From JLRU with roof-rack RTT to what?

allenstill90

I recently sold my 2019 JLRU i4 (pics and possibly relevant mods below) that I had modified myself and bought a 2023 JLRU 392 with the Xtreme Recon Package. I kept the lightbar, winch, and RTT, but they're currently just hanging out in the shed. I learned a lot about what I don't like with my first Jeep and now have a clean slate, but I'm honestly clueless what direction to go in at this point and I don't want to make the same mistakes I made the first go around again. I'm hoping you folks can help me answer some questions and steer me in the right direction. My first Jeep became an absolute PITA to drive on the interstate and wind/bumps/18-wheelers passing-by at times had me feeling like it was dangerous with all the pull and roll in the vehicle. I'm not really sure how I went from the decent ride quality to feeling like I was going to wreck the vehicle, but it only was a problem towards the end of my ownership. My MPGs also went from 22 to about 13-14 on the interstate with all the mods. I'm entertaining the idea of a Smittybilt Scout, DIY m416, Turtleback, or Patriot Campers option but the latter two are so expensive (although I could swing it if it solves all of my issues).

My wife and I have really enjoyed mild off-road and we try to take at least one trip across country from East TN (where we live) to CO, Utah, Wyoming, or the like every year. We now have a 16-month old that we've only done a few weekend trips with and the old Jeep was packed out completely. I'm not into extreme rock crawling or mud-riding at all and really just enjoy getting off the pavement, exploring pretty areas, and camping away from designated campgrounds. When we take these trips, we are typically loaded to the gills with gear and all of the essentials. I also like to drive a bit above the speed limit when traveling such far distances. We have a new addition to the family on the way, so the Jeep in about to get more cramped and heavy. I'd like to keep the 392 as stock as possible just things go south and I need to sell it, so the trailer is really appealing in that way as well. I almost feel like the trailer is going to be a necessity at this point with a family of 4 traveling across country for 2-weeks as I was already running out of room with just my wife and I before the baby. The thought has crossed my mind several times to just sell this Jeep and snag a minivan and ground tent honestly, but I don't want to give up eat my cake and having it to if I don't have to.

My apologies for the brain dump above, but hopefully it gives some context to those who are kind enough to read through it. I'll try to list some pointed and concise questions below.

1. I really do not want to drive 55 mph across the country. What kind of top speeds are folks typically running on the interstate with something like a Smittybilt Scout or a heavier Turtleback/Patriot trailer?
  2. Is gas mileage going to tank even harder with a trailer vs RTT on top (I guess I can't really complain there as I bought a 392)?
  3. Do you think pulling an offroad-style trailer will lend to better handling and safety vs my previous setup with the RTT on top of the vehicle?
  4. Is the JLUR 392 a bad choice for someone who isn't into extreme off-road to haul a RTT trailer across the country? Should I sell this thing and snag a Tundra or something?
  5. It seems to me like keeping a low center-of-gravity would be really beneficial. Has anyone had any experience with making a solution to lower and raise-up the RTT mounts on a trailer?
  6. Has anyone on here took an old m416 and refurbed it with similar goals as listed with little experience in the past? I've remodeled home and worked on my prior Jeep, but I've never done axle work or any welding, although I'm not opposed to it.
  7. Any general recommendation on things I might be missing from you guys who do similar trips with a family of 3, 4, or more? Is this a hobby I should just give up at this point as the Jeep is definitely a smaller vehicle for a family or will a trailer mostly fix this?
If you've read this far, I really appreciate it and will very much consider any and all input to helping me figure this out. My apologies if I've unknowingly broke any forum rules about asking too many questions or being too vague. I'm new here and I'll happily fix my post if so!

2019 JLUR with i4 turbo
  • Rhino-rack Backbone and Pioneer Rack
  • iKamper Skycamp 2.0
  • LOD Destroyer rear bumper with tire carrier, top rack, and jerry can mounts on each side
  • 35-inch Cooper Discovery S/T Maxx
  • Rough Country 2.5inch spacer lift kit
  • Air Lift 1000 air springs in rear (had to add to correct sag after rear bumper installed)
  • Rugged Ridge Arcus bumper (lighter weight) with a winch

jeep1.jpeg

2023 JLUR 392 (Xtreme Recon Package)
jeep2.jpeg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I would say that 95+% of your problem was the spacer lift kit. A real suspension would have made driving that no big deal in my opinion.

In answer to your other questions:

I saw virtually no mileage change when I moved my tent from the top of Jeep to trailer. I liked driving without the trailer more. Cali speed limit with trailer is 55, so I rarely cruise more than 60 with trailer and 70 without. Handling got better with trailer but not by much, towing is towing and takes a different driving style.

we run around as a family of 5 in my jk all the time, but realization that my wife really didn’t want to go and just wanted time away from the kids made out trips more fun for the rest of us.

Last edited:

allenstill90

I would say that 95+% of your problem was the spacer lift kit. A real suspension would have made driving that no big deal in my opinion.

In answer to your other questions:

I saw virtually no mileage change when I moved my tent from the top of Jeep to trailer. I liked driving without the trailer more. Cali speed limit with trailer is 55, so I rarely cruise more than 60 with trailer and 70 without. Handling got better with trailer but not by much, towing is towing and takes a different driving style.

we run around as a family of 5 in my jk all the time, but realization that my wife really didn’t want to go and just wanted time away from the kids made out trips more fun for the rest of us.

I really appreciate that info! That would be great if that were the bulk of my issues. I wonder if the air lift bags I have to put in the springs with them already having the spacer lift could have made that even worse?

All good stuff! I saw like a 3 MPG or so hit when I threw the RTT on my first Jeep, so sounds good that it'd be about the same with a trailer. I'd love to stay double-digits! The handling improvement over RTT on top of the vehicle, even if minimal, would be beneficial. I'll take any advantage I can get when the purpose of the vehicle to make 4,000 mile round-trip trips with it.

XJLI

Adventurer
If I was out west, I’d have a full size truck and a trailer. You can do 85 all day with a F150 towing 3000lbs and 1000lbs of people and gear.

Since you aren’t wheeling, keep the 392 totally stock. It’s already more capable than you need.

86scotty

Cynic
Have you considered a van? Vans were great before #vanlife :rolleyes: took hold and soon it will be again. I also live in TN and prefer to travel to Colorado and beyond a few times a year. That's why we love a van, the in between. I'm building my most capable one yet and the van itself cost less than a lot of these trailers.

Essentially we have two modes of travel. Quick trips are done in our unlifted JLU Willys i4. We tent camp if two of us and I sleep in the back on a DeepSleep mattress if I'm solo. I have kept this Jeep stock height with no lift for our low garage since it's her daily. It's extremely capable and still gets well over 20mpg at 80 mph all day on 33"s.

For longer trips it's a 2011 E30 Quigley V10 home build. It will go further than I really need to take it offroad and is great to live out of/family camp out of on longer trips. Gets about 12-13 mpg, hardly less than any other modified off-road capable rig.

Last edited:

blacklbzbeauty

TrailRecon Youtube channel. He is a jeep guy through and through and has a lot of good content.
He currently has a built 392 JLUR and pulls a Patriot camper. Fairly sure he has done reviews on the camper and Wrangler. Fair warning I believe he is affiliated with Patriot. They are pricey but the quality and capability are well known. If I were going to pull a trailer with your rig I would definitely consider.
With two kids and all the gear the trailer option seems the obvious choice.

allenstill90

Have you considered a van? Vans were great before #vanlife :rolleyes: took hold and soon it will be again. I also live in TN and prefer to travel to Colorado and beyond a few times a year. That's why we love a van, the in between. I'm building my most capable one yet and the van itself cost less than a lot of these trailers.

Essentially we have two modes of travel. Quick trips are done in our unlifted JLUR i4. We tent camp if two of us and I sleep in the back on a DeepSleep mattress if I'm solo. I have kept this Jeep stock height with no lift for our low garage since it's her daily. It's extremely capable and still gets well over 20mpg at 80 mph all day on 33"s.

For longer trips it's a 2011 E30 Quigley V10 home build. It will go further than I really need to take it offroad and is great to live out of/family camp out of on longer trips. Gets about 12-13 mpg, hardly less than any other modified off-roader.

I have not, but I'll definitely look into it! I have made an assumption that the van rigs were more suited for solo/duo and not for family, but I seem to wrong on that! Do they handle well on the interstate and end up being pretty comfortable for long trips?

allenstill90

TrailRecon Youtube channel. He is a jeep guy through and through and has a lot of good content.
He currently has a built 392 JLUR and pulls a Patriot camper. Fairly sure he has done reviews on the camper and Wrangler. Fair warning I believe he is affiliated with Patriot. They are pricey but the quality and capability are well known. If I were going to pull a trailer with your rig I would definitely consider.
With two kids and all the gear the trailer option seems the obvious choice.

For sure! I watch a good bit of TrailRecon and really enjoy his content. The Patriot and Turtleback seem really nice, but I am a bit worried about the weight and top-heaviness of their flagship models. Not to mention price. I could be convinced, but I'm really leaning towards the Smittybilt Scout if I go the trailer route (and I'm leaning that way currently as it does seem to be "the obvious choice"). Definitely not nearly as well made, but I think I can make due and do some nice mods to it. Thanks

allenstill90

On this, I went from stock 245/75R16s on my TJR to 185/100R16s and went from 17mpg to 22mpg... adding 95 miles to my range. I could never drive Nakusp to Calgary, 300 miles without a gas stop. Now it is easy.

View attachment 771581

I even cut the fenders to better fit the skinny tires.

View attachment 771579

Narrowing my Rubicon 2"... BEST mod I have done in 50 years of driving Jeeps.

View attachment 771580

BONUS.... A much smoother ride with the reduction in unsprung weight PLUS in winter driving the skinny tires just cut thru the slush down the center line letting me pass as guys with monster tires follow logging trucks with white knuckles.

That's crazy how much a difference a single mod can make. I definitely just "bought all the cool things" with my first Jeep, and before I knew it, I weighed so much and MPG and handling had completely tanked.

Thanks for all the info on the other post as well, brother. Starting to feel like a small overland-style trailer or building on a m416 with some help from local folks will be a wise decision!

zimm17

Observer
Awesome JK you have there. A few points- on your old Jeep, it was the terrible lift holding you back. My JKUR has road tripped from Miami to Moab and entire East Coast and back on 37" beadlocks humming down the road at 72mph with one finger on the wheel. Top notch suspension, hydraulic ram steering, and proper gearing make it possible.

I have 2 kids and went through the baby phase as well. They grow up quick and require less and less gear as they get older. I started out with a Casita camper, it had all the comforts of home, but in the end was just too big and heavy for a Jeep (later got an F150 also to pull it) and the boys outgrew the bunks when they hit 10 years old. So it's sold.

When I overland or go offroading, I'm usually solo and just use a backpacking tent and camping gear. One my last 2 week "expedition" we made it a point to use a motel every 3-4th day to shower and reset our gear. The last time the family of four went in the Jeep on a road trip (cub scout camping adventure), I used a hitch cargo rack and storage bag for all the bulky stuff (camp chairs, tables, sleeping gear, etc) Don't underestimate how comfortable you can be with a high quality tent. I run an ARB fridge to keep food and drinks cold.

As much as overland trailers or RTT seem like a cool idea, in the real world they look like a pain in the butt. With the RTT you have to break camp just to run to the store. With a trailer, you're stuck with it the whole trip plus at home storage becomes an issue.

Attachments

• Jeep - 1 of 1.jpeg
    Jeep - 1 of 1.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Jeep - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg
    Jeep - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 9
Awesome JK you have there. A few points- on your old Jeep, it was the terrible lift holding you back. My JKUR has road tripped from Miami to Moab and entire East Coast and back on 37" beadlocks humming down the road at 72mph with one finger on the wheel. Top notch suspension, hydraulic ram steering, and proper gearing make it possible.

I have 2 kids and went through the baby phase as well. They grow up quick and require less and less gear as they get older. I started out with a Casita camper, it had all the comforts of home, but in the end was just too big and heavy for a Jeep (later got an F150 also to pull it) and the boys outgrew the bunks when they hit 10 years old. So it's sold.

When I overland or go offroading, I'm usually solo and just use a backpacking tent and camping gear. One my last 2 week "expedition" we made it a point to use a motel every 3-4th day to shower and reset our gear. The last time the family of four went in the Jeep on a road trip (cub scout camping adventure), I used a hitch cargo rack and storage bag for all the bulky stuff (camp chairs, tables, sleeping gear, etc) Don't underestimate how comfortable you can be with a high quality tent. I run an ARB fridge to keep food and drinks cold.

As much as overland trailers or RTT seem like a cool idea, in the real world they look like a pain in the butt. With the RTT you have to break camp just to run to the store. With a trailer, you're stuck with it the whole trip plus at home storage becomes an issue.

I think fiberglass is a great option if you dont want to poop in a bucket and freeze at night in a tent.

allenstill90

Appreciate all the info there, Zimm. Good to hear another voice pointing the finger at the rough country spacer lift. I really do think that was the issue at this point. The high center-of-gravity from the RTT and all the wind it caught didn't help I'm sure.

At this point, I've already spent to $4k on the iKamper RTT and really don't want to sell it and lose (probably) half the money I sunk in, so I'm hoping to just keep it off the top of the Jeep and throw is a trailer with a lower rack to mount to and hopefully find a way to make it easily articulate up from camping and down for driving with some hydraulic assist possibly.

I've definitely given thought to selling the 392 and buying a truck and small camper like you had there, but I'd love to keep this Jeep and can't really afford to have both currently. Thankfully, I've got a good situation at home to store a small overland trailer if I do go that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles