2021 Ford F250 Tremor Adventure Rig

eyemgh

Nice Smokey plate. :)
Yeah, definitely need a bumper for protection. Who is going to fab for you?

I'll chime in with my Morimoto XB LED experience; love them, very clean cutoff pattern, 5k lumens is just right and not too purple! I don't have any drive time on factory LED's or other brands, but I'm persnickety for high quality and the the Morimoto product has always been excellent. Would purchase again and again.

Thanks!

I‘m not sure yet on the fab. I didn’t realize that it is as complicated as it is. The design and fab are straight forward, but if you redo the tire carrier, apparently you need some sort of certification. More info to follow.

Superduty

Adventurer
Thanks!

I‘m not sure yet on the fab. I didn’t realize that it is as complicated as it is. The design and fab are straight forward, but if you redo the tire carrier, apparently you need some sort of certification. More info to follow.

Certification? By whom? And how the heck would anyone know?

Superduty

Adventurer
Apparently, according to the fabricator I was speaking with, there’s more liability. Dunno otherwise.

Sounds to me like he doesn't want to deal with a re design??? If you/he are concerned about the extra weight of the larger spare then you can do what Carli does which is simply add a ratchet strap set up to hold the tire in place, which in turn takes the load off the original winch system. I added a 2" ratchet strap to my 37" spare tire. It definitely adds peace of mind that the factory winch system isn't supporting the tire. i went the cheap route with a regular ratchet strap, but if you want a really nice set up look at the MACs tire ratchet strap - that might be what Carli uses.

i still use the factory winch system to raise or lower the spare. Once in place i secure the ratchet strap and then back off the winch a hair.

Macfly

I ordered the Carli unit as it looks so well thought out, and I guess I can live without a rear bumper as it'd add a bunch of weight and move the CoG faster back, which can't be good.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Apparently, according to the fabricator I was speaking with, there’s more liability. Dunno otherwise.

Same experience. I spoke to a shop I trust and they said the same thing. They'd be liable for anything anyone ever put into the hitch, even after I sell the rig. Never thought about that but makes sense.

sumnrfam

I’ve got a flatbed too, plus it’s 8’ replacing a 6.75’ factory bed. As a result, the receiver is recessed. For less than a Trophy Hitch, I’ll be able to have a unit fabricated to accommodate 37s (even though I run 35s), get the hitch out where it belongs (albeit higher), but most importantly, I’ll get a bumper. It wigs be out a bit to have the camper and the bed hanging out with no protection.

@BretEdge ,,

Bret,, have you taken a look at the TrailReady (Norweld) flatbed bumper?,

Other than the wings sweeping upward to match the Norweld,, it should be pretty straightforward to make a version to suit the Bowen. They are up in Oregon, and seem to be willing to build to suit. It eliminates the factory hitch (freeing up space for the oversized spare ;-) ),,
Might be a sweet option,,

Cheers,,

Wade

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

Sounds to me like he doesn't want to deal with a re design??? If you/he are concerned about the extra weight of the larger spare then you can do what Carli does which is simply add a ratchet strap set up to hold the tire in place, which in turn takes the load off the original winch system. I added a 2" ratchet strap to my 37" spare tire. It definitely adds peace of mind that the factory winch system isn't supporting the tire. i went the cheap route with a regular ratchet strap, but if you want a really nice set up look at the MACs tire ratchet strap - that might be what Carli uses.

i still use the factory winch system to raise or lower the spare. Once in place i secure the ratchet strap and then back off the winch a hair.
Same here on my Ram. The winch failed on my older ram upon arriving home from a Baja trip. The spare was an inch from the ground. I've used ratchet straps ever since.

BretEdge

Adventurer
@BretEdge ,,

Bret,, have you taken a look at the TrailReady (Norweld) flatbed bumper?,

Yes, and while we were in Oregon last year we coordinated with one of the owners of TR to visit their HQ so he could take a bunch of measurements of our truck. At the time they'd only made a bumper for the Ram. We drove over an hour out of our way to meet up with him, he took the measurements and I placed the order. He didn't want a deposit. Weeks went by...crickets. I sent multiple emails, nothing. After several months I tried again and he responded, saying that they'd been busy and that he'd get me a quote (?) soon. Then, nothing. I tried a few more times to contact them and never heard back. Worst customer service I've ever had. I'll never give them a penny.

sumnrfam

Yes, and while we were in Oregon last year we coordinated with one of the owners of TR to visit their HQ so he could take a bunch of measurements of our truck. At the time they'd only made a bumper for the Ram. We drove over an hour out of our way to meet up with him, he took the measurements and I placed the order. He didn't want a deposit. Weeks went by...crickets. I sent multiple emails, nothing. After several months I tried again and he responded, saying that they'd been busy and that he'd get me a quote (?) soon. Then, nothing. I tried a few more times to contact them and never heard back. Worst customer service I've ever had. I'll never give them a penny.
Wow @BretEdge ,, that is a bummer to hear for sure!! I dont care how nice something is,, if you cant follow up with a customer,, you're gonna lose business,, all day every day....

eyemgh

Wow @BretEdge ,, that is a bummer to hear for sure!! I dont care how nice something is,, if you cant follow up with a customer,, you're gonna lose business,, all day every day....

Same happened to me. I was interested in Liquid Spring and a bumper. Insert cricket emoji here.

Ended up with a Carli Pintop and an Expedition One bumper.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Same happened to me. I was interested in Liquid Spring and a bumper. Insert cricket emoji here.

Ended up with a Carli Pintop and an Expedition One bumper.

Honestly, glad to know I'm not the only customer they didn't give a damn about. I'm sure you and I are not unique. Those Exp One bumpers are SWEEEET. I had a front & rear on my FJ. The rear took a super hard hit coming down off Poison Spider and only had a small dent underneath, not even visible. I thought for sure it was destroyed. Would love to have their bumper on my rig but just not a priority right now. Maybe they'll come out with something similar to TR's...but better?

eyemgh

Honestly, glad to know I'm not the only customer they didn't give a damn about. I'm sure you and I are not unique. Those Exp One bumpers are SWEEEET. I had a front & rear on my FJ. The rear took a super hard hit coming down off Poison Spider and only had a small dent underneath, not even visible. I thought for sure it was destroyed. Would love to have their bumper on my rig but just not a priority right now. Maybe they'll come out with something similar to TR's...but better?

I like the TR F17, but there’s no grill protection. That’s why I wanted a new bumper. The Expedition One doesn’t sit too proud and doesn’t weigh a ton. Their powder coating bothers some, but I had it coated locally. ??

BretEdge

Adventurer
Last weekend we escaped the insanity that is Moab during peak touron season for a very quiet night at a site we'd scoped from a nearby MTB trail. The landscape around the campsite didn't offer much of anything for foreground interest but the cliffs on either side were scenic. We spent a single night out there and got in a good ride earlier in the day, so all in all it was a win. The temperatures are finally heading south and the days are warm, nights are cool; perfect shorts and a hoody weather. Headed out again tomorrow night for another mini-adventure, and then we've got a four day out of town escape planned for next weekend. Still haven't decided where we're going but I'm confident it'll be somewhere with MTB trails. ;-)

Attachments

• Colorful Sunset Clouds Above Overlanding Campsite in Salt Valley.jpg
    Colorful Sunset Clouds Above Overlanding Campsite in Salt Valley.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Sunset on Sandstone Cliffs Above Overlanding Campsite in Salt Valley.jpg
    Sunset on Sandstone Cliffs Above Overlanding Campsite in Salt Valley.jpg
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 78
  • salt valley 1022-17.jpg
    salt valley 1022-17.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Melissa Edge Descending Slickrock on Zoltar Trail.jpg
    Melissa Edge Descending Slickrock on Zoltar Trail.jpg