Canadian Hino Ranger FT 4x4 Crewcab

Abitibi

Explorer
Very cool to see the axle up close! I wonder how large that ring gear is? Putting my guess around 10.5" ;) I find it interesting that all of the current and former Japanese trucks used closed knuckle designs when that has been done away with by North American manufacturers, pretty much after the Dana 70 front axles from the 70's and a few Rockwell ones then.
I love knuckle ends. Had them on my 90's Nissan Patrol. Maybe they changed the design here to make more money on service & parts

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
Nice thing with JDM truck is they are pretty neat. Even after 28 yrs there's still a sticker on the front axle confirming the gear ratio, same on the transfer case :)

Axle: 5.14

And nice to be able to set some HD ramps, no crawling required!
9e25cdcc6a39037995ffae36dc325993.jpg
06246379af9651ee9a4f9a6fce6c42c8.jpg
e022a0a78be399f2ddf8b77f3942d436.jpg
98768f7e01245751b7d0cdf47a7946f3.jpg

baipin

Very cool indeed! Really curious to know the shaft diameter, ring and pinion size, on this beast!

Do these have 17.5" wheels? 20's? Something else?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Leaf springs normally have an arc. Yours look pretty flat, hence the comment.
Either worn out or the load may exceed their capacity.

Abitibi

Explorer
For lighter vehicles I would agree but not necessarily with heavier ones. I could be wrong but that's my experience anyway.

Once the new wheels are mounted I'll decide if I need to get them re-arched.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Congrats on the acquisition! So great to see you start your project and it's been great going back and forth on notes. Seeing as I own pretty much the exact same rig that is sitting sadly in storage right now, I got side tracked by my F450 project, I'll be following along and using you as my guinea pig!

I think those Pirellis are going to look amazing on that rig. Love to see the bolt pattern, backspacing etc when you get the centers cut. Looooove that H07D. It's basically a tank motor. Should be able to turbo it just fine, plenty of room for a turbo. Great find on that exhaust manifold. Following intently on what will surely be one of the coolest builds on Expo!

iggi

Ian
Looks like that's how those springs are designed. e.g. They are quite flat from the factory. Doesn't mean they ride great but not an indication that they are sagging or worn out.

Interesting article on the ride quality and options for replacements.

Abitibi

Explorer
Congrats on the acquisition! So great to see you start your project and it's been great going back and forth on notes. Seeing as I own pretty much the exact same rig that is sitting sadly in storage right now, I got side tracked by my F450 project, I'll be following along and using you as my guinea pig!

I think those Pirellis are going to look amazing on that rig. Love to see the bolt pattern, backspacing etc when you get the centers cut. Looooove that H07D. It's basically a tank motor. Should be able to turbo it just fine, plenty of room for a turbo. Great find on that exhaust manifold. Following intently on what will surely be one of the coolest builds on Expo!

Thanks my friend
You made the transition to this new truck very smooth. For those who don't know DirtWhiskey has the same truck as mine and got me tons of info, manuals, etc to get me going. Much appreciated!

Abitibi

Explorer
Looks like that's how those springs are designed. e.g. They are quite flat from the factory. Doesn't mean they ride great but not an indication that they are sagging or worn out.

Interesting article on the ride quality and options for replacements.
Would be nice to have these type of shops locally...

On a side note I received my 5 Titan steel rims yesterday. I forgot how heavy 120lbs is, lol. This will be my next project along with taking the box out in early Feb.
As for suspension, it's not too bad in general. That is, until you see a sign indicating "DIP" on the hwy. Never slowed down for those before but now is a different story. I hit the front bump stops so hard my teeth are still shaking, lol. I'm sure the larger tires will help, or slowing down!

I also have an air ride seat that I'll look into installing. The base is a little larger but shouldn't be too complicated to fit. For my lovely wife who's finally on board with one of my many projects I have an air base to replace the current fix base of the passenger's seats.

Rhino pas seat base.png

And great news today. I found a box to mount at the back! It's almost exactly what I was looking for. I'll be honest I'm just not a fan of composite boxes. They look like the interior of an hospital with all that shiny white, not for me. And I'm also not convinced they are that strong. I've already seen a few getting beated up by stubborn branches, etc. So I got what I'm familiar with and love to work with. Another ambo box but one that comes with as close as measurements as I was hoping for. It is 14' long by 8' wide and has 73" of standing room. It came from a truck so the front part isn't fully opened up like those on vans. Bonus it's already red! Sadly I forgot to take pictures before the owner took down the add so I don't have much to show for except this blurry pic. It will be a 9hrs drive each ways to go pick it up but that's part of the fun right!

Rhino box.png

I'll post pictures as the project moves along.
Cheers
David

Abitibi

Explorer
Somewhat productive day, mostly planning but good day! Took one of my front wheel off to take measurements then off to the waterjet shop nearby my place. Very friendly and professional place, not cheap but can't have it all right.

So as expected I have the old style studs so bolt centric I guess?

20230118_150638.jpg

I took all the faces off the military rims and left them at the shop so they can cut me a new disc with the proper bolt pattern. Bringing the actual rims back with me for some clean up...

20230118_144529.jpg

20230118_144659.jpg

Checked the measurements twice and we made a test template out of cardboard. So far so good! They'll make one face plate and if it works out as expected then they'll finish them all by the end of the week.

20230118_144750.jpg

20230118_160642.jpg

While there the owner brought me to the back of his shop, telling me he had a very old and very cool camper that he'd like to get rid of. I didn't expect this beauty! Needs a good clean up but such a cool antique overlander!!! If anyone is interested just let me know :)

20230118_142900.jpg

Slowly eating that elephant, lol.

Cheers
David

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Somewhat productive day, mostly planning but good day! Took one of my front wheel off to take measurements then off to the waterjet shop nearby my place. Very friendly and professional place, not cheap but can't have it all right.

So as expected I have the old style studs so bolt centric I guess?

View attachment 761740

I took all the faces off the military rims and left them at the shop so they can cut me a new disc with the proper bolt pattern. Bringing the actual rims back with me for some clean up...

View attachment 761737

View attachment 761738

Checked the measurements twice and we made a test template out of cardboard. So far so good! They'll make one face plate and if it works out as expected then they'll finish them all by the end of the week.

View attachment 761739

View attachment 761741

While there the owner brought me to the back of his shop, telling me he had a very old and very cool camper that he'd like to get rid of. I didn't expect this beauty! Needs a good clean up but such a cool antique overlander!!! If anyone is interested just let me know :)

View attachment 761736

Slowly eating that elephant, lol.

Cheers
David
Need more pictures and details on that old 4x4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles