New Bike Advice Needed

rcintx

Adventurer
Greetings all!

I know this section of EXPO is not very popular but perhaps the right person will stumble upon this thread and be able to throw some advice my way. I bought an entry level mountain bike somewhere between 15 and 20 years ago. The bike is a Giant Boulder SE (picture 26" wheels, no disc brakes, etc) that has had lots of love. I've done countless miles on the bike and experienced countless smiles on MTB trails, dirt roads, and city streets in my area. For the low entry price (less than $400) I think it has served me very well. I've kept up with maintenance and the bike has done everything I have asked of it over the last decade and a half.

My son has ridden a bike around the neighborhood for years with his buddies but I have recently introduced him to trail riding. He has completely fallen in love and wants to ride every weekend. I was able to pick him up an entry level bike on the used marking that he is riding very well. It has been tons of fun to introduce him to the sport and see him become more comfortable in his abilities and take on harder and harder challenges. I don't push, but I wholeheartedly support (even when my dad brain is terrified of what he about to attempt). It is a whole new world when your adventure buddy is your spawn and not one of your buddies.

While the old Giant is still serviceable it is starting to show more wear and tear and to be honest I am jonesing for new wheels. I think I can realistically scratch the itch with another "entry-level" bike as long as it has 29" wheels and disc brakes. However, my son and I have an interest in bikepacking and I don't want to sell my self short and get a bike that can't do both singletrack and bike-packing. From everything I have read any bike can do both but there are trade offs with any of them. I am great with keeping a hardtail and see no reason to go full suspension. Of course, I am open ears to recommendations.

I'll also throw out the idea of purchasing more of a single track bike and repurposing the Giant to bike-packing rig. I have done 0 research into this idea and have put very little thought into it, to be fair. But plan to spend some time doing both.

TL;dr: I am looking for advice on a new MTB bike that can handle singletrack and bikepacking. Preferred budget of under $1k but will consider up to $2k if warranted.

Willsfree

Gravel bikes can work for single track, bikepacking, commuting, endurance road and great around town. I ride a Raleigh Willard 2 with Shimano 105. Gearing choices are important for style/terrain. Do you want 2x or 1x? Mine is set up 50/34 front, 11/34 rear. Lowering front gearing to 46/30 for better climbing. Mountain bike will give you access to lower gears, but less speed for road touring.

rruff

Explorer
I definitely wouldn't get a gravel bike for MTB+ bikepacking. A decent hardtail MTB is what you want. I'd recommend Shimano drivetrain and brakes, 29" tubeless rims at least 30mm internal width, so you can fit at least 2.6" tires.

A true bikepacking rig will have frame mounts for attaching things... which are nice but not necessary. This is the cheapest one I've seen: Marin Pine Mountain 1 for $1249 : https://www.bikesonline.com/marin-pine-mountain-1-adventure-bikepacking-steel

I bought this frame and built it up. It's a rigid fork too, which I prefer. Kona Unit X, $1599: https://konaworld.com/unit_x.cfm

I'm going to throw this out there as I was thinking about buying it a couple years ago. It's been around for several years now, which is why it has a 10spd drivetrain. Good value and parts spec though. It's not a bikepacking bike, but it would work. Motobecane TAZ3 Trail 29er Plus, $1199: https://www.bikesdirect.com/product...st-bikes/taz3-trail-29er-plus-bikes.htm#specs

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Greetings all!

I know this section of EXPO is not very popular but perhaps the right person will stumble upon this thread and be able to throw some advice my way. I bought an entry level mountain bike somewhere between 15 and 20 years ago. The bike is a Giant Boulder SE (picture 26" wheels, no disc brakes, etc) that has had lots of love. I've done countless miles on the bike and experienced countless smiles on MTB trails, dirt roads, and city streets in my area. For the low entry price (less than $400) I think it has served me very well. I've kept up with maintenance and the bike has done everything I have asked of it over the last decade and a half.

My son has ridden a bike around the neighborhood for years with his buddies but I have recently introduced him to trail riding. He has completely fallen in love and wants to ride every weekend. I was able to pick him up an entry level bike on the used marking that he is riding very well. It has been tons of fun to introduce him to the sport and see him become more comfortable in his abilities and take on harder and harder challenges. I don't push, but I wholeheartedly support (even when my dad brain is terrified of what he about to attempt). It is a whole new world when your adventure buddy is your spawn and not one of your buddies.

While the old Giant is still serviceable it is starting to show more wear and tear and to be honest I am jonesing for new wheels. I think I can realistically scratch the itch with another "entry-level" bike as long as it has 29" wheels and disc brakes. However, my son and I have an interest in bikepacking and I don't want to sell my self short and get a bike that can't do both singletrack and bike-packing. From everything I have read any bike can do both but there are trade offs with any of them. I am great with keeping a hardtail and see no reason to go full suspension. Of course, I am open ears to recommendations.

I'll also throw out the idea of purchasing more of a single track bike and repurposing the Giant to bike-packing rig. I have done 0 research into this idea and have put very little thought into it, to be fair. But plan to spend some time doing both.

TL;dr: I am looking for advice on a new MTB bike that can handle singletrack and bikepacking. Preferred budget of under $1k but will consider up to $2k if warranted.
As an old Mountain Bike guy that has his 1987 GT still. Its been rebuilt many times and currently sitting on gravel bike tires and sports front panniers for weekly Farmers market runs.

If your mainly doing long sweeping trail rides vs Super technical/tight switch backs etc. The 29er is pure joy, rolls fast with little effort and softens up rough stuff. I have a Hard Tail 29er love it.

rcintx

Adventurer
All great stuff. I really like the Marin offerings from what I have seen online. I hope to make it by a local shop sometime this week to check them out in person.

Nothing we ride locally is what I would consider super technical. I am worried that the 29" wheels are going to be very different from what I am used to but hopefully once used to them I can keep up with the boy.

rcintx

Adventurer
Popped into the local shop yesterday. They have several bikes to choose from that should fit me and my style. What really caught my eye is a Specialized Rockhopper Expert. MSRP's at 1400 but on sale right now for $1k. Had all the features I want and several upgrades. Also has frame attachments should I decide to add a rear rack. Now to convince the wife....

Mfitz

Rockhoppers are decent bikes, I haven't seen the spec on that particular model so can't comment more specifically.
Here is what would be on my 'must have' list: 29" wheels, hardtail, 28mm id wheels for wider tires, 1x12 drive train (Shimano Deore is a better entry level kit than anything from SRAM below GX)

'must add later' list includes a dropper post and tires can always be swapped out based on use.

I personally think a Specialized Chisel or Fuse fits this bill as well as anything on the market right now. New prices are $1500-2000 but you could get a lightly used one from '20 or '21 for hundreds less.

rruff

Explorer
Good point about used. I think a lot of folks will be selling their pandemic excesses shortly...

Ditto on clearance for at least 2.6" tires and the rims to accommodate. And Shimano before Sram.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at 11spd Shimano. Just need to get a Sunrace rear cassette to get a 50t rear.

Mfitz

Good point about used. I think a lot of folks will be selling their pandemic excesses shortly...

Ditto on clearance for at least 2.6" tires and the rims to accommodate. And Shimano before Sram.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at 11spd Shimano. Just need to get a Sunrace rear cassette to get a 50t rear.
Agreed on 11spd in theory, but it is almost impossible to find 1x11 on any quality bike made in the last few years. An XT 11 spd rear end shifts superbly, is lighter and easier to adjust, but manufacturers think the buyers don't want it and buyers go along with that. Most bikes are geared too high anyway; if you are spinning out on a 1x11spd just get a slightly bigger front chainring, an easy and cheap swap. I would much rather have a gear low enough to climb what I want to climb and sacrifice a few mph which can only really be used on paved or dirt road downhills. Happy to coast a bit when I spin out!

If you go much older than a few years back, especially in hardtails, you get into older XC geometry (esp. steeper head angles) which can make it harder for an occasional rider/ lower skilled to navigate anything remotely technical- thinks get twitchy with steep head angles, long stems, and narrow bars. If you are just going to cruise at a mellow pace on non-technical flow trails, OK, but geometry advances in the last few years make bikes so much more fun and easier to ride.

A hardtail like the '20 and newer Chisel has a light and durable alloy frame (only slightly heavier than Specialized's Epic carbon race hardtail but much more versatile), modern geometry to handle more technical trails, efficient yet compliant pedalling dynamics, relatively cheap, and the frame is worthy of upgrades down the road. Hardtails like this are the one bike to have if you want the versatility and affordability the OP describes. Full susp. bikes in this price range are way too compromised, and even my Salsa Cutthroat bike packing/ gravel bike bike is harsh on any remotely bumpy singletrack. I still ride it like that sometimes, but I always wish I was on a hardtail in those moments. Or even my full susp. bke.

Come to think of it, maybe I should scout out a nice used Chisel to add to the quiver....... N+1!!

rruff

Explorer
When I built the Unit I put on an older road crank with a 34t ring, and have 11-50 11spd XT. I prefer the old geometry! Not a fan of slack head angles; a longer frame with a steeper head angle would be better for me.

One thing I absolutely hate is the thru-axles. I can see it on a suspension fork... but my bike is fully rigid and I have them front and back. I guess it eliminates the chance of the brake ejecting the wheel, but still...

rcintx

Adventurer
Rockhoppers are decent bikes, I haven't seen the spec on that particular model so can't comment more specifically.
Here is what would be on my 'must have' list: 29" wheels, hardtail, 28mm id wheels for wider tires, 1x12 drive train (Shimano Deore is a better entry level kit than anything from SRAM below GX)

'must add later' list includes a dropper post and tires can always be swapped out based on use.

I personally think a Specialized Chisel or Fuse fits this bill as well as anything on the market right now. New prices are $1500-2000 but you could get a lightly used one from '20 or '21 for hundreds less.

Specs on the Rockhopper bike I am considering are 29" wheels, 25mm wheels and SRAM Eagle SX. Head angle is 68.5. Full specs here:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/rockhopper-expert-29/p/199569?color=319661-199569

I'm not against used at all, just haven't found anything remotely close to what I want in my area.

rcintx

Adventurer

I keep thinking the same thing about the pandemic bikes. Hasn't happened yet in my area, unfortunately.

Mfitz

The link was broken, but I looked it up anyway. $500 off is great if the local dealers are doing that as well. Some weaknesses of that spec:
25mm id rims will severely limit how wide you can go with tires. Maybe 2.4? Probably a stretch but maybe doable....

100x9 and 135xr QR hubs are really outdated, narrow. I know rruff hates thru axles, but they really stiffen up a wheelset/ frame connection. Boost spacing and thru axles are the standard on decent mtb virtually everywhere today for good reason. I have never wished I could go back to QR in the past 10 years.

A bike like that might serve you fine for years to come, or it might not. It is certainly not as easily upgradable down the road- you can't change some of these limitations easily and it is hard to find better quality wheels and rims in that size without going custom built- which defeats the purpose of saving money in the first place. Around here you can get a used Chisel or equivalent hardtail from other manufacturers with a much more modern (and future-proof) spec for $1000-1200 if you are patient.

I would pass, but it's not my money, it is yours.

rcintx

Adventurer
The link was broken, but I looked it up anyway. $500 off is great if the local dealers are doing that as well. Some weaknesses of that spec:
25mm id rims will severely limit how wide you can go with tires. Maybe 2.4? Probably a stretch but maybe doable....

100x9 and 135xr QR hubs are really outdated, narrow. I know rruff hates thru axles, but they really stiffen up a wheelset/ frame connection. Boost spacing and thru axles are the standard on decent mtb virtually everywhere today for good reason. I have never wished I could go back to QR in the past 10 years.

A bike like that might serve you fine for years to come, or it might not. It is certainly not as easily upgradable down the road- you can't change some of these limitations easily and it is hard to find better quality wheels and rims in that size without going custom built- which defeats the purpose of saving money in the first place. Around here you can get a used Chisel or equivalent hardtail from other manufacturers with a much more modern (and future-proof) spec for $1000-1200 if you are patient.

I would pass, but it's not my money, it is yours.

I really appreciate the insight. MTB'ing is not very popular out here and their isn't much of a used market. Do you have a quick list of comparative bikes from other manufacturers? Broadening my used search might help things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier