HJ Pickup to Expedition Vehicle

Strider

Observer
I suspect you didn't buy that for a song. It's really nice for being 43 years old. It isn't something to run the Baja with, at least not the race.

I'd be careful about adding stuff, like a turbo, larger wheels, tires, etc. Tossing a light weight camper or rigging for camping is fine and something that thing was built for.

Keep it looking like that and in a few years, you might pull a float in a parade.

My suggestion is to leave it in good original condition, keep maintenance records, use it and the value will likely increase.

That should do everything you need to do to go camping off road just as it sits. It's cool as is!
Might toss some carpet/sound deadener on the floor for the noise, hang your CB but nothing that screws it up.

If you have dreams of going mudding or rock crawling, don't put that vehicle in those dreams, go get an old POC that doesn't matter. Just IMO!

Howdy! And thanks for your input. I agree.
I like "overlanding", the adventure of getting somewhere. Not a fan of rock crawling and extreme trails.
Largest tires I'd probably go are 33s. Pizza Cutters. I will eventually do an OME suspension, add power steering, add a locker at least to the rear, add an auxiliary fuel tank, stuff like that. Nothing to chop it up. Even thinking of an extension to the cab, I would either buy one aftermarket, or use a junked one, and keep the original as is. But honestly, for that I would just look for an old beater, or build one from an aftermarket frame.

Will eventually paint it, pretty sure. Either the olive green or the desert tan. But not sure yet.

Ofcourse, a zebra scheme is tempting, as I had two Jeeps painted like that long ago. But maybe instead of white/black, something like desert tan/coyote brown.

My old 1980 CJ7 zebra Jeep.
InZebra.jpg
ZebraRun.jpg

My 1997 Jeep TJ zebra
BeachJ6.jpg
BeachJeep4.jpg

Later on I did some more mods and painted it desert tan...

IMG_20120313_105152.jpg
I don't like big giant tires and extreme lifts. I far prefer mods that change as little as possible and make the vehicle more capable while maintaining reliability.

Anyway...

The turbo is something I have thought about, but only if I can find out for sure that it won't mess up that engine. I would only want a turbo for some extra power going up inclines, etc. not for doing crazy stuff. But not sure how true it is that it needs one. People keep saying its "slow" and I don't doubt that, but I'm wondering based on what? Seems many see "slow" as anything under 70mph, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't mind taking back roads, as I prefer taking it easy and stopping to enjoy the scenery, have lunch, etc. Only real way to tell is to drive it, and that won't be until the summer.

I don't know anything yet about those engines, so I need to get informed. Actually would like to take a class, if one exists, on working on that diesel. The biggest buying point for me was the diesel engine in such a simple, mechanical form.

And thanks, to y'all! This is great stuff to know and learn!

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
Thanks!
Is there a turbo for that engine? Can it handle a turbo? I'll look it up, but do you have experience with that?

I don't have experience with a turbo 3B, just non turbo. Everything I've read on IH8MUD suggests that the 3B is practically built for a turbo and can handle it better than most engines. IMO, that would be the single biggest upgrade for your truck, if done properly, after power steering.
Although I'm a go slow type of guy myself, this engine could be the lowest HP unit ever offered in a LC. Fine for just tooling around town or as a work truck, but on the highway in the lower 48 states? Not for me. I guess you will figure out soon enough if it is for you.
Otherwise I would agree with others who say leave it alone, don't mess much with it such as big lift and over sized tires.

Strider

Observer
I don't have experience with a turbo 3B, just non turbo. Everything I've read on IH8MUD suggests that the 3B is practically built for a turbo and can handle it better than most engines. IMO, that would be the single biggest upgrade for your truck, if done properly, after power steering.
Although I'm a go slow type of guy myself, this engine could be the lowest HP unit ever offered in a LC. Fine for just tooling around town or as a work truck, but on the highway in the lower 48 states? Not for me. I guess you will figure out soon enough if it is for you.
Otherwise I would agree with others who say leave it alone, don't mess much with it such as big lift and over sized tires.

Good to know. Thank you!
If the engine can indeed handle the turbo, I may just do that.
And agreed: H to the No on big lift and oversized tires. I am a fan of OME with a 3" suspension upgrade and maybe up to 33" pizza cutters.

I think my biggest worry is the single cab. Would be nice to have a space behind for the two dogs, photography gear, or other gear. IF I decide I want a bigger cab, I will get a junked one and modify it, or buy an aftermarket one. THere's a company that makes them with extra space in the back. I guess I'd store the original cab then. We will see.

Strider

Observer
So I am looking for a way to reduce RPMs and also be able to drive faster than 50mph. Either some kind of overdrive unit or a five speed transmission?

To restate: It's a 1980 BJ45 pickup truck. Still waiting for more info it, but I know it has a straight six diesel engine.

I plan on driving the vehicle from Florida to Arizona in the summer. I may have to strictly take back roads and a good week to do it, but that's OK as an adventure I can film. But I would like to increase the drive-ability eventually (hence also will be getting power steering).

I have heard that swapping in a 5 speed is good too, but don't want to loose the low end gearing. Have also heard the 5 speed has the same 1st gear, maybe second. ???
I may have a 5 speed and t-case option available.

Was looking for overdrive units, like the Fairey, but that seems to be under engineered and no longer in production.
I know there was another one, but can't recall the name.

Larger tires would also help but, again, that affects the gear ratio. I would like 33s on it though, so maybe that's it?

These are the tires I am looking at right now:

Or

But also looking at:

Have called all over, including Advance Adapters about their Ranger Torque Splitter, and nothing. Very frustrating!!!
Maybe other options? I would like to change as little as possible to keep the LC as reliable as possible.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5033.jpg
    IMG_5033.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5034.jpg
    IMG_5034.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5035.jpg
    IMG_5035.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
The H41 4 spd has1st 4.925. The H55F 5spd has 1st 4.843, only 1.6% shorter. 5th is 0.845.
With the 5spd and 4.11s, rpms at 60 mph is ~2130 with 8.25s and 2280 with 7.50s.
The H engine pictured makes peak torque and lowest bfsc at 2200. Peak hp at 3600 I believe.

Strider

Observer
The H41 4 spd has1st 4.925. The H55F 5spd has 1st 4.843, only 1.6% shorter. 5th is 0.845.
With the 5spd and 4.11s, rpms at 60 mph is ~2130 with 8.25s and 2280 with 7.50s.
The H engine pictured makes peak torque and lowest bfsc at 2200. Peak hp at 3600 I believe.

Thanks!
I'm waiting for more specs, now that I am seeing this info. I think the gearing is even lower (higher numerically) than 4.11, but will see once I get that info.
Based on what you said, seems like the five speed will actually let me keep the same low range while giving me the ability to do about 60mph+ without winding up the engine. Am I correct?
There's someone who has a 5Speed and T-Case that I may be able to get eventually.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Our HJ45 runs on 235/85R16s, the other popular option is 225/95R16s (admittedly both sizes are from brand new 70 series Land Cruisers on skinnys. With those tyres it will sit at about 100km/h all day long until you hit the ranges here (I've done it). They aren't a speed machine, accept that you're going to be travelling at 100km/h tops and you'll be fine. a 5th gear might help, but I don't think it would bring it down that much.

Otherwise a repower with an LS would solve the speed issue....

Strider

Observer
Our HJ45 runs on 235/85R16s, the other popular option is 225/95R16s (admittedly both sizes are from brand new 70 series Land Cruisers on skinnys. With those tyres it will sit at about 100km/h all day long until you hit the ranges here (I've done it). They aren't a speed machine, accept that you're going to be travelling at 100km/h tops and you'll be fine. a 5th gear might help, but I don't think it would bring it down that much.

Otherwise a repower with an LS would solve the speed issue....

I want to keep my engine. Maybe a turbo in the future.

I'll look at those tire options.
Thanks!

Strider

Observer
Any pizza cutter tires that are recommended?
BF Goodrich used to make a 33/9.50/15 that I used in my Jeep, but no more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94