Heavy Duty Winch Recommendations - Please!

Vance Vanz

Not sure if you are okay going Aussie for your wenches. But Sherpa has a 12v 20K winch that works incredibly well in both cable and SYN line models. They are generally in stock, and ship free to the US.
Thanks Kingsize24. Someone had mentioned Sherpa to me in the past, but I hand't any direct experience with them. I also didn't know anyone who actually owned one/had used them in the field.

Kingsize24

Thanks Kingsize24. Someone had mentioned Sherpa to me in the past, but I hand't any direct experience with them. I also didn't know anyone who actually owned one/had used them in the field.

I have a Warn 16.5 on the front and a Sherpa 20k in the rear. Both work, and both have been used the same amount of time. No issues for yrs now. ?‍♂️ IMO if they honor the warranty if ever needed, and keeps me from being stranded, I'm fine with them. Especially when the 16.5's will be MIA a while. I wouldn't stress using one at all. JMHO.

Vance Vanz

I have a Warn 16.5 on the front and a Sherpa 20k in the rear. Both work, and both have been used the same amount of time. No issues for yrs now. ?‍♂️ IMO if they honor the warranty if ever needed, and keeps me from being stranded, I'm fine with them. Especially when the 16.5's will be MIA a while. I wouldn't stress using one at all. JMHO.
Thanks for taking the time to circle back around and provide some more input/info.

Vance Vanz

Thanks for taking the time to circle back around and provide some more input/info.
I also took the time to read your build thread. I like your black on white color scheme. Mine will be similar, but a Ford and I won't be ditching all of the chrome. I still have a ways to go until I get to the finished details though; I'm buried in building the carbon fiber camper shell.

Vance Vanz

If you order today... is 6-7 months a deal breaker..... I use my winch once a year.
Yah billiebob, 6-7 months is too long. I'm taking off this fall and will be traveling for about 2 years through Mexico, and Central/South America. I have to get everything sorted and finalized in the next few months.

2 bikes 2 brown dogs

I just came across your build. Awesome, man! I dont know where to start, or stop, with the compliments.
In binge reading that I came across this and your troubles finding a winch. Hopefully that is way in your rear view.
I had similar problems earlier in the year. All the retailers were telling me the same, 6 months best case. Oddly enough 4Wheelparts showed 1 in their system. I'm good at chasing wild geese but low and behold it wasn't an inventory error. Had it in the garage a week later.
It is probably of little help now but they show them in stock.
Take it light!

Vance Vanz

I just came across your build. Awesome, man! I dont know where to start, or stop, with the compliments.
In binge reading that I came across this and your troubles finding a winch. Hopefully that is way in your rear view.
I had similar problems earlier in the year. All the retailers were telling me the same, 6 months best case. Oddly enough 4Wheelparts showed 1 in their system. I'm good at chasing wild geese but low and behold it wasn't an inventory error. Had it in the garage a week later.
It is probably of little help now but they show them in stock.
Take it light!
Thank you so much for the compliment related to the build ?. I'm working my butt off and getting there slowly but surely!

Thanks for taking the time to post on this thread. You are right, it seems everyone has the Warn 16.5TI-S back in stock. FINALY, it only took them 15 months.

I actually put winches on the way back burner and didn't buy them yet. I wasn't in any rush since the build is taking longer than expected and the truck also fits better in the shop without the front and rear bumpers on.

I guess I'm going to have to go ahead and spend about five and a half grand now. Thanks for the good and bad news ;)?.

andy_b

Thanks for the input I Leak Oil.

Unfortunately a PTO or hydraulic winch are not options for my rig/build.

It seems like Husky-Superwinch/Ramsey, Warn, etc. in the 10-12K pull capacity are what several people are recommending. Would you, or anyone else, mind elaborating on why an electric winch over a 10-12K rating may not be a good option? You had mentioned you would be leery over this rating for an electric winch.

The SMITTYBILT X20 GEN2 17.5K - 97517 or COMEUP Seal Gen2 16.5rs or 20.0rs could be options for electric winches with higher pull capacities. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something.

Is it just primarily a matter of the additional power needed for these higher pull capacity electric winches? I will have a 810ah lithium battery bank for the house side of the build and was planning on powering the winches from this battery bank as opposed to the truck-like many other expedition builds have done.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing what you/others think.

I second Metcalf's suggestion for a Superwinch due to their external brake.

Regarding LiFePo batteries running the winch - they certainly have the capacity, but make sure that the BMS supports the kind of amperage your winch is going to pull. Most are rated to 100-150 amps; in parallel wiring arrangements, this can boost (double or quadruple depending upon how big you're going) your amperage but still will be below what most winches will pull, especially in the size of winch you're considering.

If you're building your own batteries, Current Connected sells a 500 amp rated BMS that would meet your needs.

Apologies if these considerations had already been considered ;)

Vance Vanz

I second Metcalf's suggestion for a Superwinch due to their external brake.

Regarding LiFePo batteries running the winch - they certainly have the capacity, but make sure that the BMS supports the kind of amperage your winch is going to pull. Most are rated to 100-150 amps; in parallel wiring arrangements, this can boost (double or quadruple depending upon how big you're going) your amperage but still will be below what most winches will pull, especially in the size of winch you're considering.

If you're building your own batteries, Current Connected sells a 500 amp rated BMS that would meet your needs.

Apologies if these considerations had already been considered ;)
Sorry for the late reply Andy; Ive been buried in my build.

Thanks for the input related to a winch.

My batteries are 270ah Battleborn x 3 wired in parallel = 810ah, and they have internal BMS's. When I get closer to the electrical install part of the build, I will make sure to check if there are any issues with the power system (components) drawing 500amps from a winch.

No time to be building my own batteries, my build is already kicking my butt enough ;)?.

andy_b

Sorry for the late reply Andy; Ive been buried in my build.

Thanks for the input related to a winch.

My batteries are 270ah Battleborn x 3 wired in parallel = 810ah, and they have internal BMS's. When I get closer to the electrical install part of the build, I will make sure to check if there are any issues with the power system (components) drawing 500amps from a winch.

No time to be building my own batteries, my build is already kicking my butt enough ;)?.

I get being buried in a build, no need to apologize. I only shared as an FYI, the main point of which is that most BMS's limit the discharge capacity of the batteries and that that current is usually not the same as the total capacity. This is why these battery chemistries aren't usually used as starter or winch batteries.

From the Battleborn site:
Our Battery Monitoring System, or BMS is rated to 3 different levels.
  1. 100 amps continuous (1200 watts at 12 volts) – this means you can pull 100 amps out of the battery when you need it until the capacity is all used up.
  2. 200 amps for 30 seconds (2400 watts at 12 volts) – if your device has a surge an individual battery can deliver 2400 watts for 30 seconds.
  3. ½ second surge up to the max capacity of the battery. If you have a high momentary over 200 amps the battery will handle this for ½ second.

Based on how you're wiring them, that should be good for 600A for 30s. I would think that would be ok depending on the scenario. A Warn 16.5Ti pulls 507A at its maximum pull. Regardless, in order to protect the warranty, I'd double check with them explicitly. Your build is going to be epic!

Vance Vanz

I get being buried in a build, no need to apologize. I only shared as an FYI, the main point of which is that most BMS's limit the discharge capacity of the batteries and that that current is usually not the same as the total capacity. This is why these battery chemistries aren't usually used as starter or winch batteries.

From the Battleborn site:

Based on how you're wiring them, that should be good for 600A for 30s. I would think that would be ok depending on the scenario. A Warn 16.5Ti pulls 507A at its maximum pull. Regardless, in order to protect the warranty, I'd double check with them explicitly. Your build is going to be epic!
Thanks so much for mentioning this and for digging into the details Andy. I will definitely check with Battleborn directly and see what they have to say. So many details to consider........., gotta love it, or maybe hate it ?.

As much time as the build is taking me, it better be epic.

Thanks again.

andy_b

Thanks so much for mentioning this and for digging into the details Andy. I will definitely check with Battleborn directly and see what they have to say. So many details to consider........., gotta love it, or maybe hate it ?.

As much time as the build is taking me, it better be epic.

Thanks again.

It will be amazing for sure. It will be interesting to hear what Battleborn says because being able to use a camper's house batteries for this application would be pretty cool for obvious reasons. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles