Importing a Crew Cab Left Hand Drive Mitsubishi Fuso Canter 4x4

woolsocks

I’ve got a family of 4. Within a few years we’re planning to explore the USA and Canada nearly full time, then probably do the Pan American Highway.

Originally I was thinking of a RAM 3500 or F350 crew cab with a camper on the back, but I recently discovered the Japanese cab over trucks. I love the space efficient design, boxy shape, simplicity, visibility and turning radius.

Since I’ve got a family of 4 I believe I need a double cab, unless I can figure out a way to legal add seats inside a camper box, but my preference would be to keep the truck and camper as stand alone units.

I’ve thought of buying an Isuzu NPR and having a company covert it to 4x4 here in the USA like Ridge Rock or Core but I’m more of a fan of having it already 4x4 and the conversion costs seem pretty high like $45,000 for the truck and damn near that much or more for a conversion. Perhaps having a stock 4x4 instead of a conversion is a silly notion…

So, my thought is to find a 1999 (or older) Mitsubishi Fuso Canter Crew Cab with 4x4 and left hand drive and import it into the USA. Any thoughts on this? What countries and sources would have this vehicle? I’ve heard Portugal maybe? If we went this route we would rust treat the frame, rebuild/ refurbish it, full fluids flush, etc. swap out to super singles, new tires, new suspension, etc. I would imagine this would cost less upfront compared to a conversion and parts availability would be more readily available in other countries in North and South America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I would strongly recommend a single cab with seats in the back to maximise the living area for 4.
I have done this with our vehicle and I can not imagine the legalities in the USA are more difficult than in Oz.
The other trick is to have the double bed over the dining area at the rear on linear actuators and store it against the ceiling during the day. The canter cab is a bit too high to put the bed over the cab unless you also have a pop top over the bed.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

woolsocks

I would strongly recommend a single cab with seats in the back to maximise the living area for 4.
I have done this with our vehicle and I can not imagine the legalities in the USA are more difficult than in Oz.
The other trick is to have the double bed over the dining area at the rear on linear actuators and store it against the ceiling during the day. The canter cab is a bit too high to put the bed over the cab unless you also have a pop top over the bed.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Thanks for the tip! My thought was that a crew cab would result in more space in the back, less shuffling around chairs and what not…do you have any examples of the seats inside the box? I haven’t been able to find anything anywhere the last few days.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
DIY.
Only seats 2 here, could be longer for 4, but there are legal seat belts for use while travelling.
P1020936E.jpg
Here is a friend's Canter build. He comes here sometimes.
Seats can accommodate 6. They do not have seat belts, but could. Bed is above seats (which could be extra beds) and table.
2010-06-27 (epicycles.com)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

kerry

Expedition Leader
Chile apparently imported the Isuzu 4x4. Maybe find a crewcab there. Drive it home. Alternatively buy a single cab FG in the US, a used crewcab off an FE fro Busbees and swap cabs. Probably cheaper to swap cabs than to convert a 2wd to 4x4.

woolsocks

Chile apparently imported the Isuzu 4x4. Maybe find a crewcab there. Drive it home. Alternatively buy a single cab FG in the US, a used crewcab off an FE fro Busbees and swap cabs. Probably cheaper to swap cabs than to convert a 2wd to 4x4.

Thanks for the tip! I will check out Chile.

I’ve also thought why not just get an American pick up it would cruise great on the highway, have comfortable seating, have stock 4x4, etc.

Do you know any resources on how to swap a cab. I like that option.

Last edited:

woolsocks

I am looking to do a build with seats in the box as Peter suggested. Here is an Australian company that supplies seat options to give you an idea https://www.techsafeseating.com.au/special-seating
It will primarily just be the two of us so dont want to give away the space of a dual cab for the odd times we have tag along guests

Thanks for the info. What would be your plan as far as windows goes? Since we’ve got two young kids my preference would probably be a crew cab so we can fix their car seats in permanently, but I’m going to do a lot of research on the regular cab with seats in the back option.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Mounting car seats for kids does complicate seating requirements in Oz, but it may also provide other options.
We have an approved kid's car seat mounting on the top of the engine hatch in the cab. There might even be space there for 2? The size of the kids becomes important.
In any case, it is not the main seat that is important, but the mounting of the kid's car seat.
In Oz I would strongly recommend getting the assistance of an approved auto engineer. A good one will know of options that most people would not think of.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I'm working on a 4 door JDM Canter for a buddy of mine- its been converted to super singles and sitting on 37s. Its as cool as cats pajamas. But I will say the actual size of it is quite small. We are building out a composite box for it ( 9 long, 7 wide) . He is a family of 4 as well. Fitting sleeping and living in such a small space if proving to be a test in jenga design. His girls are little so for now we are coming up with hanging cots for the girls. When they are older he's going to toss a RTT on the cab. Ultimate tree house

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
What would be your plan as far as windows goes?
In Oz, if there is seating in the back during travel, the exhaust MUST end behind the rearmost opening window.
Hopper windows provide the best ventilation area Vs window area but can't remain open during travel, so sliding windows are the next best option for the rear seating.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Beardy

Thanks for the info. What would be your plan as far as windows goes? Since we’ve got two young kids my preference would probably be a crew cab so we can fix their car seats in permanently, but I’m going to do a lot of research on the regular cab with seats in the back option.

I was anticipating setting the seats up at the front of the box like this with a crawl through opening so you can still interact with the passengers.
Our seats wont be used that often, if you have young kids perhaps a dual cab is going to work better for you?

(I tried to attach some images but was unsuccessful and got a file too large message)

woolsocks

In Oz, if there is seating in the back during travel, the exhaust MUST end behind the rearmost opening window.
Hopper windows provide the best ventilation area Vs window area but can't remain open during travel, so sliding windows are the next best option for the rear seating.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

I’ll need to dig into the US laws. It probably varies by state here. I suppose RV manufacturers have dealt with this already here so I’ll check out that avenue

woolsocks

I'm working on a 4 door JDM Canter for a buddy of mine- its been converted to super singles and sitting on 37s. Its as cool as cats pajamas. But I will say the actual size of it is quite small. We are building out a composite box for it ( 9 long, 7 wide) . He is a family of 4 as well. Fitting sleeping and living in such a small space if proving to be a test in jenga design. His girls are little so for now we are coming up with hanging cots for the girls. When they are older he's going to toss a RTT on the cab. Ultimate tree house

Awesome! My kids are 3 and 1 so they won’t take up much space for a while.

I would love a crew cab with 35” super singles and a total composites box on the back. We’re designing a box about 12’ to 13’ long, 80” wide inside. Working front to back the plan is an east/ west front queen bed that converts to a dinette, a bathroom on the driver side with a small kitchen on the passenger side and rear east/west bunks at the back for the two kids with storage underneath and upper cabinet storage throughout. It’s certainly a game of Tetris!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Don't rule out using a bed lift, as that can give you significant extra usable living space.
Also... be aware that a bed that changes into a seating area has to be made up on a daily basis. That can get old really quick, especially if you plan on living in the camper for extended periods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior