail, lock it off around the X-Lock like you would do with a dock line on a cleat. That way, you can get most any length that you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles