Need help: Which trailer works best for us?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I am excited for you those S3 are cool!! One last point as I am probably bugging you. Ten times better then High Altitude Trailer, RKS, Boreas and Mission Overland I don't think so.
I agree. I like the ROV guy's, I think they do a good job, and most that deal with them are pretty happy. I think that they are too "YOU TUBE" influenced, acting too much like a BS influencer that have become so Full of it. It they could just keep it real, they will do better.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I agree. I like the ROV guy's, I think they do a good job, and most that deal with them are pretty happy. I think that they are too "YOU TUBE" influenced, acting too much like a BS influencer that have become so Full of it. It they could just keep it real, they will do better.

I just think the can't help themselves. They gave the impression that were some sort of partners with IO but I don't think they had any choice in the prices set by IO. So they came up with this brilliant marketing Strategy of claiming its the best in the world and picking a 200k Bruder to compare it to. Funny thing is folks will buy it.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I just think the can't help themselves. They gave the impression that were some sort of partners with IO but I don't think they had any choice in the prices set by IO. So they came up with this brilliant marketing Strategy of claiming its the best in the world and picking a 200k Bruder to compare it to. Funny thing is folks will buy it.
Many will buy into the hype, and is it nice. I do think that a lot of folks that will spend this much money are very aware, and even taken back by the fake, fabricated You Tube crap.

Treefarmer

It's built to go off road and stay there for a month.

NH are high end!
We did the same thing with ours. We boondock 365 days a year and don't even carry a power cord. Our next trailer will be smaller (from a 31' 5th wheel to a 23'-25' bumper pull) , but still able to do the same with the added benefit of some more off road capability. Although our big 5th wheel has an independent suspension and can handle some nice dips through the arroyos, I would most definitely not call it "off road".

Treefarmer

For everyone speculating on the construction methods/materials and cold capability, it turns out the -40 degrees initial claim on the bigger Roamer1 has been modified. The ROA website now says good down to -20 to -30 degrees. That's still exceptional. I would encourage them to always be realistic on their claims rather than overly optimistic with them. Under promise and over deliver is almost always better than overhype and then later downgrade.

Alloy

We did the same thing with ours. We boondock 365 days a year and don't even carry a power cord. Our next trailer will be smaller (from a 31' 5th wheel to a 23'-25' bumper pull) , but still able to do the same with the added benefit of some more off road capability. Although our big 5th wheel has an independent suspension and can handle some nice dips through the arroyos, I would most definitely not call it "off road".

I think NH is missing out on the Overland market. When I spoke with them they were "comfortable" with Morryde IS. It's better than leafs but not as good as air. With full air I get 20" of ground clearance.

We're also looking at smaller as well. Trailer is great to base camp for weeks and explore but not to road trip and explore. We are exploring the idea of a truck camper + gooseneck trailer with heat/ tanks/solar/storage to carry the camper when base camping.

Treefarmer

I think NH is missing out on the Overland market. When I spoke with them they were "comfortable" with Morryde IS. It's better than leafs but not as good as air. With full air I get 20" of ground clearance.

We're also looking at smaller as well. Trailer is great to base camp for weeks and explore but not to road trip and explore. We are exploring the idea of a truck camper + gooseneck trailer with heat/ tanks/solar/storage to carry the camper when base camping.
Yeah, NH needs to build ginormous luxury trailers to meet their margin requirements (they don't make very many units each year). We were probably one of the last "smaller" 5th wheels they built. It's easily towable with an F350. I'm not sure there is a suspension in existence that could turn a NH 5th wheel into a real off road towable. They are now just too big, heavy, and low to the ground I smile when people here talk about $150k being expensive for a trailer. You probably couldn't buy an NH now for less than $250k. But again, totally different market/application.

Alloy

For everyone speculating on the construction methods/materials and cold capability, it turns out the -40 degrees initial claim on the bigger Roamer1 has been modified. The ROA website now says good down to -20 to -30 degrees. That's still exceptional. I would encourage them to always be realistic on their claims rather than overly optimistic with them. Under promise and over deliver is almost always better than overhype and then later downgrade.
You're beliving this stuff? How about another senario.....one night at those temps and you're locked inside due to condensation freezing the door and windows shut. You can't get out because the coroplast on the basement with no insulation means the tank heater drained the battery so the hair dryer can't be used to melt the ice.

Last edited:

Treefarmer

You're beliving this stuff? How about another senario.....one night at those temps and you're locked inside due to condensation freezing the door and windows shut. You can't get out because the coroplast on the basement with no insulation means the tank heater drained the battery so the hair dryer can't be used to melt the ice.
I suppose if it was me, I'd just go back to bed for a few hours, and when I woke up again I'd start happy hour early. Moral of the story: Always keep enough alcohol and food on board to last until thaw.
This is why having real testing data on these claims is so important. As far as I know Truma operates the only RV cold testing chamber in the US. The Ember claims they managed down to 0 degrees in the chamber without plumbing failures. Too bad there's no peer reviewed technical journal for the RV industry where these and other torture tests could be vetted.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I suppose if it was me, I'd just go back to bed for a few hours, and when I woke up again I'd start happy hour early. Moral of the story: Always keep enough alcohol and food on board to last until thaw.
This is why having real testing data on these claims is so important. As far as I know Truma operates the only RV cold testing chamber in the US. The Ember claims they managed down to 0 degrees in the chamber without plumbing failures. Too bad there's no peer reviewed technical journal for the RV industry where these and other torture tests could be vetted.
No way are they sharing any data, just not going to happen. I have noticed in Australia, they call out BS pretty hard.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think that a 40 below claim is a little much, but honestly, its like a sleeping bag that has a -20 rating, survivable yes, comfortable? I am pretty savvy when it comes to quality, and it is really good, frame/suspension is excellent. Hardware, fasteners were top notch. My negatives were the drawers, the Kimberley are all metal which I personally prefer, and I understand why the tongue is so long, its gives a great turning radius, but they could have had a 16 foot box with the same overall length, that would have been worth it over a little better turning radius. It make the sitting area too small. they did a great job wiring the trailer, this is so important for long term reliability. What ROA needs to quit saying is "Best trailer in the world" What they need to say is its on par with the some of the best trailers made. Its clearly not the best trailer in the world, that is a very bold statement.
ROA is pretty Hype tastic. Go look through their YouTube content. Everything is Amazing magical stuff!!! They are selling more hype than product?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah, NH needs to build ginormous luxury trailers to meet their margin requirements (they don't make very many units each year). We were probably one of the last "smaller" 5th wheels they built. It's easily towable with an F350. I'm not sure there is a suspension in existence that could turn a NH 5th wheel into a real off road towable. They are now just too big, heavy, and low to the ground I smile when people here talk about $150k being expensive for a trailer. You probably couldn't buy an NH now for less than $250k. But again, totally different market/application.
$250k has me in land purchases and decent home purchases especially with RV financing?.

Treefarmer

ROA is pretty Hype tastic. Go look through their YouTube content. Everything is Amazing magical stuff!!! They are selling more hype than product?
I do wish they would tone it down a little. You can get new trailer fatigue when everything they add is always the best all over again. They have enough quality in the brands they carry and a high enough service standard that they don't need to claim that whatever they're reviewing at the time is the best. But then again, maybe that's what you need to do to grow your business these days. I always hated marketing classes.

goodol

A quick update friends, we researched a lot about Taxa Mantis, it seems that fits us very well. Except water tank is not available for use in winter, but people saying the cabin is warm enough for 10- 20F with or without pop up. More than one owners in their FB owner group used it for ski trip, so might work for us too.

We actually like the design ( milk crates for storage, steel frame with hook up points everywhere, modular functionality and modern/mcm aesthetics) .

As far as we research, the leaking problem should be invested intensively and solved over the past years. It might not be on par with Kimberley quality wise, but the price point and functionalities suit us very well. Also we have a local dealer. And it’s light and not too bulky for either towing or towing. We are seriously considering it now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne