Ram 2500 long term reliability

chet6.7

Explorer
IMO, get a 3500. I few days ago I got a check engine light NOX sensor circuit performance performance bank 1. I cleared it and have put a few miles on the truck going up my local grade at 2500 RPM. The code has not come back yet, but I was getting ready to leave on an interstate trip. I don't know if this will cause the truck to go into a 5MPH countdown mode or not like a bad DEF code will. The bad DEF code is another issue, I put DEF in before my trip and drive around for a few days to see if I get a code. I love the Cummins engine, but I don't trust this truck.

NorCalBronco

Observer
I have a 2015 ram 2500 diesel. The space and power is amazing and it does ok off road with some decent tires on it. Towing is amazing and I can't imagine towing heavy loads without the exhaust break now. In tow/haul mode with the exhaust break the truck pretty much takes care of braking for you. As for the bad.... Within the first two years of ownership the turbo actuator broke throwing a MIL. It was replaced under warranty but the cost would have been thousands to have the dealer do it. It got replaced with the same part number so only a matter of time until it happens again.... Just this year I got a letter from Ram saying they are warrantying that particular part until 150k miles because they know it sucks for my year truck. The shocks have squeaked since I have got it which is annoying. I had to redo all the brake pads early because one of the caliper slider pins rusted and didn't slide anymore and wore down that sides pads into a wedge shape (I live in california so mild climate with little water). A couple weeks ago the truck said it was going to put itself into limp mode in 150 miles because of "incorrect" def and to see a dealer. I've bought the same def since I bought the truck and its all certified the same so I dont know what happened. I definitely did NOT want to go to a dealer since it is now out of warranty and I can only imagine what they would charge. I ended up disconnecting the filler hose from the def tank and siphoning all the def that was in it out and then refilling with a new bottle of the same stuff and the truck threatening me with limp mode thankfully went away later that day. You also need to change two fuel filters every 15k miles along with feeding an apparently very sensitive emissions system with def somewhat regularly. The rear coils ride nice most of the time but with the crappy shocks and even carrying my light weight shell model FWC the side-to-side roll is worse then it was with my old F150. On top of all that the heavy weight just eats tires. I put in a nice after market headunit, amp and speakers because the stock mid trim level sound system was horrible. Later the next year I realized my heated seats and steering wheel would not turn on for more than a second or so. After the dealership had the truck for two separate entire weeks and replaced all heating coils and controls, it turns out that even though they have physical switches when I replaced the stock stereo the truck no longer knows how to operate the heated seats and wheel which is beyond stupid if you ask me. Lately I've been missing my half ton gas truck even if the MPGs are a bit worse and even thinking about getting a 90's truck to avoid sensitive emissions and unnecessary dependencies on the electronics.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have a 2015 ram 2500 diesel. The space and power is amazing and it does ok off road with some decent tires on it. Towing is amazing and I can't imagine towing heavy loads without the exhaust break now. In tow/haul mode with the exhaust break the truck pretty much takes care of braking for you. As for the bad.... Within the first two years of ownership the turbo actuator broke throwing a MIL. It was replaced under warranty but the cost would have been thousands to have the dealer do it. It got replaced with the same part number so only a matter of time until it happens again.... Just this year I got a letter from Ram saying they are warrantying that particular part until 150k miles because they know it sucks for my year truck. The shocks have squeaked since I have got it which is annoying. I had to redo all the brake pads early because one of the caliper slider pins rusted and didn't slide anymore and wore down that sides pads into a wedge shape (I live in california so mild climate with little water). A couple weeks ago the truck said it was going to put itself into limp mode in 150 miles because of "incorrect" def and to see a dealer. I've bought the same def since I bought the truck and its all certified the same so I dont know what happened. I definitely did NOT want to go to a dealer since it is now out of warranty and I can only imagine what they would charge. I ended up disconnecting the filler hose from the def tank and siphoning all the def that was in it out and then refilling with a new bottle of the same stuff and the truck threatening me with limp mode thankfully went away later that day. You also need to change two fuel filters every 15k miles along with feeding an apparently very sensitive emissions system with def somewhat regularly. The rear coils ride nice most of the time but with the crappy shocks and even carrying my light weight shell model FWC the side-to-side roll is worse then it was with my old F150. On top of all that the heavy weight just eats tires. I put in a nice after market headunit, amp and speakers because the stock mid trim level sound system was horrible. Later the next year I realized my heated seats and steering wheel would not turn on for more than a second or so. After the dealership had the truck for two separate entire weeks and replaced all heating coils and controls, it turns out that even though they have physical switches when I replaced the stock stereo the truck no longer knows how to operate the heated seats and wheel which is beyond stupid if you ask me. Lately I've been missing my half ton gas truck even if the MPGs are a bit worse and even thinking about getting a 90's truck to avoid sensitive emissions and unnecessary dependencies on the electronics.
Hit "Enter" occassionally. It'll create paragraphs and make it easier to read.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I’ve had a few Cummins equipped Dodge and Rams. Loved the engine enough to put up with the rest of the truck. The last two(2011 & 2017) had seat wear through at less than 36,000 miles. Both cloth. The 2017 had a broken window part in the door at 28k. Nothing major, but definitely annoying. I was also starting to understand why 2500 owners upgrade the rear track bar. An issue I’d not had with the 2011 3500. Both left my possession shortly after the 36k warranty was up. I’m sure a hemi would have cost me some money to bail out so early in ownership. Both of them held value nicely. I wasn’t able to sell myself on getting another, but I sure do miss that engine.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I’ve had a few Cummins equipped Dodge and Rams. Loved the engine enough to put up with the rest of the truck. The last two(2011 & 2017) had seat wear through at less than 36,000 miles. Both cloth. The 2017 had a broken window part in the door at 28k. Nothing major, but definitely annoying. I was also starting to understand why 2500 owners upgrade the rear track bar. An issue I’d not had with the 2011 3500. Both left my possession shortly after the 36k warranty was up. I’m sure a hemi would have cost me some money to bail out so early in ownership. Both of them held value nicely. I wasn’t able to sell myself on getting another, but I sure do miss that engine.
So what did you replace it with?

plumber mike

Adventurer
So what did you replace it with?
The 2011 got replaced with a used V10/ZF6 super duty and the 2017 got replaced with a 7.3 Alumaduty.

I ended up downsizing significantly during Covid and am now running around in a new 4 cylinder Silverado 1500 that has a bit more payload than a power wagon (19xx# on the sticker IIRC). It’s actually been a pretty decent and capable truck so far. Less work and more travel has allowed me to get a half ton for the first time in a long time. The smooth ride and decent fuel economy have been nice.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The 2011 got replaced with a used V10/ZF6 super duty and the 2017 got replaced with a 7.3 Alumaduty.

I ended up downsizing significantly during Covid and am now running around in a new 4 cylinder Silverado 1500 that has a bit more payload than a power wagon (19xx# on the sticker IIRC). It’s actually been a pretty decent and capable truck so far. Less work and more travel has allowed me to get a half ton for the first time in a long time. The smooth ride and decent fuel economy have been nice.
Right. I think we discussed it elsewhere here.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Right. I think we discussed it elsewhere here.
I think it was the half vs 3/4 ton thread.

I’ve had the good fortune due to my line of work to be able to purchase and use far more trucks than a lot of folks. Unfortunately for us, Ram has had the most issues out of all of them. GM’s have probably been the lowest cost of ownership for us, and Fords have always been best at packing more weight than we really should.
I really like Nissans but am not a brand loyalist by any means. Just sharing my personal experience that kept me personally from purchasing another Ram. It’s a bummer because the Cummins is by far my favorite engine EVER!

Del Gue

Observer
A few years ago we upgraded our tow rig to match a 31' 7,600 GVWR travel trailer. Being a bit uneducated (i.e. payload) and pressed for time to get a new rig, I started with a 2016 Ram Power Wagon. Plenty of power, fun to drive when not towing. The payload and range quickly became an issue for long trips (over 250-500 miles with some being several thousand mile trips out west). I then errored on the side of overkill and moved up to a 2017 Ram 3500 SRW with a HO/Aisin 6.7 with the automatic level rear air suspension and an 8ft bed.

-Auto leveling air is awesome for hooking up and towing a lot being able to adjust the height of the truck with a push of a button and never have any rear sag
-8 ft bed is a game changer for hauling gear, mountain bikes, firewood, generator, cooler, etc

The thought process was to have ample payload, range, cargo and carrying capacity for our family and all gear and be able to have a truck that could pull camper and have enough payload to handle a different setup (truck camper, fifth wheel, heavier camper).

-The HO/Aisin is a stout combination but the trade off is fuel mileage. I don't mind the firm shifts.
-The HO tuning and lower compression ratio over the SO Cummins yields towing mileage of 11-12 MPG and unloaded/not towing highway mileage of 16-18.
-The SO Cummins will deliver better mileage due to the tuning and higher compression ratio.

The issues I have had with the truck have all been tied to emission components. Failed EGR Cooler at 72k miles (replaced under Certified Used warranty within 3k of ownership). EGR Valve check engine light. I would advise you to purchase what you can afford to acquire and maintain and consider range as a factor. If your trips and travels are all within a few hundred miles, the gas 3/4 or 1 ton trucks (or F150 with heavy duty payload package) will do the trick especially with the 8 and 10 speed transmissions. However, 500 miles in a day behind a modern diesel is a joy. They pull without breaking a sweat and do it all day between 1,500 and 2,200 rpms which is very comfortable :)

Last edited:

billiebob

The power wagon suspension is not ideal for heavy payload.
EXACTLY

The Powerwagon is built to articulate over rough terrain.... not be a 2500 series pickup.
Trucks built to carry a maximum load are built for level roads.
Most half tons can carry more than a Powerwagon.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
For sure, it's tough to design a truck that does everything well. Let me know if they build one.
ford-super-duty-tremor-winch.jpg

Tremor Super Duty.

Comes in 3/4 or 1 ton
Gas or Diesel
Available factory winch
Better payload and towing
More interior space
Gives up some articulation and has a larger turning circle than Power Wagon
Over all a pretty good all around truck.

Too bad you can't get the Super Duty Tremor in XLT trim anymore. Lariat and up only now. Maybe that will change for 2023?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online