where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Cayenne-958-TDI

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi all, I just posted my Touareg TDI expedition build: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/vw-touareg-v6-diesel-overland-build-thread.237782/

Interesting to me that the Cayenne seems to be getting popular as an expedition/offroad vehicle, but the Touareg version seems less common. I'm a big Porsche fan and daily drive a 986, and would have gone for a Cayenne if I could get a 955/957 diesel in the USA.

Sub'd!

I think perhaps the Cayenne is somewhat more popular as people want to go against the grain; "Overlanding a Porsche? How cool is that?" Vs "Overlanding a VW? Oh yeah, that reminds me of when I had this '67 bus and my buddies and I...." :)
Gearing for big tires is so much more favorable with the Treg.

PS--I hope you've replaced your 986's IMS at least once already.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Hopefully the dual row Pro!

Probably not, previous owner installed it and I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I did confirm it's in there when I replaced the clutch. I'm honestly not that worried about it- the IMS gets a lot of bad press but there are about half a dozen other design flaws in this engine equally as bad that are probably more likely than failure of an LN retrofit that will also destroy the engine: bore scoring, cylinder cracking, d-chunk failures, timing chain issues, AOS failure, water pump failure, overheating, oil starvation. I try not to think about all of that too much and just enjoy driving it ;)

Supposedly Eurowise is coming out with a roof rack for the 986, so I will do some light overlanding / car camping with it once I get that!

EEEZY PEEZY roof rack for 986:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
You're correct about timing chain (plastic tensioner rails) issues destroying even an IMS-upgraded M96...those plastic pieces can break and follow down the "belt conveyor" into the "bottom center" of engine and BAM, there goes a rod out the block. Seen it a few times (so, you need to pay attention to camshaft timing deviation via a scan tool, IIRC -10 to -11deg deviation is when the CEL will pop on for deviation and that's getting close to failure), haven't seen bore scoring or cyl cracking or oil starvation...AOS/WP/ all common and simpler fixes.

Interesting on the rack, wonder how many 986's want to overland theirs. Unique!

Back to Cayenne diesel....

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I created a community wiki where we can organize all of the key Cayenne/Q7/Touareg offroad tips and advice into one place. Please help me edit it and fill it in with anything useful.

VW Audi Porsche offroad wiki
http://vwaudiporscheoffroad.wikidot.com/

I started writing this as a sort of e-book on Touareg offroading for my own reference, that I could print out and keep with me in the vehicle while in remote places, where I won't be able to look anything up. In my view, the most important thing here is having a list of key VCDS tips that can be used to, for example, change a fuel filter in an emergency clogging situation.

Please link to peoples posts as the source when adding things other people wrote. I don't want to take credit for anyones contributions here, just put them all in one place so they can be found easily.

Cayenne-958-TDI

- I created a community wiki where we can organize all of the key Cayenne/Q7/Touareg offroad tips and advice into one place. Please help me edit it and fill it in with anything useful.
As I currently have way to many accounts to keep up with and would rather be outside on adventures myself, feel free to post this link:

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
As I currently have way to many accounts to keep up with and would rather be outside on adventures myself, feel free to post this link:

Added, but I also updated the site so people can edit without needing an account.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Hey guys! Two questions for you:

1) For those of you that carry a full sized spare, how do you deal with the uneven wear issue? I bought a set of 4 used KO2s, that are already 3-4mm shallower in tread (8-9mm) vs the brand new KO2 spare I have (12mm). Should I get my spare shaved down, or is this likely okay for emergency/temporary use to get home off a trail?

2) How do you guys mount a hi-lift jack? I carry a hi-lift and Lift-Mate to lift directly from the wheels, such that I can put my traction boards under the wheels, but I cannot thus far find a good safe place to store it other than inside the vehicle. I'm currently thinking about options to mount it to my hitch mounted spare tire carrier.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hey guys! Two questions for you:

1) For those of you that carry a full sized spare, how do you deal with the uneven wear issue? I bought a set of 4 used KO2s, that are already 3-4mm shallower in tread (8-9mm) vs the brand new KO2 spare I have (12mm). Should I get my spare shaved down, or is this likely okay for emergency/temporary use to get home off a trail?

2) How do you guys mount a hi-lift jack? I carry a hi-lift and Lift-Mate to lift directly from the wheels, such that I can put my traction boards under the wheels, but I cannot thus far find a good safe place to store it other than inside the vehicle. I'm currently thinking about options to mount it to my hitch mounted spare tire carrier.

Typically VAG specs state that a tire should be within ~3/32" of the other tires or else the ABS/ESP will get a bit cranky, so your new spare is a bit too tall especially as you wear down those crappy K02's (may I ask why you bought used K02's?). @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING just loves the idea of having a tire shaved, so he'd probably enjoy doing that for you on his tire lathe. :ROFLMAO:

Hitch mount is probably the best place for that big piece of iron. Glad to hear you're using a LiftMate. Be careful with the HiLift!

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
may I ask why you bought used K02's?

I'm not sure what your concern is about the K02s, but these already mounted were less than I could buy the wheels for anywhere else, bought from a guy that couldn't fit them over the brakes on his Cayenne. They're 17" wheels, which seem to be the best OEM Touareg wheel for offroad use for models with brakes small enough (e.g. not the V10). I don't like how the K02s sound or drive on pavement, but I usually swap out for street wheels and tires between offroad trips.

Hitch mount is probably the best place for that big piece of iron. Glad to hear you're using a LiftMate. Be careful with the HiLift!

Thanks, I can get a piece of angle iron welded to my spare tire carrier, and will mount it to the fixed base, so it doesn't need to add any weight to the swing.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I'm not sure what your concern is about the K02s, but these already mounted were less than I could buy the wheels for anywhere else, bought from a guy that couldn't fit them over the brakes on his Cayenne. They're 17" wheels, which seem to be the best OEM Touareg wheel for offroad use for models with brakes small enough (e.g. not the V10). I don't like how the K02s sound or drive on pavement, but I usually swap out for street wheels and tires between offroad trips.

Thanks, I can get a piece of angle iron welded to my spare tire carrier, and will mount it to the fixed base, so it doesn't need to add any weight to the swing.

K02's aren't a fave, and used K02's even less so. There are better tires out there than K02s now. But sounds like you already know some of their issues.

By iron I meant the HiLift is the heavy iron.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles