Best tools for visualizing gps data?

4000lbsOfGoat

Greetings fellow adventurists!

I just finished a 13 month, 16,000 mile trip around the US West and I find myself with a whole lot of track\waypoint data. All of this data has been collected with a Garmin Overlander and inReach mini. I'd like to put together some nice visualizations of my route data but I've come to find that the Garmin Explore website is just this side of useless. I'd like to get the data exported out of Garmin and into some more useful platform. I'm looking for suggestions for tools that will do a better job of visualizing my data than what Explore can do. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

2.ooohhh

4000lbsOfGoat

Thanks for the feedback! I'll check these out when I have chance and let you know if I've got any questions.

Cheers!

The_Squid

ArcGIS is expensive and not the most intuitive software.

QGIS is free and will be more compatible with GPS data. You may need some experience with GIS applications to use it though. Or there will be a learning curve.

You could also put the tracks into Google Earth.

alanymarce

Official OziExplorer Web Site - GPS Mapping Software for Tracking and Navigation. Supports Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance and GPS
Been using this for 20 years. Software updates are still free.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
If only there was a Mac version.... : (

I use Garmin Connect to capture and display GPX files and the maps are good, in my view. The data are useful, and it's handy for giving others insight into travel times, speeds, elevation, and so on.

If it's just a matter of giving people an idea where you are then Tripline is simple to keep up to date, however it's just a map with your route, entered "manually" - no link to GPS data (that I know).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles