Kimberley Kampers USA

EPO

How does the propane line route to the cooktop on the Karavan? It seems like I saw somewhere that it was a somewhat long extension (that maybe quick connects??). In order to not trip over it/be in the way, do you route it behind the entry steps?

Also, did I read somewhere that the Karavan can be used 4 seasons by having a winter package?

Last edited:

bomar

Adventurer
Yes I have a long connection that goes behind steps I use on my Weber.

I have had my Karavan in close to zero temps. There are a few areas like the sink drain that might freeze and bust.

But I ran tank heaters on as I traveled through days of sub freezing temps.

We get temps they don’t see in AUS.
Dave will shoot you straight on how to get through the cold temps.

wtraptor

How does the propane line route to the cooktop on the Karavan? It seems like I saw somewhere that it was a somewhat long extension (that maybe quick connects??). In order to not trip over it/be in the way, do you route it behind the entry steps?

Also, did I read somewhere that the Karavan can be used 4 seasons by having a winter package?

Its a long extension which you can route behind the steps. The cook partner stove option uses a high pressure propane hose if you choose that option.

wtraptor

For those with the standard Simarine setup, my E class did not include inclinometer or temp probe. Adding them has been easy for those that are interested. The shunt module is in the battery compartment and has an open communication port as well as temp probe. I put the inclinometer in the same compartment. The temp probe I placed with the batteries to get outside battery temperature. simarine shunt.jpegsimarine inclinometer 2.jpegsimarine inclinometer.jpegsimarine temp.jpeg

Reactions: Huc

EPO

Thx for the replies regarding the propane line. Next question...it doesn't appear that there is an outside refrigerator except maybe a drawer refrigerator option though I've never seen a pic of it. I'd sure prefer an outside refrigerator.

Romer

Adventurer
There use to be an option for a fridge in place of the two burner for the Karavan. From a practical view point, the inside fridge is better as you can load it and use it even with the Karavan closed up. When it is cold outside you can get something comfy from the fridge in your pj's :) I do have a fridge freezer (National Luna) in my truck as well

I much prefer the two burner option rather than the fridge outside. It also came with a large wok burner that I have never used. It doesn't take up space other than storage

Just my opinion, and you may have a different perspective

From the 2015 price book I was sent to select my options.

1667103687066.png

1667103597831.png

Last edited:

EPO

There use to be an option for a fridge in place of the two burner for the Karavan. From a practical view point, the inside fridge is better as you can load it and use it even with the Karavan closed up. When it is cold outside you can get something comfy from the fridge in your pj's :) I do have a fridge freezer (National Luna) in my truck as well

I much prefer the two burner option rather than the fridge outside. It also came with a large wok burner that I have never used. It doesn't take up space other than storage

Just my opinion, and you may have a different perspective

From the 2015 price book I was sent to select my options.

View attachment 749576

View attachment 749575
Thanks Romer. Agree, I'd prefer an outside 2 burner to not having one with an outside refrigerator. You have reminded me about putting a fridge in the truck also, good idea.

Question about the driver side door on the Karavan. While we would use the Karavan (should we get one) 90% of the time boondocking and such, do you or anyone else have issues when you are in a campsite with the picnic table, utilities hookups, etc. standardized for a passenger side door? Also, is it kinda weird to be facing the entrance door of the camper next to you instead of the back side of it if that has ever happened. Some campsites are pretty much in the open...

Romer

Adventurer
Most of the camp sites I go to are mirror sites meaning two sites have Picnic tables on the opposite side. Even when the picnic table is behind me it doesnt cause any issues as I tend to set up my table and chairs under the awning. If I want to use the picnic table, what is a few more steps?
To me it seems correct as I like the door on the drivers side. Makes it easier when I need to open the door and get something. When not in a camp site, there is obviously no issues. You can get the newer ones with awning on both sides if that is your preference

kk.JPGIMG_0080.JPG

EPO

Most of the camp sites I go to are mirror sites meaning two sites have Picnic tables on the opposite side. Even when the picnic table is behind me it doesnt cause any issues as I tend to set up my table and chairs under the awning. If I want to use the picnic table, what is a few more steps?
To me it seems correct as I like the door on the drivers side. Makes it easier when I need to open the door and get something. When not in a camp site, there is obviously no issues. You can get the newer ones with awning on both sides if that is your preference

View attachment 749820View attachment 749821
Makes sense. Just seemed to me that it might feel a bit funny being "backwards" on occasion.

Edit: for correct spelling.

Last edited:

Huc

Finally got the Kimberley back home - not my favorite camping conditions/locations but thought it was appropriate for this thread to "...see what you're towing..." These give a general idea of overall size towing and setup, along with the towing relationship to the Defender 110x with the McHitch connection.

It was a quick turn around with Sep Defender delivery/pickup and Oct trailer delivery/pickup, but we're looking forward to some off-road appropriate settings now that both components are in hand!
huc-a.jpghuc-b.jpghuc-c.jpghuc-d.jpghuc-e.jpghuc-f.jpghuc-g.jpghuc-h.jpg

rehammer81

The Karavan is such a cool design to me. I'd love to see a US mfg attempt something similar. I have also always wondered how bad of an insulation impact the slide out beds have and could there be a reasonable way to make one better insulated than just some thin metal panels. That being said, if I could avoid the import fee the Karavan would probably be top of my list. I just can't swallow tacking that on top of the already high price tag.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

FordGuy1

Adventurer
The Karavan is such a cool design to me. I'd love to see a US mfg attempt something similar. I have also always wondered how bad of an insulation impact the slide out beds have and could there be a reasonable way to make one better insulated than just some thin metal panels. That being said, if I could avoid the import fee the Karavan would probably be top of my list. I just can't swallow tacking that on top of the already high price tag.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
You cant let 15k be the deciding factor in something you will have so much enjoyment with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles