INEOS Grenadier

zimm

Expedition Leader
no it wasn't
[/QUOTE

the c6 was designed for torque in trucks and tractors. if a ford engine bolted to a c6, it was intended originally for trucks. want a junkyard c6? dont be wandering around the ford granadas.

nickw

Adventurer
They are kinda designed for it too.
Exactly - this is what I think Ineos should address, maintenance....I'm sure they've thought through this? I'd hope the independent dealers are prepared to drop engines or pull sheet metal to work on the engines as needed, but I have my doubts.

85_Ranger4x4

Exactly - this is what I think Ineos should address, maintenance....I'm sure they've thought through this? I'd hope the independent dealers are prepared to drop engines or pull sheet metal to work on the engines as needed, but I have my doubts.

They had better, nobody else will want to touch it until they go mainstream... which is extremely unlikely.

I work at a CDJR dealer. We pass on offbreed stuff all the time if we feel it is too deep for us and will point you to the appropriate dealer.

lucilius

Decent short EXPO "detailed walk around" video but it skipped any discussion of range/fuel capacity. Using the "search" on this site I managed to find that the Grenadier has a 23-24 gallon gas tank (which would equate to 300-350mi loaded range on pavement?) and that the company may work with another mfr like LRA to offer an aux tank. IMO one of the top three reasons gas engine is undesirable for motorized camping is limited range and the industry's unwillingness/inability to offer larger gas tank standard or as an option is unfortunate. Hopefully Ineos will do this. Does anyone know of a North American company that manufactures well-made aux tanks for gas vehicles? I've found a couple custom outfits but tough to find any reviews on performance, quality, etc.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
That's a very good point about tank capacity and range. Has anyone seen any kind of pricing, yet, by chance? Kind of liking the idea of a LS engine swap or even a R2.8 Cummins, but i digress; wondering if there will be these coming off lease in a few years for hopefully something more reasonable.

ChasingOurTrunks

Decent short EXPO "detailed walk around" video but it skipped any discussion of range/fuel capacity. Using the "search" on this site I managed to find that the Grenadier has a 23-24 gallon gas tank (which would equate to 300-350mi loaded range on pavement?) and that the company may work with another mfr like LRA to offer an aux tank. IMO one of the top three reasons gas engine is undesirable for motorized camping is limited range and the industry's unwillingness/inability to offer larger gas tank standard or as an option is unfortunate. Hopefully Ineos will do this. Does anyone know of a North American company that manufactures well-made aux tanks for gas vehicles? I've found a couple custom outfits but tough to find any reviews on performance, quality, etc.

Long Range America (that might be who you meant by LRA) and Titan Tanks are both US-based large tank manufacturers.

For me it's a bit of a coin flip in North America for Jerry Cans vs larger tanks in my opinion. A larger tank is a constant weight that is always with you, on a continent where even in the most remote areas you are rarely more than 300 kms from a gas station. So, the extra range is something that is rarely needed, and the Grenadier has enough payload (and roof capacity) to toss a couple of jerry cans up there for the rare time when more fuel is required. That might be a more desirable option for a lot of people over a permanently mounted alternative tank.

That's a very good point about tank capacity and range. Has anyone seen any kind of pricing, yet, by chance? Kind of liking the idea of a LS engine swap or even a R2.8 Cummins, but i digress; wondering if there will be these coming off lease in a few years for hopefully something more reasonable.

No prices for NA yet, but they do have them for other regions (Europe and Australia). But, Gregg Clark was on video a few months back (or perhaps quoted in an article, I don't recall) where he said "you'd be hard pressed to get over $100k" when ordering a Grenadier. But who knows how much lower than that it will be. I have sticker shock every time I think about the price of this thing so I try to compare it to what other rigs are closest on the market. On specs, the only one that comes close is the New Defender which is at a higher price point once you start building it out. On general use, the Jeeps are the next closes on the North American market, and for payload the Gladiator is the best option (but that will cost you ~$80k here). So, if the Grenadier in basic form can come in at around 70-90k, I think it will be competitive with the rest of the market....but still twice as much as I'd like it to cost!

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
No prices for NA yet, but they do have them for other regions (Europe and Australia). But, Gregg Clark was on video a few months back (or perhaps quoted in an article, I don't recall) where he said "you'd be hard pressed to get over $100k" when ordering a Grenadier. But who knows how much lower than that it will be. I have sticker shock every time I think about the price of this thing so I try to compare it to what other rigs are closest on the market. On specs, the only one that comes close is the New Defender which is at a higher price point once you start building it out. On general use, the Jeeps are the next closes on the North American market, and for payload the Gladiator is the best option (but that will cost you ~$80k here). So, if the Grenadier in basic form can come in at around 70-90k, I think it will be competitive with the rest of the market....but still twice as much as I'd like it to cost!

Many thanks for your thoughtful reply :)

nickw

Adventurer
You'd need a new transmission if you plan on swapping in a LS, the trans is designed for a max of 370 ft/lbs.

nickw

Adventurer
Transfer Flow offers gas fuel tanks for Ford 7.3's....

SkiWill

Long Range America (that might be who you meant by LRA) and Titan Tanks are both US-based large tank manufacturers.

Long Range America is an importer of Australian tanks, or at least they were 18 months ago. If they have started North American production, that would be news to me. In my experience looking for an LR4 tank, Long Range America was importing diesel tanks from Australia and those in the Land Rover community that purchased the tanks said that not a single fitting matched or lined up to the North America spec LR4s so a fair bit of fabrication and adjustment was required. A few that had competent installers were still happy with the outcome. I'm hoping that with the Grenadier, there will not be variation on the petrol spec between North American and ROW so that any aftermarket tanks will work without too much fuss.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Long Range America is an importer of Australian tanks, or at least they were 18 months ago. If they have started North American production, that would be news to me. In my experience looking for an LR4 tank, Long Range America was importing diesel tanks from Australia and those in the Land Rover community that purchased the tanks said that not a single fitting matched or lined up to the North America spec LR4s so a fair bit of fabrication and adjustment was required. A few that had competent installers were still happy with the outcome. I'm hoping that with the Grenadier, there will not be variation on the petrol spec between North American and ROW so that any aftermarket tanks will work without too much fuss.

Add S&B to the American fuel tank manufacturers (diesel only though), and damn great quality/service.

Not surprised in regards to LRA. Having had their Sprinter tank "kit" splayed out and pro technicians trying to install it, it was a total joke of a kit, and no technical help at all from LRA-USA in regards to the installation puzzles (they straight up said we were on our own). S&B on the other hand is straightforward, proper instructions including video and no headaches.

Hoping the Grenadier comes with a tank larger than 25gal.

Last edited:

2.ooohhh

Patiently awaiting the US prices in the configurator. Cannot wait to see if I can build one in my price range. Everything I've seen on the grenadier seems to indicate it may be what I've been looking for something that can actually compete cost vs work wise with completely restoring and rebuilding my current D1 to very similar specs.

ChasingOurTrunks

Thanks Will; I didn't know that but always glad to learn more! I came across them a couple of years ago when I was looking for long range tank for my GM Canyon but didn't pursue it further. Interesting to learn how different the LR4 is worldwide by the sounds of it.

I agree with you on the variation - my understanding from Ineos is that the petrol Grenadier you purchase in California will be a part number-for-part number copy of the one you can buy in Capetown or Ulanbataar. The Diesel may be able to drop the Ad-Blue/DEF systems (like JLR did with the New Defender for South Africa) but I'm not sure - everything they've said out loud is that they want the same platform worldwide.

Grassland

There is no way this won't be pushing 100k CAD and there will giant swaths of Canada with no authorized or clued in service centers for many thousands of KM.
I'll check into Ineos in 5 more years and see how they come along

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles