1124 AF Double Cab

Toby3

Thanks all on the water system advice, working my way through the Unicat video

On a different note, previously looked at replacing front seats with suspension seats but have been holding off on that stuff until we got the cabin on and got it on the weighbridget to see what we had to play with. Tha'ts all looking good so back look at front seats. Had previously looked at mechanical suspension ones mainly for less complexity than air but has anyone fitted air suspension front seats? Trying to figure out what can work

Neil

Observer
Hi Toby

We have ISRI mechanical seats. I would be surprised if they weigh less or are simpler than the air ride equivalent. If I take out the seat cushion the box below is absolutely crammed with Springs, Dampers and metal supports etc. They weigh a ton ( figure of speech) .

However, we have thrashed them and they have been faultless .

Neil

Joe917

Explorer
I had an ISRI air seat that failed after about 25 years (all the plastic bits were super brittle).
I capped the air hose and used it for the next 150000km, did not miss the seat suspension one bit. I am not a fan of air seats.

Toby3

Hi Toby

We have ISRI mechanical seats. I would be surprised if they weigh less or are simpler than the air ride equivalent. If I take out the seat cushion the box below is absolutely crammed with Springs, Dampers and metal supports etc. They weigh a ton ( figure of speech) .

However, we have thrashed them and they have been faultless .

Neil
Hi Neil, cool thank you. The weight bit was at the moment I just have basic non suspension seats so guessing both mechanical and / or air would be heavier than what I've currently got. When I previously looked at it, I was going with the advice I think from the "build your own Overland camper" book which I think suggested mechanical for reliability but just re looking at it now I'm at the point of being able to do something

Toby3

I had an ISRI air seat that failed after about 25 years (all the plastic bits were super brittle).
I capped the air hose and used it for the next 150000km, did not miss the seat suspension one bit. I am not a fan of air seats.
Hi Joe, why are you not a fan of air seats? Is your point about not missing seat suspension at all or specific to air suspension?

Joe917

Explorer
Hi Joe, why are you not a fan of air seats? Is your point about not missing seat suspension at all or specific to air suspension?
I find with air seats they are always "chasing" me. I like to move in the seat and the pressure is always constant with an air seat. Our truck (MB917AF) soaked up most bad bumps petty well. If you need an air seat I think you are driving too fast. YMMV

Toby3

Hi, has been a busy summer. Whilst truck continues to be built, had 6 weeks back over in Aus and NZ so touring in a pick up rather than the truck but was awesome to be back in the Northern Territory. Went from Darwin to Cairns along the Savannah way, up on Lorella Springs and Seven Emu Station. Lorella is 1 million acres, incredible place and good day out with a bush pilot in the helicopter
Aus trip 2.jpgAus trip 1.jpgAus trip 3.jpg

Last edited:

Toby3

Truck has been progressing well and is due to leave Atkinson Vos after 22 months next week to go for electrics, plumbing and fit out. AV have been working to get everything complete so now
1) Low gear box finally works, mine is 2 wheel drive in high gear and engages 4 and low gear on the switch according to all the testing in the workshop
2) Higher speed diff crown and pinions installed
3) Large roof rack now in place including small crane to be able to carry the 4 kayaks
4) Snorkel and breathers all done
5) rear recovery and tow bar system all done
6) Motorcycle loading system installed in the back garage
7) indicators and marker lights getting installed this week
8) bunk bed system all installed and working
9) Fresh water tanks installed under seating frames
10) Air seats installed for Driver and front passenger Truck roof rack.jpgtruck bunk beds 2.jpgtruck stairs.jpgtruck bunk beds 1.jpg

Toby3

stairs have been designed so they can be attached to a pull out platform by the cabin door and also to the back doors of the main cab. This is so the dogs can get in and out of the cabin and the double cab without having to lift them each time. Seems to work pretty well but looking forward to being able to get out and properly test the different parts of the build

Toby3

Hi, has anyone got any fairly recent experience of going through change of us to a motor caravan in the UK. We are currently registered as a fire engine. I've read the list of requirements for external and internal. The only concern at the moment is the DVLA appear to have a list of pre classifications and says you have to be currently registered as one of those to be able to change and fire engine doesn't appear to be on the list. Is it just DVLA that you need to apply to or do you have to do anything with other bodies like DVSA etc. Thanks for this.

Wazak

Good luck with your quest, the DVLA doesn't seem to know or care which vehicles are on their so called list of approved vehicles.
You could always go down the route of SVA but that could give you more grief than enough. Brian Reynolds did that with a Leyland Daf T244 that he converted, He's over on another forum.

Neil

Observer
Under no circumstances go down the SVA route to Motor Caravan, it will fail and be a whole world of grief.
It is not easy getting a truck like yours registered as a motor caravan.

Submit a change of use and test the water, see if they let you know where you need to change things.

Even with Van conversions it is common to have 3 or 4 applications

Use evidence such as photos of other similar vehicles .

Good luck Toby

Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles