Wind River Ranging

OldGreyShoe

Truly outstanding. Thank you for the time and effort it took to put all of that together…and I’m sure you’ll get to add Cirque of the Towers someday!

I can't help but repeat myself.....such a great trip & an excellent write up. I could hear the silence of the Winds in all of your photography.....awesome photography for an amateur as you call yourself. Thanks for taking the time to post this.....I thoroughly enjoyed it.....

jkam

nomadic man
I'd forgotten just how many lakes are in the Wind River range. Many of them pond size. A lot of your photos have one in it.
It's a beautiful and mostly left alone place, which makes it all that more special.

Thanks for the reminders of 40 years ago for me.

TripLeader

Explorer
Truly outstanding. Thank you for the time and effort it took to put all of that together…and I’m sure you’ll get to add Cirque of the Towers someday!

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I like having a place on the internet, in this case Expedition Portal, where I can keep a record of these trips for myself too. ...We are discussing heading back in a couple of years.

I can't help but repeat myself.....such a great trip & an excellent write up. I could hear the silence of the Winds in all of your photography.....awesome photography for an amateur as you call yourself. Thanks for taking the time to post this.....I thoroughly enjoyed it.....

Thanks again. Trip reports are my favorite part of ExPo. It seems to me that traffic on the website is down and trip reports are posted less frequently than several years ago, which is a shame. And now video reports are becoming the norm. I'm not so much a fan of them. I like words and I love photos.

I'd forgotten just how many lakes are in the Wind River range. Many of them pond size. A lot of your photos have one in it.
It's a beautiful and mostly left alone place, which makes it all that more special.

Thanks for the reminders of 40 years ago for me.

I wish this wasn't my first trip there. I should have visited a decade ago.

ITTOG

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I like having a place on the internet, in this case Expedition Portal, where I can keep a record of these trips for myself too. ...We are discussing heading back in a couple of years.

Thanks again. Trip reports are my favorite part of ExPo. It seems to me that traffic on the website is down and trip reports are posted less frequently than several years ago, which is a shame. And now video reports are becoming the norm. I'm not so much a fan of them. I like words and I love photos.

I wish this wasn't my first trip there. I should have visited a decade ago.
I agree that words and pics are best. I did a six day trip around the Tetons a couple years ago and my trip report still brings back memories. I almost didn't write it. So glad I did.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

ripperj

Explorer
Nice job on the trip report, thanks for posting
My son and I, along with a friend did some back country camping in the Wind River range back in 2019- it was a beautiful nightmare! The mosquitoes where so thick that we had to wear rain gear and long pants in the hot sun in July midday.
My son and I were in our tent at 3:00pm after jumping in a lake to cool off. The mosquitoes even got in the freeze dried meal bags while trying to eat outside.

I definitely want to go back a different time of year.IMG_2666.jpg
IMG_3132.jpg
IMG_3133.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
My son and I, along with a friend did some back country camping in the Wind River range back in 2019- it was a beautiful nightmare! The mosquitoes where so thick that we had to wear rain gear and long pants in the hot sun in July midday.
My son and I were in our tent at 3:00pm after jumping in a lake to cool off. The mosquitoes even got in the freeze dried meal bags while trying to eat outside.

I definitely want to go back a different time of year.View attachment 752748
View attachment 752749
View attachment 752750

Permithrin. On everything. This is the way. Especially on the reservation side where they have a Minnesota black fly infestation. You can't feel when they bite in those little suckers leave black welts. They like to climb up your shirt sleeves, down your neck and your pant legs. I tested against my friends one year they used DEET I used permethrin. They had hundreds of bites I had none.

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Thanks for brining back the amazing memories!
...went on a 14 day climbing trip into the Range back in 1981.

Cheers

TripLeader

Explorer

I definitely want to go back a different time of year.View attachment 752748
View attachment 752749
View attachment 752750

We knew there was a chance for it. But late August did not bring too many mosquitos and flies. We had a few bites, but nothing even close to what you experienced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles