Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

LunarErik

Mine feels bouncy and shaky when I’m on the highway. I’m trying to figure out if it’s a tire issue, shock or spring issue, or is it just the general driving characteristics when adding the camper. Both tires and suspension have less than 5k miles so I’m wondering if this is part of the course.

What suspension do you have in the rear?

Aleja_333

What suspension do you have in the rear?

Fox 2.5 remote reservoir with low and high speed compression adjustment tuned for my truck. Deavers rear springs stage 2. Had Stage 3 before and it was similar feel. Archive Garage Hammer hangers, shackles and cross bar.

When looking at this, it should be a very stable platform, but is not.

LunarErik

Fox 2.5 remote reservoir with low and high speed compression adjustment tuned for my truck. Deavers rear springs stage 2. Had Stage 3 before and it was similar feel. Archive Garage Hammer hangers, shackles and cross bar.

I agree that should be a stable platform. My first guess would be leaf spring rate, then shock dampening, but judging by your setup, I would assume you already looked into that. I wonder if the hangers have anything to do with it?

Mtpisgah

I had issues with my Gladiator so installed Fox 2.5s and Dobinsons HD coils. I ended up having to crank both of the adjustments all the way up and it helped a lot.

Aleja_333

I agree that should be a stable platform. My first guess would be leaf spring rate, then shock dampening, but judging by your setup, I would assume you already looked into that. I wonder if the hangers have anything to do with it?

I'm guessing leaf springs too. Stage 2 might be too soft and Stage 3 was too stiff. Kind of need something in between.

My shocks were tuned for the weight, but that's not to say that maybe the weight the tuner used is still too light. Maybe it needs a stiffer valving. But this is one of those things that I would be throwing darts in the dark.

Aleja_333

I had issues with my Gladiator so installed Fox 2.5s and Dobinsons HD coils. I ended up having to crank both of the adjustments all the way up and it helped a lot.

Interesting. What kind of issues were you experiencing with your Gladiator?

I adjusted both high and low speed all the way firm, let's see how it rides.

Mtpisgah

Interesting. What kind of issues were you experiencing with your Gladiator?

I adjusted both high and low speed all the way firm, let's see how it rides.

It was bouncing really bad. It still does it a little, but does not make me want to go back to stock. I only replaced the rear shocks but plan to do the front this fall.

timsuchocki

For the Tacoma owners with the canopy camper, I have a couple of questions.

What’s your mpg with the camper?
How’s the drive characteristics on the highway?

Mine feels bouncy and shaky when I’m on the highway. I’m trying to figure out if it’s a tire issue, shock or spring issue, or is it just the general driving characteristics when adding the camper. Both tires and suspension have less than 5k miles so I’m wondering if this is part of the course.

Any other truck models are welcome to chime in as well. I’m curious about how anyone else truck drives.
I have a 6ft bed Tacoma and live in Wisconsin where the speed limit on the main highways is 70. I usually drive about 80 and my milage averages between 15 and 16. I have seen it as low as 8 with a heavy foot and a head wind though. :eek:

I don't really notice a difference in how it drives since the camper was installed. It is a little louder (although I did take out my back seat to install a fridge, which took away some of the sound dampening). I did install air bags in the rear before the camper went on which helps with the ride, I'm sure.

Aleja_333

I have a 6ft bed Tacoma and live in Wisconsin where the speed limit on the main highways is 70. I usually drive about 80 and my milage averages between 15 and 16. I have seen it as low as 8 with a heavy foot and a head wind though. :eek:

I don't really notice a difference in how it drives since the camper was installed. It is a little louder (although I did take out my back seat to install a fridge, which took away some of the sound dampening). I did install air bags in the rear before the camper went on which helps with the ride, I'm sure.

I've been recently thinking about airbags. I would agree that it probably helps to dampen all the imperfections on the highway that might be exacerbated by a soft valving.

seatoskyexplorer

For the Tacoma owners with the canopy camper, I have a couple of questions.

What’s your mpg with the camper?
How’s the drive characteristics on the highway?

Any other truck models are welcome to chime in as well. I’m curious about how anyone else truck drives.
Mine feels good on the highway, only noticeable difference is a tiny bit more body roll when cornering at high speed, otherwise it’s smooth.
A shaky feeling could indicate a tire balancing issue, I have experienced that in the past. Have you recently rotated your tires and if so, has it become more noticeable since then?

Aleja_333

Mine feels good on the highway, only noticeable difference is a tiny bit more body roll when cornering at high speed, otherwise it’s smooth.
A shaky feeling could indicate a tire balancing issue, I have experienced that in the past. Have you recently rotated your tires and if so, has it become more noticeable since then?

I've wonder about this too. I haven't rotated the tires recently but it's been feeeling like this since the previous set of tires. I can't imagine every set I get it's unbalanced. Small chance but definitely a possibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior