What's your favourite frying pan? Market Research

I saw these recently at REI:
06d04e4e-1cda-4f82-8674-9547ee762192.jpg

They also have an 8" and I assume they'd stack really nicely. If they also had a nesting 2L pot, that might be an interesting set.

EDIT: They do have a 2-pot set that is compatible with the handles, but likely not nesting all together. https://www.rei.com/product/214274/...cepan-set-with-removable-handle-17-and-33-qts
Green Pan skillets are highly rated, we’ve used them for years when we don’t want to deal with cast iron. As a travel skillet, this looks better than most.

Fishenough

Creeper
Filled out your survey, and I'd pay $110 Cdn for the right cookware.

If we are in the vehicle and food is so important for us, why not bring a cast iron frying pan and Dutch oven. Heck when we plan 3 to 7 day backcountry hikes we spend more time on menu planning than anything by far. The only items in kit that I've purchased purposed designed covers for is my cast iron.

How about a light weight frying pan better designed to fit a camp stove that I can still use sand to scrub? Something that will get well seasoned.

We have bought and returned a gsi Guide cast pan after it warped being heated on an msr whisperlite stove on a cool morning.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Sid Post

Observer
What I really need is a good pressure cooker for camping, not a repurposed household unit. It also needs to be lightweight overall but, scorch resistant on the bottom for harsh heat sources. The stainless India models are the closest I have found to meet this goal.

The good EU versions I have at home simply aren't good for traveling by car or foot.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
What I really need is a good pressure cooker for camping,
I have an old 'Skyline' aluminum 3 qt. pressure cooker (made by Prestige?) bought from REI in the early 70's. Went on many high altitude mountaineering trips; worth its weight. Works on an MSR X-GK, Pocket Rocket w/ support legs. Can still find some on e-bay. Getting harder to find parts.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Works on an MSR X-GK, Pocket Rocket w/ support legs.

These are great stoves for backpacking.
Nearly indestructible and will run on any type of fuel you have...even high octane booze!
Mine is still running as well...bought in the 1980's.

Cheers

Last edited:

Sid Post

Observer
My Optimus Polaris and Soto Muka are really good stoves. The Soto Windstopper is significantly nicer that the Snowpeak Iso-Butane versions I used exclusively previously.

If you are into canister stoves, get a Soto Winstopper. It really is the best one I have used by a significant margin. More wind resistant and a nice even broad flame for a Ti mug or cup.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I must be old fashion, but I've never been a fan of butane or propane...
It's white gas (or fuel from my rig) for the win in all temperature conditions. I've seen propane and butane stoves that won't ignite due to cold temps.

Given the choice, I'd prefer to cook over the camp fire...with my cast iron!
(Apologies for the high-jack...)
Cheers

Last edited:

Ragman

What I really need is a good pressure cooker for camping, not a repurposed household unit. It also needs to be lightweight overall but, scorch resistant on the bottom for harsh heat sources. The stainless India models are the closest I have found to meet this goal.

The good EU versions I have at home simply aren't good for traveling by car or foot.
GSI made two lightweight anodized aluminum pressure cookers that work very well. I have used them in a couple of my videos and am very happy with them. Not sure you can run them on ‘harsh’ heat source but most will scorch if the fire is too hot for too long. Perhaps a flame tamer would help if the burner is too hot.

it looks like they have just discontinued them but at this point the Trail Recon store still has them.

Last edited:

Ragman

Filled out your survey, and I'd pay $110 Cdn for the right cookware.

If we are in the vehicle and food is so important for us, why not bring a cast iron frying pan and Dutch oven. Heck when we plan 3 to 7 day backcountry hikes we spend more time on menu planning than anything by far. The only items in kit that I've purchased purposed designed covers for is my cast iron.

How about a light weight frying pan better designed to fit a camp stove that I can still use sand to scrub? Something that will get well seasoned.

We have bought and returned a gsi Guide cast pan after it warped being heated on an msr whisperlite stove on a cool morning.

Not sure your view of anodized aluminum but the Banks Fry~Bake pans can be scrubbed out with sand and are easy to clean .

Arclight

SAR guy
I mostly cook on a skottle, and I also arrived at this exact same solution for a spatula - restaurant-style turner with the edges ground round so that it won't scrape the cook surface. The other nice thing about these is that you can set it down on the cooking surface and the handle stays out of the heat.

I also got a metal spatula like this but used a grinder to round the edges to fit the skillets:
View attachment 768662

[edit]
Oh crap, I just found out what an ADV rider is.

Fishenough

Creeper
Not sure your view of anodized aluminum but the Banks Fry~Bake pans can be scrubbed out with sand and are easy to clean .

Not proven but i associate alzheimer's possibly be connected to aluminum cookware. Heard of fry-bake!

Kingsize24

10" cast iron on propane or open fire, both with or without lid, depending on what I'm cooking. It's WELL seasoned, and a water rinse is all that's needed. ?

Ragman

Not proven but i associate alzheimer's possibly be connected to aluminum cookware. Heard of fry-bake!

I am under the impression that was based on some faulty data, but no matter I think that once anodized the food never touches the bare aluminum. I only use one bare aluminum pan, the Woody Dutch Oven and have never rally worried about it since I don't use it that often, sort of like eating tuna and the whole mercury thing.

Sid Post

Observer

Aluminum itself is not a proven cause of Alzheimer's. Aluminum is associated as an observation with Alzeimer's but, it could just be a side-effect of the underlying cause and not the real issue. Association, sure but, cause not at this time.

Plastic-lined food cans and other issues in everyday life are probably more likely root causes but, I am not aware of any proof of the actual cause, just observations. We are likely to find something like early Teflon or "micro-plastics" are a larger factor but, that is just speculation today like Aluminum cans and cookware with Alzheimer's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles