The Dometic CFX3 Mega Thread

Howdy,

I have a CFX3 55IM and it has been working well since April. Now it powers on, and I can see it in the app and even make changes, but the Screen and buttons on the fridge are dead and non functional. The app reads a "Electronics Communication Error."

Other than having to use the app, it functions.

Anyone have this experience or know of a fix?

-MC8208773-AE8E-484F-AB62-52C39024390E.JPG

Telemonta

I am running a CFX3 75 to a GZ Yeti 1500x. Based on some testing the DC is piling less power from the Yeti than AC. With that said, the DC cigarette plug is a bit finicky and I am interested in plugging into the Anderson plug which has up to 30a and is 12V, regulated. Do you have a suggested adaptor or cord I should use for this alternative power method.

I am running a CFX3 75 to a GZ Yeti 1500x. Based on some testing the DC is piling less power from the Yeti than AC. With that said, the DC cigarette plug is a bit finicky and I am interested in plugging into the Anderson plug which has up to 30a and is 12V, regulated. Do you have a suggested adaptor or cord I should use for this alternative power method.
The Dometic 12v plug converts into a screw on plug, but you have to get the receptacle from dometic.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Got a 75DZ a few months ago. Just found this thread by accident (really wasn't looking for it). Have a few questions.

Instructions say I can't have 12V plugged in the same time I have 120V plugged in. Why is that? I read one comment (maybe a joke) that it catches fire. I have had an ARB fridge for the past 15 years and my standard routine is to power it off an extension cord while packing or packed and staged in the garage. Pull the plug and drive away when it is time to go. Leave the 12V always connected and the fridge is smart enough to run on the 120V if abailable and switch to 12V if no 120V. I really miss this. HUGE PAIN to swap power cords when I leave home.

The other is the fridge shuts down completely if the ambient climbs over ~120°F. The ARB would continue to run, just not be as cold as the dial is set. I would get a little warm up and it would maintain about 100°F drop below ambient. The new Dometic just turns itself completely off. Temps rocket (Duh, it is in a hot van). After half an hour it turns itself back on and spends a couple hours trying to recover from turning itself off. I have screen shots of the app where this is happening. Not low voltage. Customer service simply stated it was too warm so it turned off. And if I wanted to return I could take it back where I got it. Sorry, Amazon says I had it too long. Besides I don't want to return it. It is the size I want, two zones. I just want it to keep running. Anyone know where the ambient temp sensor is at so maybe I can just bypass the worlds stupidest feature on a fridge?

lemonfox91

Hello I have a older model Waeco CFX 35L and by holding the SET button i stumbled across these settings, what are they and how should I adjust them optimally? My model doesn't seem to have WIFI, which is not an issue and does not say (dometic) at all, just a BIG WAECO CFX sign. I was having a freezing issue a little while ago, not sure if i messed things up.
Seems to be energy efficient, I ran my Bluetti EB55 (537Wh) for 54 hours with it @ 5'C, not sure how that guy in the video pulled off 69 hours with a 55L model, that's amazing.

20220921_155042.jpg20220921_155053.jpg20220921_155050.jpg20220921_155045.jpg20220921_155049.jpg20220922_140506.jpg
I managed to find the model I have here https://www.snowys.com.au/cfx-35-portable-fridge-freezer-cover
It seems to be the first model CFX compared to the CFX2 here https://www.snowys.com.au/cfx-35w-portable-fridge-freezer
They seem to be slightly more energy efficient at 0.77Ah/h compared to the CFX3s 0.98ah/h.

Any further information, tips or instruction manuel for these is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

lemonfox91

I have also been having some issues with the DC port and cable on my fridge. I noticed the old port was a bit rusty so I decided to buy a new one from the CFX3 range, although it struggles to keep a stable connection to the portable power station and fridge turns off if DC cable is not perfectly aligned or bumped. The old port has a red tip, new one is all black.
It is also a pain to remove the cable from the back of the fridge, does it have some sort of locking mechanism?
The new cable says CA-10 and 12/24V 10A and the original cable says T8A 32V any ideas?

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Hello I have a older model Waeco CFX 35L and by holding the SET button i stumbled across these settings, what are they and how should I adjust them optimally? My model doesn't seem to have WIFI, which is not an issue and does not say (dometic) at all, just a BIG WAECO CFX sign. I was having a freezing issue a little while ago, not sure if i messed things up.
Seems to be energy efficient, I ran my Bluetti EB55 (537Wh) for 54 hours with it @ 5'C, not sure how that guy in the video pulled off 69 hours with a 55L model, that's amazing.

View attachment 743713View attachment 743714View attachment 743719View attachment 743715View attachment 743716View attachment 743717
I managed to find the model I have here https://www.snowys.com.au/cfx-35-portable-fridge-freezer-cover
It seems to be the first model CFX compared to the CFX2 here https://www.snowys.com.au/cfx-35w-portable-fridge-freezer
They seem to be slightly more energy efficient at 0.77Ah/h compared to the CFX3s 0.98ah/h.

Any further information, tips or instruction manuel for these is appreciated.

Thanks

I think you've gotten into the settings for the battery monitor, temp, and temperature units. Attached is a copy of the CFX manual which should help you explore the settings.

As for your question about the plug, I would recommend that you drop our customer service team an email at customersupportcenter@dometic.com. They should be able to help you sort out the power cable issue you are having (y)

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

Attachments

• operating_manual_52405.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

lemonfox91

I think you've gotten into the settings for the battery monitor, temp, and temperature units. Attached is a copy of the CFX manual which should help you explore the settings.

As for your question about the plug, I would recommend that you drop our customer service team an email at customersupportcenter@dometic.com. They should be able to help you sort out the power cable issue you are having (y)

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

Hi thanks for your response, sadly nothing in the manuel explained what those numbers/settings are. Could you ask someone more experienced if they cant assist me? Thanks

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Just discovered another glitch on my CFX75 DZ. The USB port only works if you pull the USB out 1-2mm. If you plug it in 100% you loose connection. I plugged my phone in and got my charging beep but it didn't charge. As I pulled the plug out of the fridge I got a beep again. So slowly inserted and removed the USB from the fridge. Always looses connection when fully inserted.

I love the separate freezer. There is now ice cream while camping out of a van.

I still wish someone could explain why I am not supposed to have 12V and 120V connected at the same time? I am about to build a relay disconnect so I can have both connected but when there is 120V it opens a relay for the 12V feed. Sounds like a stupid way around a problem that nobody will tell me what it is. Just a cryptic line in the manual that says don't connect both at the same time and one random post about it will set the fridge on fire.

bglenden

I still wish someone could explain why I am not supposed to have 12V and 120V connected at the same time? I am about to build a relay disconnect so I can have both connected but when there is 120V it opens a relay for the 12V feed. Sounds like a stupid way around a problem that nobody will tell me what it is. Just a cryptic line in the manual that says don't connect both at the same time and one random post about it will set the fridge on fire.

Because they screwed up the engineering of the CFX3's. The earlier CFX's allow this (I have one of each), and it's incredibly useful (e.g., if you have 120V when driving, as I do). I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet.

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Hi thanks for your response, sadly nothing in the manuel explained what those numbers/settings are. Could you ask someone more experienced if they cant assist me? Thanks

We talked to an engineer overseas and it seems that this is the first version of CFX from around 2012.

I sent a screenshot of the photos provide in the link and their response is below.

The code in photo shall be: press “SET” for 2-3 seconds, can set “year”, “month”, “day”, “hour” and “minute”, change setting by up/down. (Digit tube cannot show character like “m”)

Usually after flashing several times, it will back to offset (current temperature). If it does not work, pls power off then power on.

This function is to export temperature data. Early CFX had a SD card port.

In 2012, we had “medical” version and standard version. They shared the same Circuit board

In around 2013, the “medical” version was no longer needed. So we removed logic and hardware related to it, including function above.

image001.png

With that being said, none of these settings are anything that you need to adjust. Interesting find though and given the unit’s age it’s good to see it’s still in use ?

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

lemonfox91

We talked to an engineer overseas and it seems that this is the first version of CFX from around 2012.

I sent a screenshot of the photos provide in the link and their response is below.

The code in photo shall be: press “SET” for 2-3 seconds, can set “year”, “month”, “day”, “hour” and “minute”, change setting by up/down. (Digit tube cannot show character like “m”)

Usually after flashing several times, it will back to offset (current temperature). If it does not work, pls power off then power on.

This function is to export temperature data. Early CFX had a SD card port.

In 2012, we had “medical” version and standard version. They shared the same Circuit board

In around 2013, the “medical” version was no longer needed. So we removed logic and hardware related to it, including function above.

View attachment 745076

With that being said, none of these settings are anything that you need to adjust. Interesting find though and given the unit’s age it’s good to see it’s still in use ?

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

Thanks for that, That's the answer I was looking for as i been asking everywhere and most people just tell me to read the manual.

I have been curious also about energy efficiency because the new CFX3s are said to be more "energy efficient" yet it is stated that for example, lets use the CFX3 35 says 0.98AH/h (Bluetooth on/WIFI off) while the older models state 0.77/AH/h. 0.2AH/h is quite the difference long term. If the bluetooth and wifi is off for the CFX3 what will be the AH/h?

What are the main differences that make the CFX3 better besides the WIFI/Bluetooth because I cannot see how its more energy efficient.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles