Cerro Gordo Update 12-29-22

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey All

Just got back from our annual week in Death Valley trip and visited Cerro Gordo for the first time since the new owner (YouTuber Guy) took over.

Although the nieces had fun, i was pretty disappointed with the "Updates" and new approach to it in general.

I've been up there many times, and have spent hours and hours with Robert (the old caretaker) and his stories, knowledge, history, and passion for sharing it, are truly missed!

Robert no longer lives on the property due to health things, and has not been back in awhile.

The new owner basically met us at the entry point, told us a little info, unlocked some buildings, and then left. Many of the buildings are now inaccessible for unknown reasons, he didnt care to share.

The road up which used to occasionally require 4L was now completed graded, and a sedan could easily make it up.

The church/chapel, which is over 100 years old, had a disco ball, and random dolls all over the place.

I appreciate his attempt to restore it, since no one else has stepped up, but it used to be one of my favorite places, and i loved talking with Robert.

I have hope, some folks will step in to help him get it back to the old style someday.

Still worth a visit if you've never been, but if youv'e been and remember Roberts approach, that whole vibe is completely gone now.

sabjku

Observer
I visited Cerro Gordo for the first time back in June. It was definitely an interesting place, and a few of the caretakers there gave us some brief history, and told us to just walk around and let them know if we had any questions. Not very formal, but then again, I wasn't expecting much anyway.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I wonder about the road comment. First off, the county fixed the road twice after it completely was washed out,(1000 year flood) and how else could they transport 100 tons of matrials without a decent road? Brett knows a ton of history that Robert never knew, and Robert knew things that Brett will never know. Remeber, Brett is not a outgoing social person, you need get get to know him. Without Brett, This place would be gone.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I wonder about the road comment. First off, the county fixed the road twice after it completely was washed out,(1000 year flood) and how else could they transport 100 tons of matrials without a decent road? Brett knows a ton of history that Robert never knew, and Robert knew things that Brett will never know. Remeber, Brett is not a outgoing social person, you need get get to know him. Without Brett, This place would be gone.

The “American Hotel” has been standing 100+ years

New owner comes in, it almost immediately burns down.

Sorry, but anyone that doesn’t find that skeptical or due to gross incompetence lives in fantasy land.

Last edited:

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I agree with you on this.

I just wish he wasn’t destroying as much as he’s renovating
Well, I think if the hotel would not have burned down, it might be a little different. I like how it was also, but at the same time, its only sustainable if people can come enjoy it. The origanal hotel was amazing, and it was the only one of its kind. Its a lesson for all of us to go see what is left before its gone.

dierkz

Hope the new owner could get and take some good recommendations to make things around there as original as possible. My uncle is looking to get back there after about 3 years and he might be a little disappointed to see that disco ball at the church. He's just waiting for the new bed cover and headache racks to get installed this week and they will hit the road.

JayOtheMountains

I think Brent has a long-term vision to increase awareness and bring folks in that would otherwise not know about the place, region, or the vast history of the mineral exploration in the area. He saved a dying ghost town and is revitalizing it into something that will live on. The way I see it is: If you're interested in historical decay go see Bodie. If you want to see history be explored and documented and a town brought back into something unique while preserving the architecture then CG is worth a visit. He's found so much that was undiscovered in the past 3 years. The man is coming into his own and really knows the town and is gaining better depth every day.

Last edited:

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Sorry, but anyone that doesn’t find that skeptical or due to gross incompetence lives in fantasy land.

That is incredibly unfair. What would you have done differently? Yes, the 100 year old wiring coupled with newspaper insulation was a major fire hazard, but he hardly had the massive funds, time, and manpower required to replace it immediately, when he was just getting started with renovations during the beginning of a global pandemic.

What you are saying also makes no sense from a historical context. Yes, the American Hotel stood for over 100 years, but what of the hundreds of other buildings from the original mining town that burned down, or didn't make it for other reasons? I've heard there were over 500 buildings at one point, and only 20 now- that is an average loss of around 5 buildings per year!

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
That is incredibly unfair. What would you have done differently? Yes, the 100 year old wiring coupled with newspaper insulation was a major fire hazard, but he hardly had the massive funds, time, and manpower required to replace it immediately, when he was just getting started with renovations during the beginning of a global pandemic.

What you are saying also makes no sense from a historical context. Yes, the American Hotel stood for over 100 years, but what of the hundreds of other buildings from the original mining town that burned down, or didn't make it for other reasons? I've heard there were over 500 buildings at one point, and only 20 now- that is an average loss of around 5 buildings per year!

I'll 100% standby my statement.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
My family has a long history in Lone Pine and in the Owens Valley. My grandparents owned and operated a decent sized construction firm (Inyo Building,INC) and the only concrete batch plant in the valley (north west end of Lone Pine). Much of Olancha, Lone Pine, and even a good portion of Mammoth Lakes were built by them. It all went belly up in the 90’s when big business pushed into the area.

As I recall, my grandfather and some of his crew built the first radio towers up there. Growing up, I tagged along on trips up there to service/maintain them. This was in the 80’s, and a real 4wd pickup was needed to make it. In foul weather it was a no-go.

FordGuy1

Adventurer

Totally agree. That hotel could have burned down at any time, especially in the past 50 years. I feel lucky to even been able to spent the time I did in that hotel.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Did people who went up to Cerro Gordo recently make a tour reservation beforehand, or just show up? The website says to make a reservation, but I have been unable to contact them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior