Earthroamer SX

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
The market must be good enough at the higher end to keep their production capacity full with higher profit on each vehicle. Why go down market in that scenario?
Oh, of course. From a business stand point, what they're doing makes perfect sense and I understand. I just see a part of the market that would want a smaller unit.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Oh, of course. From a business stand point, what they're doing makes perfect sense and I understand. I just see a part of the market that would want a smaller unit.

Well, GXV had their branch out brand with the Adventure Trucks which was smaller and more "Reasonably Priced" (relatively speaking anyway) but they never really took off. Likely due to horrendous customer service.

Its not really possible to go smaller than the F450/4400 and have a fully built out truck and camper and have it anywhere near GVWR.

The TruckHouse thing was a hilarious idea and anyone that thought that would work out needs to lay off the glue inhalation.

I am still 51% convinced it was all a marketing / investment scheme to get a bunch of $ to build some cool trucks for the owners.

Its been what? 2 years now, and other than the few shop trucks they post pics of, there has yet to be one delivered to an actual paying customer?

The amount of capital to sustain that for 2 years or so is INSANE.

The truth will eventually come out, but i am betting on bankruptcy and fraud charges in their future.

Back on original Topic, i am not a Chevy or a Ford guy, but aethestically speaking, i very much like the SX. Looks a lot more balanced cab to camperwise.

Last edited:
I'm a much bigger fan of this interior layout then the previous. I think it just makes sense to have the door in front of the rear axle and have a large dinette in the back. At least from a family standpoint it would be nice to have two separate areas for sleeping and not have to climb over kids in a dinette to get to the bathroom in the back of the camper.

There's also something about having the large view sitting in the dinette being able to see all around the back of the camper.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I'm a much bigger fan of this interior layout then the previous. I think it just makes sense to have the door in front of the rear axle and have a large dinette in the back. At least from a family standpoint it would be nice to have two separate areas for sleeping and not have to climb over kids in a dinette to get to the bathroom in the back of the camper.

There's also something about having the large view sitting in the dinette being able to see all around the back of the camper.

Agree with this 100%

gregmchugh

Observer
I was actually a little surprised to see those tires. While ours have been fantastic, they became hard/impossible to get last year and a couple of the GXV folks went the other way. One person got what I think Goodyear themselves described as a "bad batch" and had an explosive blowout at highway speeds. Which I bet was.......exciting.

There were all manner of theories why they got as rare as rocking horse sh$& ranging from the war in Ukraine to other gov contracts. I still have another couple thousand miles before I need to replace mine and I've been hoping that the supply crunch got solved before needing to do it. The fact that ER is using them in a new build is good news for me.

I noticed that they are using the Goodyear G275 not the G278 we have on our Kenworth trucks. They are at a lower GVWR, 23,500 lb, so they can use the G275.

gregmchugh

Observer

Not sure why they put low end appliances in a million dollar truck, True Induction cooktops are not really something to put in a million dollar truck. Also surprised by the 100 gallon fuel tank. Okay for the normal use of these trucks but for long journeys we find that the 200 gallons of fuel we have in our GXV very useful when way up north in the Yukon, NWT, and Alaska. Fuel up where the price is normal and avoid having to get fuel at very high prices. Also fill up before entering Canada or California and do a little to keep the fuel cost down.

Not sure why they put low end appliances in a million dollar truck, True Induction cooktops are not really something to put in a million dollar truck.
What’s wrong with an induction cooktop? I was very happy to replace my propane cooktop with a $300 Empava induction. Got rid of 55kg of propane cylinders containing the same explosive energy as 250 lb of TNT. More room in rear storage compartment. 5 x 190w solar panels and 4x210ah batteries makes the power supply no problem.
So what’s better than induction, except for a campfire?
And although I have 227 gal fuel capacity, I need only the midship 105 gal 99% of the time. That’s with ~27000 lb actual loaded weight (33k gvw). Yes I agree filling up before entering California from say Oregon and having 120 gal when I get to daughter’s house in SD is nice.

gregmchugh

Observer
What’s wrong with an induction cooktop? I was very happy to replace my propane cooktop with a $300 Empava induction. Got rid of 55kg of propane cylinders containing the same explosive energy as 250 lb of TNT. More room in rear storage compartment. 5 x 190w solar panels and 4x210ah batteries makes the power supply no problem.
So what’s better than induction, except for a campfire?
And although I have 227 gal fuel capacity, I need only the midship 105 gal 99% of the time. That’s with ~27000 lb actual loaded weight (33k gvw). Yes I agree filling up before entering California from say Oregon and having 120 gal when I get to daughter’s house in SD is nice.
Induction is great, my issue was that they could have used a higher quality induction cooktop in a million dollar vehicle.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Induction is great, my issue was that they could have used a higher quality induction cooktop in a million dollar vehicle.

Agreed. I have the exact same True Induction double burner in my build and it was $250 and i when it arrived i thought "Wow, i expected a bit better quality for $250" but its worked good the handful of times ive used it.

I'll admit i went with that brand simply for the fact ER used it, so i assumed it was of high quality. Meh

Its one of those items you cant really find locally to see and touch and inspect before purchase either so its a crap shoot

Its pretty dang loud also... Not sure if ER muffles the sound from below or not

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I noticed that they are using the Goodyear G275 not the G278 we have on our Kenworth trucks. They are at a lower GVWR, 23,500 lb, so they can use the G275.

Ah, that explains it. Sigh. Sounds like I’ll have an adventure when I need to find 4 new G278s

I took a giant chunk out of one of my treads while traveling a super rocky/uneven trail that I’m a little suspicious of right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles