where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Scramblin_Jim

(Sorry if this is a repeated topic; I didn't recall seeing such from my past reading thru this thread)
Looking into a receiver hitch swing-out tire carrier, but with this setup the factory rearview camera video image is blocked. Seems to be several options available to solve this problem so I am looking for input/thoughts on pros/cons to making a usable viewing system with both the tire carrier installed and without it (back to stock).

One solution might be to add another camera and not mess with the installed wiring/setup for the existing camera and inputs to the PCM (radio head unit). One could use a wireless system but this requires a monitor mounted somewhere on the dash. It would require either a dedicated switched power for turning on the camera (making it a rearview system) or somehow connecting to the rear backup light signal for the backup lights (making it a backup camera system). I don't prefer this setup and really don't want to mess up the CAN bus signals by tapping into the lights wiring circuits. I also don't like having a dedicated monitor for the video.

Another solution might be to tap off the video signal input to the PCM and run a video cable to a new camera. I believe this would have to be switched video, to view either the original camera video or the new camera video. Does anyone know what the video input plugs on the back of the PCM are; zero, 1 or 2 inputs for video?

And yet another option is to use an "adapter" from Crutchfield to plug into the "head units" wiring. It's expensive at $400 and requires a specific PCM unit and software to make it work (I haven't yet researched which I have). It still requires adding your own camera and the challenges of wiring it to turn the camera on.

I would be great to add other camera view angles as well. Has anyone ventured into this video stuff?

Cayenne-958-TDI

Get a Garmin GPS and Garmin wireless camera. You can mount the Garmin camera just about anywhere.
Good suggestion, especially if / when our off-road camp trailer arrives. Would be nice if three would play nice together:
one in front of the car
one in back to help hitching up
one behind the trailer.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Good suggestion, especially if / when our off-road camp trailer arrives. Would be nice if three would play nice together:
one in front of the car
one in back to help hitching up
one behind the trailer.

I do not feel I have a need for a trailer camera. I have a ground guide, my wife.

What camper are you getting?

Cayenne-958-TDI

I do not feel I have a need for a trailer camera. I have a ground guide, my wife.
What camper are you getting?
We have an Overkill being built. Have taken one out on several trips over different terrain - fits our needs perfectly. While ours will be configured differently - have seen ours with our build sheet attached being finished.
We also can spot for each other however in inclement wx a camera would be nice.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
We have an Overkill being built. Have taken one out on several trips over different terrain - fits our needs perfectly. While ours will be configured differently - have seen ours with our build sheet attached being finished.
We also can spot for each other however in inclement wx a camera would be nice.

Nice I had looked at Overkill but went with Mission Overland. The major advantage for me was a Mission Overland was available without any waiting.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
For anyone looking, this seems to be the cleanest well kept older one i have come across in my searches.

If it wasnt this color, it would be sitting in my driveway! :p

No affiliation etc:

Last edited:

Scramblin_Jim

7-pin towing plug now working??? This has me scratch'n my head. . .

I have a 2015 Diesel Cayenne which I purchased from the dealership. As part of the deal I had them install the towing hitch and wiring. For several years I have now been using the supplied 7-pin to 4-pin flat connector converter in the 7-pin connector on the vehicle. I use it on two different utility trailers with 4-pin wiring. They both work perfectly fine.

I now am upgrading my M416 trailer from the 4-pin wiring to 7-pin so I can take advantage of the Auxiliary battery supply and reverse lighting features the 7-pin has.

I added a breakout box for this wiring to the trailer to make connecting to the trailer's wiring easy. The box comes prewired with the 7-pin cable and plug. I did a continuity check of the wiring to verify connectivity and all functions (turn signals, stop, marker) work. However when I connect the 7-pin plug to the vehicle I don't get anything! Connecting to the same terminals within the junction box I ran a 4-pin wiring using the 7-pin to 4-pin converter plug I have alway used everything works OK.

I did find that there is an interface box in the right rear inside luggage compartment that seems to be the interface with the vehicles wiring and the trailer wiring. Is this some how causing my problem? Furthermore, I did try to measure operating voltages as the various functions were turned on expecting to see voltage at the applicable pins of the vehicle's connector. I see NOTHING!!!

What am I missing???

Scramblin_Jim

Get a Garmin GPS and Garmin wireless camera. You can mount the Garmin camera just about anywhere.

View attachment 751505View attachment 751506
I have an Auto-Vox wireless system I installed on my Boxster. It too mounts to the license plate area. It is a two channel unit so I also I have second on installed at the front. Both cameras have adequate resolution but I would have preferred higher resolution. I mounted my display to my front dash area with a magnetic cell phone mount. What I don't like about this setup is the camera only automatically comes on when I start up the car. It times out after about a minute. If you want to enable the camera other than at startup you can depress a button on the display to trigger the camera for another power on cycle. The cameras need charged via USB every few months depending on usage. Not the cleanest setup but I avoid connecting to the cars reverse wiring circuits and disrupting the cars electrical CAN buss systems.

I was debating on going with a Garmin GPS for navigation which then would allow using cameras. Wireless???

Jeep owners have some very slick 4 camera systems which maybe can be adapted for my use . . .

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
7-pin towing plug now working??? This has me scratch'n my head. . .

I have a 2015 Diesel Cayenne which I purchased from the dealership. As part of the deal I had them install the towing hitch and wiring. For several years I have now been using the supplied 7-pin to 4-pin flat connector converter in the 7-pin connector on the vehicle. I use it on two different utility trailers with 4-pin wiring. They both work perfectly fine.

I now am upgrading my M416 trailer from the 4-pin wiring to 7-pin so I can take advantage of the Auxiliary battery supply and reverse lighting features the 7-pin has.

I added a breakout box for this wiring to the trailer to make connecting to the trailer's wiring easy. The box comes prewired with the 7-pin cable and plug. I did a continuity check of the wiring to verify connectivity and all functions (turn signals, stop, marker) work. However when I connect the 7-pin plug to the vehicle I don't get anything! Connecting to the same terminals within the junction box I ran a 4-pin wiring using the 7-pin to 4-pin converter plug I have alway used everything works OK.

I did find that there is an interface box in the right rear inside luggage compartment that seems to be the interface with the vehicles wiring and the trailer wiring. Is this some how causing my problem? Furthermore, I did try to measure operating voltages as the various functions were turned on expecting to see voltage at the applicable pins of the vehicle's connector. I see NOTHING!!!

What am I missing???

First thing the 12 volt wire in the 7 pin will not charge a battery. You would have to wire a separate circuit to charge an aux battery.

Are the trailer lights on the M416 LED lights? The Plug needs to see resistance to register voltage. You can get a tester plug.

1675371878540.png

Scramblin_Jim

First thing the 12 volt wire in the 7 pin will not charge a battery. You would have to wire a separate circuit to charge an aux battery.

Are the trailer lights on the M416 LED lights? The Plug needs to see resistance to register voltage. You can get a tester plug.

View attachment 763843
Turns out the cable/plug coming from the breakout box didn't have the same wire color assignments as with wiring harness and to top that off I confused the trailer end of the plug with the vehicle end; thus it wasn't working even though I thought I had checked the wiring. My bad!

Once I rewired everywhere and soldered each ring terminal (instead of relying on the crimp which several terminal came off as I was disassembling) I had success.

I will have to get one of those tester plugs. I figured it was probably a resistance thing causing the non-reading at the empty plug. Thanks for confirming that.

How much current shall the Batt (12VDC) line to the trailer handle?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Turns out the cable/plug coming from the breakout box didn't have the same wire color assignments as with wiring harness and to top that off I confused the trailer end of the plug with the vehicle end; thus it wasn't working even though I thought I had checked the wiring. My bad!

Once I rewired everywhere and soldered each ring terminal (instead of relying on the crimp which several terminal came off as I was disassembling) I had success.

I will have to get one of those tester plugs. I figured it was probably a resistance thing causing the non-reading at the empty plug. Thanks for confirming that.

How much current shall the Batt (12VDC) line to the trailer handle?
You want the trailer battery to get a full charge from the battery. Your best bet would be a DC to DC charger.

I've had luck with this charger on past trailers of mine. 10 ga wire is fine.

Last edited:

mountaincayenne

Our 05 955TT is out playing in the Cascades...

KUC00043.JPG

Fun expo platform for sure. Wish there was more space to sleep in the back (have a roof tent and ground tent when needed). Great seat warmers. Can get into and out of just about anything. Looking at adding a lithium aux battery next to run an electric blanket for winter camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles