Importing a Crew Cab Left Hand Drive Mitsubishi Fuso Canter 4x4

woolsocks

Don't rule out using a bed lift, as that can give you significant extra usable living space.
Also... be aware that a bed that changes into a seating area has to be made up on a daily basis. That can get old really quick, especially if you plan on living in the camper for extended periods.

I get that. Our plan is to keep it in bed mode and primarily sit outside underneath an awning with chairs and just use the interior for bad weather, but I appreciate the perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kerry

Expedition Leader
Don't rule out using a bed lift, as that can give you significant extra usable living space.
Also... be aware that a bed that changes into a seating area has to be made up on a daily basis. That can get old really quick, especially if you plan on living in the camper for extended periods.
X2 on this. More than a couple of days and I'd be quite irritated particularly if one person wants to get up and sit and the other wants to stay in bed.

woolsocks

X2 on this. More than a couple of days and I'd be quite irritated particularly if one person wants to get up and sit and the other wants to stay in bed.

Thanks Kerry. Above you mentioned taking at FG in 4x4 and swapping a cab from an FE onto it. To be honest I don’t do much mechanically, but at a high level it makes sense and I’m willing to learn. What would be involved? Know anyone who does this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
What would be involved?
Here in Australia these trucks are very common, so when it comes to doing things like swapping out a cab. more people would be aware of what's involved.
The same cannot be said for the US/Canada.

If you had strong mechanical skills and were doing the work yourself, this could be a viable option, but if not, paying someone to do the work could prove costly.
It should also be noted that a cab change needs to involve the authorities, as there will be a VIN change to the vehicle. You will end up with 2 VINs; one on the cab and one on the chassis.

BruceAndKrista

Just a thought - but… if you remove the passenger side bench seat and replace it (and likely the drivers seat at the same time) - there is a reasonable space left empty between them. Depending on how wide your “new” seats are - you may be able to fit what you need in a regular cab… Maybe worth looking to see if you can find some “extra narrow” car seats.

Alternately - you may find it’s possible to fit two car seats and a wife on the bench seat.
Just a thought.

eshel

Hi my plan is to do the same project with a canter in farnce and ship it ti America. What did you do in the end?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles