OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

fmac

This looks great. I've used 8020 for roof racks and stuff, but hope to use it for cabinetry on this build, but I can never tell in photos how the wood is fastened to the extrusion?

Can you share any info or photos on how you attached it?

Hey, not the person you asked but you simply use T-nuts. It's easiest to fasten them to your hardware and then slide the whole panel in. You can also use the channel itself to secure a board (closing it in on all sides and fastening the 'box' together).

ns7i

This looks great. I've used 8020 for roof racks and stuff, but hope to use it for cabinetry on this build, but I can never tell in photos how the wood is fastened to the extrusion?

I built a floor/baseplate that is mounted to the bed using the bed bolts (well, actually they're somewhat longer than the OEM bed bolts). From there I use hammer in tee nuts on the bottom of the board. It's pretty solid but I'm not a huge fan of the hammer in Tee Nuts. A few of them failed after everything was already bolted down to the bed but fortunately I added enough mounting points that everything is still very solid.

ns7i

Maybe that didn't answer your question. The wood on top is attached using concealed (european) hinges. The wood on the sides is 1/4" plywood that slides into the extrusion channel.

ns7i

Love the setup, that looks great! I'm doing more of the "keep the truck bed utilitarian", but am planning on a similar back shelf like you have for your fridge. Do you think the shelves (right-side in picture) are sturdy enough to act as a step for an adult?
The benches are definitely strong enough to use as a shelf. The shelves (as I've built them) are not strong enough to use as a step. For one, it's just 1/4" plywood. It's also pretty tall with minimal support structure (keep in mind that the entire part of that structure that faces the rear of the truckbed is open for the fridge slide so it's really a 3 sided structure at the bottom). It's also not anchored to the camper part at all, just the baseplate. With some changes it could be strong enough to use as a step.

K9LTW

I had custom mattresses made from Foam Factory.

How thick did you go and which foam? From what I’m gathering, it seems 3” is about the limit with them stacked, even with the extra 2” of height. I’m wondering if they have a foam supportive enough for side sleeping at 3” that won’t have my hip bottoming out. But not so firm I may as well be sleeping on the floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ns7i

Nice build. What is the width of the aisle and if you had to do it over, what width would you use?
It's roughly 24" and I'm pretty happy with that width. It's wide enough that I can use it to store things, it's wide enough where even my German Shepherd can lay there. It feels like it's enough room for people to sit on each side and still have room, although in the 8 days of camping we've done with this setup we haven't had any inside time because the weather has been favorable.

ns7i

How thick did you go and which foam? From what I’m gathering, it seems 3” is about the limit with them stacked, even with the extra 2” of height. I’m wondering if they have a foam supportive enough for side sleeping at 3” that won’t have my hip bottoming out. But not so firm I may as well be sleeping on the floor

We used 3" HD36-HQ foam. It's pretty supportive and your hips won't bottom out. With that said, it's comfortable but not the most comfortable. Far more comfortable than sleeping pads or any kind of ground sleeping. I don't think I'd go any thicker for closing the top. We have the extra 2" and feel like we're at the limits for closing the rig although we do leave on flannel sheets, 2 pillows, and a wool blanket. You might be able to go 3.5" but I think 4" would be pushing it.

K9LTW

We used 3" HD36-HQ foam. It's pretty supportive and your hips won't bottom out. With that said, it's comfortable but not the most comfortable. Far more comfortable than sleeping pads or any kind of ground sleeping. I don't think I'd go any thicker for closing the top. We have the extra 2" and feel like we're at the limits for closing the rig although we do leave on flannel sheets, 2 pillows, and a wool blanket. You might be able to go 3.5" but I think 4" would be pushing it.

That’s perfect feedback, thank you! And if you’re getting sheets, a blanket, and pillows up there as well…easy peasy!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I just leave my bed deployed all the time. It's easy to put up and drop and leaves plenty of room for bedding even with my AF cabover (7"). I used two densities of foam, 2" of medium and 1" of firm. Works great.

AZflyer

For a mattress I use a tri-fold memory, full size I fold one side up and bring the top down, nice and secure.

I also added a BedRug mat only. This was a game changer, made this past trip more comfortable with the 2 dogs. And one more addition that was a big help with storage was adding this cargo net to the roof, I can access it with the top down and from the bed when open

sideburns

Idaho 2019 Nissan Frontier CC LWB
Hi,

What mattresses are you using (anyone else - feel free to chime in with your mattress suggestions)?

I'm using foamfactory.com 2" Lux HQ foam and 2" Dunlop Latex toppers for a 4" mattress. It only fits in the 10" cabover by pulling the doubled up mattress back so the hinge doesn't hit it, bedding gets pushed up under the hinge in front of the mattress. The latex is very heavy and it's fairly firm, very supportive but good pressure relief for side sleeping. I think the mattress is about 45lbs, and 2/3rds of it is the latex. Should probably have gotten 1" latex and 2" or 3" of a softer foam both for weight and a slightly softer mattress. I may do that and repurpose this mattress as bench cushions.

7000'Tundra

This is what I went with as well. Really comfy and my wife is happy with it (most important).

bonuscup

I'm about 3 months out from my install date and about to send in the specs for our build.

Of the folks who have had theirs now for a while and done a few trips, anything that you wouldn't live without now at this point and would recommend including? Or didn't include and wish you would have?

As of now we're going with anodized black, flip up doors both sides, barn doors w/ windows, 10" cabover, front window (non-sliding), maxxfan in/out, headliner, wired for solar, and roof rails. Planning to install a OVS 270 awning as well. Thx!

Last edited:

terrie

Of the folks who have had theirs now for a while and done a few trips, anything that you wouldn't live without now at this point and would recommend including? Or didn't include and wish you would have?

Mine is a bit further out but I'm also watching for answers to this.

I'm also interested in what anyone thinks of 5.5 vs. 6.5 ft beds. I am leaning toward a Tundra and liked the room inside a 6.5 ft bed. But 5.5 seems easier to find and might be an easier drive for me. (I work from home, so not a "daily" driver...but it would be my only vehicle.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles