Looking to upgrade recovery gear. Long handle folding shovel, and tow rope recommendations.

dbhost

Simply put, I am looking to offload the logging chain from my recovery gear for safety sake, so I am looking for a tow rope that will handle high loads. Not needing a recover strap, have one already...

Also looking for a good, durable long handle folding shovel. I have the standard folding GI shovel but the handle is way too short for someone with back issues. Trying to minimize stooping...

I am looking to upgrade the 9K steel cable winch to a 12K synth cable winch, looking for low cost but good options there. Warn is NOT an option. Not in the budget. What can be had for say under $600.00 that won't be a dissapointment.

dstefan

Simply put, I am looking to offload the logging chain from my recovery gear for safety sake, so I am looking for a tow rope that will handle high loads. Not needing a recover strap, have one already...

Also looking for a good, durable long handle folding shovel. I have the standard folding GI shovel but the handle is way too short for someone with back issues. Trying to minimize stooping...

I am looking to upgrade the 9K steel cable winch to a 12K synth cable winch, looking for low cost but good options there. Warn is NOT an option. Not in the budget. What can be had for say under $600.00 that won't be a dissapointment.

Having back issues too, I got one of these:
It’s well built, works in both straight shovel and 90° trenching tool positions. It’s a bit too pretty, but that will change quickly.

It let me ditch my small folding shovel and regular home depot shovel, but so far haven’t had to use it on the field.

dbhost

Having back issues too, I got one of these:
It’s well built, works in both straight shovel and 90° trenching tool positions. It’s a bit too pretty, but that will change quickly.

It let me ditch my small folding shovel and regular home depot shovel, but so far haven’t had to use it on the field.

What's the length of that shovel folded up? I'm trying to stay under 20"

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Why do you want a "tow rope"?
I carry 2T straps (seat belt) of various lengths with loops at each end that can be joined together and I carry a winch extension rope.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

williaty

What about a takedown shovel like this? https://www.boss4x4.com/product-p/mmf6-shv.htm

It actually gets long enough to be useful with all the sections in but packs up pretty short.

EDIT: That's the only shovel of that type I've been able to find with a non-sand/snow blade (not a flat blade) on it so it's apropriate for digging in dirt and clay. If anyone knows of a competitive product, I'd love to hear it.

dbhost

Why do you want a "tow rope"?
I carry 2T straps (seat belt) of various lengths with loops at each end that can be joined together and I carry a winch extension rope.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Because I want extension for the winch line that isn't heavy and dangerous logging chain that I have used for decades. Yes I have reactive recovery straps, that isn't what I am looking for. Often the closest thing to hook to is over 100' away or more...

dbhost

Its longer than 20”, about 36ish. I just strap it with my MaxTrax. If you want to help your back, not sure how < 20” does it ?

Minimize stooping. I am talking 20" or so folded. Honestly something that screws together like a pool que and has a 36 or so handle would be fantastic. And yeah I am planning on stowing it in the bag with the traction boards. MaxTrax knockoffs...

dbhost

I did some, well, sizing, and to heck with folding. I am simply going to attach a standard fiberglass handle shovel to the roof rack next to the traction boards. Cheap, simple, less to break...

On the strapping, I was planning on going with a HF 12K winch which only has 65' of line. I opted for a different winch with 100' of line. I still have my Keeper strap, my tree saver strap, soft shackles etc... I am taking the logging chain out of the recovery bag as that thing weighs a ton and poses safety risks...

So my recovery kit should be farily well flushed out now. Oddly enough, I am considering getting a second set of traction boards. I know overkill...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles