HJ Pickup to Expedition Vehicle

Strider

Observer
Hello all! I just acquired a 1980 BJ55 BJ45 Longbed pickup. Will be picking it up in March and driving it from Florida to Arizona. I will document the event on video and photography.

My goal is to make this an expedition camper. Don't want a huge box on the back, but instead more like a Troopy with the tilt up top for sleeping... sort of like the AluCab ones.

So I am trying to see if there are panels available to enclose the rear area. I don't mind keeping the pickup cab and adding a longer roof and sides... having to step over the back wall section.

Plans are to install a five speed manual and power steering. I remember there was an overdrive unit that installs between the transmission and transfer case, but can't find it.

Suspension will probably be OME, but not sure if the regular or the BP51s. Terrain Tamer is also an option. But I have had good experiences with OME, which I've used on all of my vehicles.

Any recommendations for these things?

Attachments

• IMG_3965.jpeg
    IMG_3965.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3966.jpeg
    IMG_3966.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3967.jpeg
    IMG_3967.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3968.jpeg
    IMG_3968.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3969.jpeg
    IMG_3969.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3970.jpeg
    IMG_3970.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Just FYI it’s a BJ45, not 55.
Only real OD option is the 5 speed H55F. BTW I have one with a B input shaft under a tarp, hooked to a 38mm 2 piece TC, with a PTO.
Considering the LWB, if it has a rear full floater, think about a Detroit Locker. 225SL124A

Strider

Observer
Just FYI it’s a BJ45, not 55.
Only real OD option is the 5 speed H55F. BTW I have one with a B input shaft under a tarp, hooked to a 38mm 2 piece TC, with a PTO.
Considering the LWB, if it has a rear full floater, think about a Detroit Locker. 225SL124A

Hey thanks for the correction! I was starting to wonder-kept seeing the other ones (55) when I did searches, and this looked like a 40. Thanks!

I know what a PTO is, but not the rest of the stuff you mentioned.
For a locker I'll do an ARB Air Locker.

H55F is the 5 speed. The transfer cases that go with the 5 speeds started with a 34mm idler shaft, then they upsized it to 38mm. You can get Sumo lower low range gears for it but the 3:1 have 1.07 high range, 4:1 1.1:1.

Strider

Observer
H55F is the 5 speed. The transfer cases that go with the 5 speeds started with a 34mm idler shaft, then they upsized it to 38mm. You can get Sumo lower low range gears for it but the 3:1 have 1.07 high range, 4:1 1.1:1.
Thanks!
I will look into that. Probably the power steering first, though!

Strider

Observer
Was driving today thinking about the LC. Was also thinking of our Tacoma: a 2020 four door TRD Off-Road, manual. Brother in law took over the payments. It was a great little truck, but I have to say that all the modern stuff often drive me NUTS!!! The beeping, the warnings, the lights, the automatic door locks and the electric windows... all very nice-except, in my opinion, in an expedition rig.
Once the warranty goes and things start malfunctioning, it becomes a nightmare. You can't diagnose a lot of the stuff, and so much electronics that it's a nightmare. I know nothing is perfect, but new vehicles are built to be disposable, like TVs and radios. You put a bullbar, winch, suspension, lights, etc etc and in a few years the damn thing starts to give problems-you can;t fix it yourself, and then what? Go to the dealer over and over or trade it in and start over.

ANyway, that''s enough of my rant.

Strider

Observer
Tex68w, you said (in the other thread) "By "gaiter" I was referring to a rubber boot of sorts that allows for flex between the cab and the bed/camper. If you did a PCOR tray style setup like the tan one shown in the pics above it would allow you to keep and store the original bed for use later on should you want to sell it or convert it back to stock. It won't be a cheap route to go but it would allow for a UTE style setup that is somewhat easily removed to allow for flatbed use."

OK. I see.
I have been looking at that one you mentioned: the PCOR. It's really beautiful along with the camper top, but for what it costs I can almost buy a Troopy and keep this one.

I am leaning towards keeping the bed setup as is and building a removable camper for it, with a flip-up top, and replacing the rear glass with a hatch. This would allow for in and out in emergency or very bad weather, as well as access to the dogs.

I think the setup below is sort of what I would do, but with the standard bed, and the sides enclosed. Maybe a foot taller and extending over the cab. Using detachable lift-up legs, I can then prop it up and drive out from under it, and visa versa.

Some of the ones I've seen, like the PCOR one, have more of a rooftop tent feel because the inside is not really useable for "living" with the opening sides etc. I think of it more as a troopy, with the inside being a living area and the bed on top flipping up and down with the roof.

I want to be able to sit in there, especvially in bad weather, and write, edit video, etc.

The gaiter thing I was considering, but didn't know it was called that. I was thinking of a sort of rubber doughnut as a gasket-like an inner tube type of deal. I'm sure someone makes that.

Was thinking of the removal of the bed to install/build a box, but I don't know that it's worth it because I don;t want a big camper back there. SInce I want to stay close to Troopy size, it seems best to do the removable camper on the stock bed, or, if I remove the bed, see about installing a troopy body.

I will do some drawings later and post them-just to see what y'all think, and to help me visualize better.

Again, thank you for the input!

Attachments

• 4c360ff02cfdfe04a29cab50afff2bae.jpg
    4c360ff02cfdfe04a29cab50afff2bae.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 038e21db6d8ee14ddd7935faf787b724.png
    038e21db6d8ee14ddd7935faf787b724.png
    833.7 KB · Views: 25

Strider

Observer
So I just realized a couple of things:

1. My wife's birthday is during Spring Break.
2. Driving the LC from Florida to Arizona will take longer than a regular car, as I won't be doing 70+mph on highways. I like taking backroads, but it's about the time I have.
3. I only have a week in Spring Break to fly there, see wife's family, celebrate her birthday, and then get the LC back here.

I don't want to rush it, as I'd like to make it a cool documented adventure going to pick it up and drive it back.
I could have it shipped here, but that seems like a pretty depressing alternative to the adventure!
So... Looks like I will have to wait until summer, mid June, to do this! ARRRG!!!
However, despite the pain, it will allow me to do a nice relaxed trip and take some good footage, stop in some cool places...

Any advice on prepping the vehicle for such a long trip? I am new to diesel and, although I have read this is a simple, bullet-proof engine, I'd like to have it in top shape.

Thanks in advance!

Arktikos

Explorer
It's a beauty.
Review the maintenance history, check fluids, tires, the front end integrity and prepare yourself for a slow, noisy ride.
The 3B is outstanding for longevity, but no engine is bulletproof. They're really slow, even in a SWB stock LC. Hard to imagine what it'd be like in a larger truck further weighed down with add ons. A turbo would help out the low HP a great deal.

Strider

Observer
It's a beauty.
Review the maintenance history, check fluids, tires, the front end integrity and prepare yourself for a slow, noisy ride.
The 3B is outstanding for longevity, but no engine is bulletproof. They're really slow, even in a SWB stock LC. Hard to imagine what it'd be like in a larger truck further weighed down with add ons. A turbo would help out the low HP a great deal.

Thanks!
Is there a turbo for that engine? Can it handle a turbo? I'll look it up, but do you have experience with that?

Last edited:

Strider

Observer
I absolutely would not cut that bed down! I don't know which sin that would be, but it certainly would be a big one!

If it were just absolutely necessary (and I really doubt it) I might take the bed off and have a shorter flatbed made for a platform. Then I'd store that bed someplace safe!

No! Not cutting the bed down. I would replace it, like you said, if anything, but the more I think about it, the more I think it will be perfect to leave it as is and just make a removable camper top. A flatbed would be cool, but would loose some standing height, and the stock bed looks nice and boxy/militaary as it is, so I like it!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I suspect you didn't buy that for a song. It's really nice for being 43 years old. It isn't something to run the Baja with, at least not the race.

I'd be careful about adding stuff, like a turbo, larger wheels, tires, etc. Tossing a light weight camper or rigging for camping is fine and something that thing was built for.

Keep it looking like that and in a few years, you might pull a float in a parade.

My suggestion is to leave it in good original condition, keep maintenance records, use it and the value will likely increase.

That should do everything you need to do to go camping off road just as it sits. It's cool as is!
Might toss some carpet/sound deadener on the floor for the noise, hang your CB but nothing that screws it up.

If you have dreams of going mudding or rock crawling, don't put that vehicle in those dreams, go get an old POC that doesn't matter. Just IMO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles