1120 AF Build in Norway

Geo.Lander

RUB has arrived and assembly of the steps is underway at AV! The truck is still away at paint.
We are opting to have the subframe painted too even though it is already galvanised. The RUB bar has also been galvanised as it will be in the thick of the elements in during the winter. As soon as the truck arrives back I will be blasting the chassis and components with lano film too.

The RUB bar will be fitted alongside 2 custom tow hooks. there are actually 3 * 2" receivers on the bar:
image008.png

AV starting to assemble the steps, I am really happy with the design they came up with in the end, there have been numerous design iterations and we feel the final version utilising IGUS flange bearings will make the whole unit serviceable, robust and smooth to operate.
Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 11.33.46.png
image010.jpg

cfpirate

The steps look awesome, however note the way the door swings. It swings into the step making entry into camper very difficult. Suggest door swing the other way or steps on other side of rear wheel going the other way.

Geo.Lander

The steps look awesome, however note the way the door swings. It swings into the step making entry into camper very difficult. Suggest door swing the other way or steps on other side of rear wheel going the other way.

Nice catch, the door is orientated correctly irl ?

palebluewanders

Hmm, we'll have to do some calculations and see if 100A will suffice for us. I have no idea yet how complicated/expensive it would be to add a second one, heh. Thanks for the lithium starter battery idea, very interesting. Mine were just replaced two mechanics ago but would be good to know how they do in your truck for future reference.

Geo.Lander

Hmm, we'll have to do some calculations and see if 100A will suffice for us. I have no idea yet how complicated/expensive it would be to add a second one, heh. Thanks for the lithium starter battery idea, very interesting. Mine were just replaced two mechanics ago but would be good to know how they do in your truck for future reference.

if you have a good place for them it's not worth the upgrade imo, our starter batteries are placed in the driver's cab to keep our main toolboxes free for gear. Hence don't want those lead acid gasses,I suppose one could argue agm is the way to go then. But prices are closing in and lighter, smaller more powerful batteries just seem like the right choice, especially when they will most probably outlive every other component, just one thing less to worry about and maintain.

687DAD53-38C0-4DC1-AA8D-7283354544A3.jpeg

palebluewanders

if you have a good place for them it's not worth the upgrade imo, our starter batteries are placed in the driver's cab to keep our main toolboxes free for gear. Hence don't want those lead acid gasses,I suppose one could argue agm is the way to go then. But prices are closing in and lighter, smaller more powerful batteries just seem like the right choice, especially when they will most probably outlive every other component, just one thing less to worry about and maintain.

Yeah I'm not in any rush, we'll be able to use our current ones for years. But eventually will have to replace them and lithium could be the way to go. Ours are currently outside but may need to get moved around, we'll see.

Geo.Lander

Well, not much happening right now, holidays all over the EU but the truck is back from paint now at least, so we have one large green machine now! Everything is pretty much on schedule and we are waiting for our toolboxes, steps and water tank to be fitted, we should also have the roof rails for the box back any day now too! Slow but decent progress, we are hoping to have her back in Norway Oct/Nov time this year. We will have to chill a bit with the interior buildout as we just bought a new house in Sogndal, Norway :)

Anyway, here she is looking all green! Looking a bit naked without her skirts and boxes thou..
image001.jpg
image002.jpg

palebluewanders

Looking sooo fab! Curious on the water tank -- are AV going to secure this for you inside the box before the truck leaves their shop and if so now?

Geo.Lander

Looking sooo fab! Curious on the water tank -- are AV going to secure this for you inside the box before the truck leaves their shop and if so now?

For the fresh water there is a aluminium cradle that has been built under the bedframe, will be installed by AV along with an isotherm hot water tank, water pump and plumbed into the engine coolant line.

p16Q_cAMQll9g8odakIe5tIkEnHNzTeR9sLA8-wFEp3tGMV-NyN-fiuj7OGLOmXhySeu9J4bu2vJc2tMd6-ot6xUPJ3SmLSVy1a6ZJF7mhgqapW7c9EvWAWogcvqKoi5GYanR3XOLGCp

Grey water will also be installed by AV in-between the chassis rails in an insulated tank.

Attachments

• 1659453579215.png
    1659453579215.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 17.24.05.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 17.24.05.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 14

palebluewanders

Ah, nice. Do you know if the aluminum extrusion frame will be glued to the wall or just made to fit so snugly it doesn't go anywhere? We're planning on doing something similar but will prob do it ourselves.

Geo.Lander

Looks Brilliant, love the Colour

Neil

Thanks Niel! We thought it was a bit of a gamble on such a large surface but we are really happy with it so far, I think the black toolboxes and brush bars will work well with the green too.

Geo.Lander

Ah, nice. Do you know if the aluminum extrusion frame will be glued to the wall or just made to fit so snugly it doesn't go anywhere? We're planning on doing something similar but will prob do it ourselves.

Not extrusions but normal alu square tubing. It is bonded, When we build out the rest of the truck all the framing we will do ourselves will be 2020 and 3030/3040 extrusions. We will use a mixture of bonding and screws (for the parts that should be removable/modular). We have spec'd Armacell (GR200) in all the walls and sub-walls so thread hold will not be an issue, we hope :)

palebluewanders

Should be fine; I looked into the Sikaflex stuff and it is way stronger than any glue ought to be lol. I think I've also seen other builds where they didn't bond it to the walls at all and seem to have just relied on the tight fit to keep it in place which would worry me.

Last edited:

Geo.Lander

Sorry for the radio Silence. new jobs, travel and houses have sort of taken up all our time the last 6 months, full writeup incoming soon!
For now just a pic dump with with latest and short summary!

* Storage lockers are fully fitted now with doors and locks

* The last fitting of the hydraulic lifting RUB bar is ongoing, I am very happy with the design we came up with and AV execution of it! It has towing and MC lifting capacity with 3 2" receivers for stability

* Box brush bars are fitted

* New battery design incoming too, stay tuned for that one!

* Water tank and inlet fitted as well as various grey water plumbing, more info incoming

* The steps have not worked out as planned unfortunately, AV have been really understanding to be honest because we were not happy with how they functioned so they have been removed from the deliverables, it is pretty clear that not all custom design items go as planned. We have to come up with another solution but it might be a step ladder for a few years ;) I have to say I am super happy with how AV dealt with this, the steps were perfectly functional but not as stable as we wanted, so they were very accommodating with our request to remove it.

20221125_164243 copy.jpg20221108_152946 (1).jpg20221108_155716 (1).jpgAccess steps.jpg20221125_164257.jpg20221108_152958 (1).jpgimage012.jpg
image010 (1).jpgScreenshot 2023-02-23 at 18.19.03.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles