Need help: Which trailer works best for us?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
A quick update friends, we reached a lot about Taxa Mantis, it seems that fits us very well. Except water tank is not available for use in winter, but people saying the cabin is warm enough for 10- 20F with or without pop up. More than one owners in their FB owner group used it for ski trip, so might work for us too.

We actually like the design ( milk crates for storage, steel frame with hook up points everywhere, modular functionality and modern/mcm aesthetics) .

As far as we research, the leaking problem should be invested intensively and solved over the past years. It might not be on par with Kimberley quality wise, but the price point and functionalities suit us very well. Also we have a local dealer. And it’s light and not too bulky for either towing or towing. We are seriously considering it now.
I think you could very easily install a tank heater pad and resolve that issue.

goodol

I think you could very easily install a tank heater pad and resolve that issue.

Thank you. We are thinking about that too. Also our dealer said they might be able to do something, just not sure how well it will perform in extremely cold nights. anyhow our family agree to make this sacrifice while all other boxes checked ( looks like so) with 50K+ more cash in our packet compared to buying Karavan. We are talking to our local Taxa dealer tomorrow.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Thank you. We are thinking about that too. Also our dealer said they might be able to do something, just not sure how well it will perform in extremely cold nights. anyhow our family agree to make this sacrifice while all other boxes checked ( looks like so) with 50K+ more cash in our packet compared to buying Karavan. We are talking to our local Taxa dealer tomorrow.
You guys are going to love it. Its easy to make this camper safe down to 10-20 deg. There are a ton of heaters, wraps, etc.. Congrats!

rehammer81

Ask your dealer about frame issues. I believe the Taxa trailers were having some frame issues awhile back. I don't remember any details.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

A quick update friends, we researched a lot about Taxa Mantis, it seems that fits us very well. Except water tank is not available for use in winter, but people saying the cabin is warm enough for 10- 20F with or without pop up. More than one owners in their FB owner group used it for ski trip, so might work for us too.

We actually like the design ( milk crates for storage, steel frame with hook up points everywhere, modular functionality and modern/mcm aesthetics) .

As far as we research, the leaking problem should be invested intensively and solved over the past years. It might not be on par with Kimberley quality wise, but the price point and functionalities suit us very well. Also we have a local dealer. And it’s light and not too bulky for either towing or towing. We are seriously considering it now.

Totally understand as the Mantis checks a lot of boxes. I hope you are looking at the Overland which will negate all the axel issues. With out the Overland your looking at less the 12" of ground clearance. The 14" you get is bare minimum in my opinion.

goodol

Ask your dealer about frame issues. I believe the Taxa trailers were having some frame issues awhile back. I don't remember any details.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yeah, according to the research, the Cricket had suspension issues for the earlier models, but mantis should never had one, and the current suspension works well. I will double confirm that, thanks for your reminder.

goodol

Totally understand as the Mantis checks a lot of boxes. I hope you are looking at the Overland which will negate all the axel issues. With out the Overland your looking at less the 12" of ground clearance. The 14" you get is bare minimum in my opinion.

Yes we are looking at the Overland edition. The price had gone up so much, but still a lot less than Karavan. Might not hold the value as good as it, but we are fine.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Yes we are looking at the Overland edition. The price had gone up so much, but still a lot less than Karavan. Might not hold the value as good as it, but we are fine.

Yes maybe be gentle when the road gets rough. Plan on replacing mattress cushions. Keep an eye on riviots and the framing around rear door has cracked in older model's. Also the front stab jacks are at very low points and I have heard that folks have been busting those off. In person they seem like a pretty long trailer. Website says 19 feet but I would confirm that. Have they speced the Overland with better electrical equipment for solor and Lithium?

goodol

Yes maybe be gentle when the road gets rough. Plan on replacing mattress cushions. Keep an eye on riviots and the framing around rear door has cracked in older model's. Also the front stab jacks are at very low points and I have heard that folks have been busting those off. In person they seem like a pretty long trailer. Website says 19 feet but I would confirm that. Have they speced the Overland with better electrical equipment for solor and Lithium?

Thanks for the tips.

No, I don’t think so. We plan to upgrade to lithium batteries and add inverter through the dealer.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
A quick update friends, we researched a lot about Taxa Mantis, it seems that fits us very well. Except water tank is not available for use in winter, but people saying the cabin is warm enough for 10- 20F with or without pop up. More than one owners in their FB owner group used it for ski trip, so might work for us too.

Taxa is offering buyers $2000 rebate right now. Thats after you buy it. Meaning don’t let the dealer price your Rebate into their over priced price. Pre COvid loaded a Mantis was $34,000-$35,000. Then around 2021 the dealers went stupid and they were popping up in the $50’s??.
The current AC layout was a redesign to fix a AC issue where the AC units were over heating.
The Truma system is pretty much the best for the $ in heating options for water and heating the space.
Go look at them. Some families have slung a kids bunk across the width at the top of the hard wall at the back of the trailer to open up the front space for one roomy bunk.
The top bunk is very tight regarding head room. Most dads have rigged up added width to the bottom bunk to make it wider and more comfortable. If I get one, I will need to lower the bottom bunk and the top bunk or remove the bottom bunk and put a backpackers cot on the floor, lower the top bunk and widen it so that my kids had enough head room and width to make it work.

Leaks are going to be a constant chase you will need a sealant type tape on hand. I would likely get sail tape in colors that don’t mis match badly and use that to tape up canvas spots, and roofing issues causing leaks. No way around that with those trailers.
You need to be cautious with creasing or damaging the Aluminum foam sandwich panels just the nature of that material. Would I pay $45,000? No. Its a $35,000-$36,000 trailer.

The typical GeoPro 19 Bunk houses pre pandemic were $19,000-$20,000. Right now nothing is selling and dealers are also trying to wait out buyers given they are flush with cash from the covid stupidity.
Negotiate the Taxa into the $35,000 ish range then apply for the manufacture $2000 rebate. Do not let the dealer take your rebate?

Reactions: GHI

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Taxa axle issues affected all the trailers!!’ Their supplier had multiple issues regarding parts that weren’t made to spec, etc. The overland model has a different axle and less issues but it also will not fit my garage.. Yes its ride height is higher making garage fit a no go for my case.
I would likely end up changing the axle setup anyway on the standard trailer again its not high quality same stuff found on Geopro for example. So again the trailer prices are largely being driven by its unique look and design and not all better materials etc.

Very important to understand these when negotiating prices

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Taxa trailer frames are definitely very lightweight and not built as heavy as the typical Indiana RV junk. If you pack heavy or go over board on stuff stacked and bolted to the tongue you can have frame issues.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My version of the Mantis?
Front bunks setup for real human sized kids which means floor level lower bunk and mid wall height upper bunks. Those flip up for storage gear room in road mode.
Morryde air suspension setup like what Geo/E pro has on their 19FBTH. Which allows you to adjust both ride quality and ride height based on weight or height lowering need for garage access via air pump.
In a pinch you can raise it via air pump to get the trailer over a obstacle etc.
Not a high cost option its about $600 more than the cheap suspension used on the Overland model with no adjustability

goodol

Taxa is offering buyers $2000 rebate right now. Thats after you buy it. Meaning don’t let the dealer price your Rebate into their over priced price. Pre COvid loaded a Mantis was $34,000-$35,000. Then around 2021 the dealers went stupid and they were popping up in the $50’s??.
The current AC layout was a redesign to fix a AC issue where the AC units were over heating.
The Truma system is pretty much the best for the $ in heating options for water and heating the space.
Go look at them. Some families have slung a kids bunk across the width at the top of the hard wall at the back of the trailer to open up the front space for one roomy bunk.
The top bunk is very tight regarding head room. Most dads have rigged up added width to the bottom bunk to make it wider and more comfortable. If I get one, I will need to lower the bottom bunk and the top bunk or remove the bottom bunk and put a backpackers cot on the floor, lower the top bunk and widen it so that my kids had enough head room and width to make it work.

Leaks are going to be a constant chase you will need a sealant type tape on hand. I would likely get sail tape in colors that don’t mis match badly and use that to tape up canvas spots, and roofing issues causing leaks. No way around that with those trailers.
You need to be cautious with creasing or damaging the Aluminum foam sandwich panels just the nature of that material. Would I pay $45,000? No. Its a $35,000-$36,000 trailer.

The typical GeoPro 19 Bunk houses pre pandemic were $19,000-$20,000. Right now nothing is selling and dealers are also trying to wait out buyers given they are flush with cash from the covid stupidity.
Negotiate the Taxa into the $35,000 ish range then apply for the manufacture $2000 rebate. Do not let the dealer take your rebate?

We will think about the bunkers later, now they are four and six, should be fine.

As for the price, we looked at a bunch of different trailers, US made and AUS made, nothing hybrid in that price range, sadly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles